The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

Cactus ID: Image heavy

Question

Hi all,

I'd recounted a story of some cacti I'd moved away from living areas because a visiting child had unwittingly handled them. I looked at them today and found that perhaps one of them is a Trichocereus? Which species is it if so?

I'd appreciate help in identifying any of the others also.

4 answers to this question

4th pic down, centre looks like T. spachianus (or whatever it's now called in Echinopsis)

There's a few more spach-looking ones too.

Hi sobriquet,

this could possibly be a Lobivia/Echinopsis Purpurea. Not sure if this is a valid name but i bought some labeled like that and which look exactly the same. I would place them into Trichocereus. Or one of the countless echinopsis hybrids. But a spach is another possibility. I always have Problems with this particular Trich. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

Thanks guys.

T. spachianus is convincing enough. It hasn't flowered yet so I can't be sure if it has white flowers but I'll know eventually.

I'd say that Echinopsis there is just your typical "grandiflorus" sort, which pretty much means crap as these sorts of Echinopsis have been hybrid to a degree unmatched by most any other Echinopsis (see the Schick Hybrids) and are ubiquitous (I always wanted to use that word in a sentence).

I'd probably call it simply Echinopsis "grandiflorus" in a very casual way until it flowered and it can be looked at again. Some of the other plants you have there are Mammillaria, Gymnocalycium mihanovichii, and maybe Echinopsis chamaecereus. The really white spined one might be a Notocactus. I'm not with my books to ID that well right now.

~Michael~