The Corroboree
Chemakazi

EBA Reborn

username thanks for revitalising this thread, as you say discussion on the subject has be reignited.

for all mods involved the last year or so has been very upsetting, and we all have tried really hard to make sure the forum gets back to everyone, i can see chems frustration as i also felt it, chem has put in hours of work as he has stated and i know teo has tried really hard as well to get more people to post over there with the grafting comp. when chem had orginally fixed the forum i think we were excited about having it back without the problems but i think when it went away again people got further frustrated with the forum and just couldnt be fucked anymore, totally understandable.

so if it is coming back chem i think we all need to think if we wish for it to be there, and if so begin by putting input into the forum again, little by little it shall seem like it never had a technical glitch.

that just some thoughts.

a group admin would be good to keep ontop of any problems.

but it isnt fari also that chem cops the finacial side of keeping it running, this maybe something that needs to be addressed somehow, i am not sure how at the moment as i am sure non of us are really that finacial. so maybe there needs to be somesort of system set up????

with all the arguements and what not lately, maybe this is a good way for the ethnobotany commuity to band together and put energy into workgn together and not against each other after all arent we all intersted in the plants? what can we learn from the plants? how can we share this knowledge with each other?

Ever since EBA went down I had been checking the site almost every day to see if it was back. To hear that it wont be returning simply breaks my heart. The site was incredibly informative, and there was a great sense of community. Even as a newbie I felt comfortable there.

I am in full support of bringing it back.

Cant contribute technically but I can offer a little financial assistance if it makes any difference.

I'm quite happy to continue when it is back up again.

Gives me something to do when I quite often have insomnia.

Something very weird happened today. The only excuse for it happening is that I'm not quite sober.

i was going through my [email protected] there where all these emails from eba. I clicked on the link and ended up in the old eba.

http://ethnobotany-australia.net/phpBB2-2....ewforum.php?f=1

I found some spam messages in "vascular plants" and deleteted them.

I checked my messages and found that a lot of old messages I had thought to have been deleted where still there.

I deleted them as fast as i could.

There were recent posts in most of the forums.

i recommend for everyone to go there check their old accounts and delete your messages.

when I click on the new eba link this comes up:

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Edited by gomaos

^^^^ Yeah I noticed the same thing the other day. Pleople are still posting in the old forum !

What's intriguing is that new member joinups appear to have been possible for a time?

dazzle

I tried joining up on the old forum but it has a database error so it's a no go.

And the forum logo and masthead has changed??

loph2.jpg

Edited by ~username

.... and the reason there were so few visitors to the new eba was that many ppl didn't know about the new site and simply kept logging in and posting in the old eba

.... and the reason there were so few visitors to the new eba was that many ppl didn't know about the new site and simply kept logging in and posting in the old eba

Gomaos, perhaps you should have put a big STICKY post up in all the subforums telling people the new address and that it will be up in a few days.

That may redirect the people to the new place.

Edited by ~username

Gomaos, perhaps you should have put a big STICKY post up in all the subforums telling people the new address and that it will be up in a few days.

and if you had any idea what you are talking about you knew that that exact thing had been done by chemikazi..

and if you had any idea what you are talking about you knew that that exact thing had been done by chemikazi..

Can you post the URL for it?

The only thing I've noticed is that on your section where you are moderator "Vascular Plants"...

http://ethnobotany-australia.net/phpBB2-2....ewforum.php?f=1

there are no sticky posts redirecting people at all that I can ascertain. Perhaps I'm seeing something else but it even appears that you replied to someone on the old forum regarding transplanting some plants only today. Maybe the forum software's date feature is corrupted?

It appears that when I use Firefox that I am able to register. There was no 'type in a code' requirement and the software seems to have been changed.

http://ethnobotany-australia.net/phpBB2-2....opic.php?t=4420

So everyone can just register at the old forum I guess and start afresh? It appears people have been registering and posting for a while as already ovserved.

Does anyone think it's a bad idea to join up there? Who modified the software anyhow and when?

It appears that registrations started up again on the 12 Nov 2006, and at least 700 spam bots have registered on the forum bringing the member number up to 2800 or so.

Edited by ~username

i think eccles fixed the sign up procedure the last time he popped in. that forum incarnation is a dead end. best to get the new one going again asap and to make sure everyone knows about the new location. a forum can only survive if it is well maintained and there is no one to maintain the old forum.

everyoen please dotn use the olf forum it is not worhty, it is dead dont raise the dead, the new forum is the forum that chem hs done the work on, there were many psots about it over the last year, once again leave the old forum there is no point with it.

hebrew I admire your self control and calmness in your response, you teach me a lot even when you don't know it, personally I wouldn't have been so calm.

And yes, please do not raise the dead, the only reason eba.net is still up is because we can't contact eccles.

I swear I recall a sticky post in every forum on eba.net from chem about the move, but then again there were so many posts we had to make over the years about these issues that it gets confusing, especially when there was absolutely nothing any of us could do except for eccles.

In the campfire there is at least one, but even then most people ignored it, didn't see it, or simply couldn't be bothered reading it IMO

http://ethnobotany-australia.net/phpBB2-2....opic.php?t=4368

Chem whatever your decision you did an excellent job and I've got a great deal of respect for you, the team and the members stuck at it flogging a dead horse for years in a hope we could bring it to life, the feelings felt over the last year in relation to our efforts was incredibly saddening and frustrating to say the least, and that respect deeply extends to all the the mods but you guys already know how I feel.

Sob, personally your comments re the forum and the mods are quite frustrating and make me angry, you honestly have absolutely no idea what went on and the time, effort , $$ that we put into it over the years. We did this for the love of the forum and the community, nice to know that people thought we don't give a shit, thankyou very much.

I can sort of see where you are coming from, but you took a very shallow pool of information and ran with it.

I don't know how I responded in an email to you, but it would have been similar to the one you posted, the mods were constantly flooded with these emails of which we could do nothing to fix the issues, we would try and explain the situation but it fell on deaf ears a lot of the time and eventually they became fairly blunt but still communicated the issues. I can understand your frustration with such simple responses but honestly they give the most information that could honestly be offered.

I don't want to antagonise, start a fight or whatever, but I can't sit back and let the comment slide, it's very disappointing. We all worked our arses off even when a lot (all??) of us had a lot of serious personal issues happening, day to day life was a struggle at least for me but we still kept at it and did our best.

T, chema and all others (you know who you are) I really admire your strength with what you do, I would have collapsed years ago if not for the support and people to look up to.

Sob, personally your comments re the forum and the mods are quite frustrating and make me angry, you honestly have absolutely no idea what went on and the time, effort , $$ that we put into it over the years. We did this for the love of the forum and the community, nice to know that people thought we don't give a shit, thankyou very much.

I can sort of see where you are coming from, but you took a very shallow pool of information and ran with it.

I don't know how I responded in an email to you, but it would have been similar to the one you posted, the mods were constantly flooded with these emails of which we could do nothing to fix the issues, we would try and explain the situation but it fell on deaf ears a lot of the time and eventually they became fairly blunt but still communicated the issues. I can understand your frustration with such simple responses but honestly they give the most information that could honestly be offered.

Let me say again that I'm only reporting my experiences and I don't pretend to know the untold history about it.

However I must say that having learned of some of the history I understand better why people are angered and thank you for explaining it a bit further. Ultimately I think that the frustration I felt as a stranger not being able to register must have been magnified even more in the members who knew of the problems and were powerless to act so I understand the frustration against what I have posted but it is only my experience I've recounted.

I'm stating what I did as an independent third party to the events which were obviously occuring at the terminal stages of the forum.

username, you are very annoying.

Don't you have any better things to do then following people around and nagging at them?

It's just like those jobs i started where those "pseudo-supervisors" (not the real supervisors) follow you around and criticise your every move.

I rather be unemployed than putting up with those people.

username, Get off the damn speed!!!

Edited by gomaos

everyoen please dotn use the olf forum it is not worhty, it is dead dont raise the dead

it's still got our names as moderators, and we are in a way responsible for what is being posted.

If criminal things are posted, and we don't moderate, ultimately we can be blamed.

It's the same with my old gomaos-garden website, still advertising nicotiana and other things i haven'd had for ages, luckily I took out kratom before it became inaccessible.

I don't really feel good about still advertising nicotiana, but no-one can delete it for me...

I've asked didfferent people but no-one can get in.

everyoen please dotn use the olf forum it is not worhty, it is dead dont raise the dead

it's still got our names as moderators, and we are in a way responsible for what is being posted.

If criminal things are posted, and we don't moderate, ultimately we can be blamed.

you're right, but what can we do about it?

perhaps ask another script kiddy to completely do it over ? ;)

it definitely needs to be taken down.

I don't understand the problem.

From the beginning, I offered my time and money to host and run EBA. If those are the only issues Chem, then if you can hook me up with a database dump I will take care of all the rest.

I'm happy to do it even if no-one uses it.

I don't really feel good about still advertising nicotiana, but no-one can delete it for me...

I've asked didfferent people but no-one can get in.

wtf, I've repeatedly given you and others your log in details so this can be fixed.

hahaha what a can of worms this thread is hey kinda funny.

apoth is completely rigth int hat he has offered to take care of EBA many times.

chem maybe if you dotn feel like going ahead apoth can take care of it if you are still up for it

well if there is anythign i can do please just ask. i am always around

gomaos garden pricelist is fixed, thanks apothecary.

hahaha what a can of worms this thread is hey kinda funny

there's indeed a funny side to it.

one just has to be open for it.

I think I'm slowly getting there.

gomaos garden pricelist is fixed, thanks apothecary.

hahaha what a can of worms this thread is hey kinda funny

there's indeed a funny side to it.

one just has to be open for it.

I think I'm slowly getting there.

um, all links in the header work except 'plants & herbs' gom... or just me?... anyone?...