The Corroboree
Chemakazi

EBA Reborn

Hey Everyone.

This is the thread where im going to post some news and updates on the situation with the new and improved EBA :)

First off im trying to cull the database of excess weight, i estimate 30% of the users are spammers from when the site was left open. I want to try and reduce the size and clean up the tables. If i accidently delete someone it will be coz u didnt post anyway :P

2nd is new forum software, personally i like what torsten is using with invision but having 2 forums using the same software isnt a good idea... diversity..

So that leaves us with a few choices, my 2nd choice is probably vbulletin. With that comes costs and its these costs hopefully can be covered by dontations.

Well i should say i know dontations WILL cover when the money isnt wasted on shitty overpriced hosting...

3rd will be converting over to the new forum the database and redesigning of all the artworks etc.

So this is basically what im looking at first to get the site into a decent state. To pay for the sites on going costs i think the auction / contribuiton thing worked excellent in the past and again more than enough if your not wasting the money on overpriced hosts. The website i dont want "owned" by anyone one person i would prefer it to be a "community owned" forum where everyone has their say.

Does anyone have some suggestions or requests ... ideas etc about how to make EBA better?

Yay :)

Chem make sure there is more then one person with full admin access. Only suggestion I can make is we merge those forums as was mentioned at EBA. Pharmacology and chemistry was definetly agreed on, the other I suggested was entheogenic plants and medicinal plants into vascular plants, leaving general ethnobotany as the sole anthrapology bit, but this wasnt agreed on by all mods if i remember. Those forums were the ones with the least traffic so kinda makes sense to merge them. And perhaps add what was discussed here, thats a subsection inside each vascular plants, cacti and fungi which is for ID's. Once ID is solved thread title is changed to solved and perhaps the pictures can be pooled so all pachanoid together etc.

Edited by teonanacatl

Realistically teo, at best, we will be able to replicate the old forum structure. Doubt we can do any merging or anything without seriously borking the database.

At worst, it seems that eccles has modified the database structure somewhat so it may make converting to new software harder than originally hoped for.

Why? We don't know.

Oh an perhaps we could make a sort of online library of articles etc

Oh just read your post apoth, these forums have a merge feature or a move feature is probably a better term, perhaps once its up and running the merge/move can be carried out then rework the main options?'

wish you guys the best :D

Edited by teonanacatl

May I suggest a change in forum software?

http://www.simplemachines.org/

It's able to convert from various other forum software. The EBA site has no credits at the bottom, but I'm guessing it's an Invision PB system.

There is a convertor for that software:

http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?converters

It's a nice piece of software and I'd suggest it's looked at as an option.

That was the plan.

Currently EBA runs on phpbb 2.0.x9 and that is the problem.

Yes, I know, there is a converter for that too :)

We were also considering UltimaBB.

It was just a bit before your time, but I set up a replacement EBA forum once already that was running on SMF.

yep the ultimaBB system sina showed me seems to be the best choice with security in mind for a free forum software. Ive decided to go the free route for less hassles.

Problem is the databse wont restore properly. So i have to do manual reconstruction to phpbb2 first.

then use auto converters from phpbb2 -> XMB and then XMB- -> UltimaBB.

Long winded but it has to be done.

your final software should allow you to merge forums - most do. probably best not to complicate things in the transition phase, but definitely something you should consider before going live.

Hey everyone.

Well good news, after 10 hours of manually reconstructing the database i managed to get it working stable and have it running on the new forum software.

To show u the degree the forum was u mucked up by hacks and spammers, the orignal real userbase is 560 users. I removed 1400 invalid + hacked + spammer names from the system, and probably 400 of them where users that tried to register and couldnt. The new forum looks great tho and im really happy i managed to save it all and get it to work.

The new domain name is http://www.ethnobotany-australia.org

This wont be availble for about 48 hours as the dns and hosting is setup.

:)

Ok well ive nearly finished the restoration, the chemistry forum is really screwy and might have to be started again because its just not going back together. I guess one is better than all

Wow! So even after my long absence, Eccles is still AWOL?

It's good to see people are still working at getting EBA up and working again though! :)

Hey everyone.

Site took a bit longer than expected with organising the hosting. EBA is now running on my dual opteron dedicated server :)

So without futher adoo i announce the rebirth of Ethnobotany-Australia.

Where can you find the new EBA?

For those who cant wait for the DNS propgation can view the site here:

http://72.36.255.202/~ethnobot

The new domain name will take about 24 hours to propate through my new name servers. But when it has EBA can be found at:

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.org

I have some more work to finish up the new sites template (just a few buttons) but other than that its close to complete. Its taken me alot of my free time and effort so I hope everyone can enjoy the new site.

Feedback and comments is welcomed and appreciated. Its what makes things better...

A special thanks goes out to Sina for getting me motivated to actually get off my ass and do what needed to be done.. Im sure all the mods know just how long this has been.. :bong:

Edited by Chemakazi

Hi Chemakazi,

that´s great news! I´m glad that EBA finally has made it´s way back out of the Dark! I´m sure your efforts will pay off soon with many new members! I´m looking forward to finally use the Board!

Hi Chemakazi,

that´s great news! I´m glad that EBA finally has made it´s way back out of the Dark! I´m sure your efforts will pay off soon with many new members! I´m looking forward to finally use the Board!

lol yea i think the biggest shock for people will be that they can actually register and login now :o

lol yea i think the biggest shock for people will be that they can actually register and login now :o

cool, I don't have to tell ppl to "wait" anymore....

Good work :)

Peer Guardian blocked the site saying I was being attacked by "theives and scumbags" :lol: no joke

So if folks with PG have trouble just tell 'em to put the site on permanent allow.

Good work :)

Peer Guardian blocked the site saying I was being attacked by "theives and scumbags" :lol: no joke

So if folks with PG have trouble just tell 'em to put the site on permanent allow.

Auxin that is amusing :) I only recieved that ip 2 days ago for my server so i guess its been abused somewhere before. Is there anything spammers havnt stuffed on us already? :angry:

Thanks for the heads up, i will contact peerguardian in reguard to getting that ip removed from their list.

i will contact peerguardian in reguard to getting that ip removed from their list.

ROTFL I wish you tremendous luck, based on experiences of people I know you'll need it.

PG/Bluetack is funny like that, they once accidentally blocked the main server for a P2P application in their list meant to make P2Ps run more smoothly and no amount of pleading persuaded them to fix it.

ROTFL I wish you tremendous luck, based on experiences of people I know you'll need it.

PG/Bluetack is funny like that, they once accidentally blocked the main server for a P2P application in their list meant to make P2Ps run more smoothly and no amount of pleading persuaded them to fix it.

lol that bad is it aye.

I doubt ill bother wasting my time then if they take that sort of stance.

My guess is that this is just to do with the unresolved domain name status that PG flags as unsafe.

Well done chem, looking great! And who did the banner? Nice one.

One thing that may be an issue is that the moderators discussion forum is visible when I'm not logged in - meaning it may be visible to everyone.

My guess is that this is just to do with the unresolved domain name status that PG flags as unsafe.

never thought of that, that is a possible reason.

Creach i did the banner, seems the old webdesign /gfx design skills are still in me somewhere :)

I fixed up the forum permissions, thanks for letting us know.

:worship: Looks great!! Love the banner.

Thanks so much chem and apoth you've made my day :)

Much appreciated guys...