The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PD.

??Kimuras giant??

The first thing about this plant is the amount of flowers it produces, i guess this could be due to the age but even some of the smaller arms that look to be only a year or two old have flowers forming on them.

This is reason the plant looks "fat", alot of the areoles have sunken in because they have had flowers

img0016ob9.jpg

The next different thing i noticed, well, its different to all the other strains i have, is the way the spines grow.

The first spine that appears is mostly horizontal.

img0145aw5.jpg

and yeah, WR's cut does look very similar.

img0146bg9.jpg

I have no ideas on the origin of the plant but i would say it is very old judging by the amount of fallen flowers at the base and the thickness of some arms. It looks to have had no care and the present owner isnt really that interested in cacti, the plant was there when she got the house. After a bit of light conversation i convinced her that some of the older arms should be cut to let new growth through, haha :devil:

img01341vh0.jpg

So i guess it is worth driving around some of the older properties in bumf**k, it costs a bit in petrol but the rewards are sometimes great.

img001421ur2.jpg

I am constntly blown way by your photos PD, just amazing! :drool:

Are the pics from the cacti feild of your own collection?

How many CM wide are they? Kimuras is around 15+

This plant is out in the middle of nowhere and was found on one of my cactus hunts. Get Nat and Ellie in the car and off we go for a few hours of driving down backroads miles from anywhere. Alot of the old properties around southern nsw have big cacti, its just a matter of driving for hours to find them and then hoping the owner is there to ask for cuts.

haha, i really wish i had a plant that big of my own, i prolly would have to if my dad didnt get rid of the massive pedro my mum keeps telling me they used to have. My dad gave a few cuts to a mate and he then grew it. Then he built a massive shed and got rid of the plant but not before he got rid of some cuts. This is where the twist is. My mother is positive that a man (Mr. Robinson) got a cut and planted it in his front yard, that was around eighteen years ago, and my mum is sure it is the plant in the "friendly neighbour" thread. Its like the plant wants me to get it back to the farm where it started :blink: Its only taken around 30 years, but it has come full circle.

How many CM wide are they?

The fattest cut that i have here is about 36cms around. There are plenty of fatter arms on the mother though.

Rib counts match as well at 7-9.

Can anyone that has Kimura's in the states confirm the similiarities??

Oh yeah, thanks Passive. Love your work! :):):)

Yep, this is definately the plant Trip and I have.

However i havent had the pleasure of coming accross a motherplant as mature as the one Passive has portrayed in his photos.

That glaucous is BEWDIFUL!

It seems to me that rural australia is a treasure trove just waiting to be explored.

Ive come accross most of my scores in Urban environments, as pedro was a popular garden plant in the 70's. The thing that amazes me is the diversity in what you find.

I have heard reports of monster pedros on the back roads between melbourne and adelaide, but we need ADRIAN aka 'earthpod sux' to go on his ever ellusive cacti hunt to confirm the urban legends.

p.s many of these have 7 plus ribs... i wonder if its a 'headcracker' :uzi::wacko:

I have a cutting of Kimuras actually. I can't say it is that different but I suspect it is distinct.

Yeah, I've only seen Kimura's as a cutting with pup, but it does appear a bit different from those posted pics.

With the exception of the third photo that is. I'm assuming that's WR's Kimura's cutting. It certainly looks like mine.

Only upside down :P

Yeah, I've only seen Kimura's as a cutting with pup, but it does appear a bit different from those posted pics.

With the exception of the third photo that is. I'm assuming that's WR's Kimura's cutting. It certainly looks like mine.

Only upside down :P

:lol: i have that cutting sitting right next to me at the moment.

it certainly looks like mine. Only upside down.

i have that cutting sitting right next to me at the moment.

You better stand on your head then Passive!

Nope gusto I've had mine in the ground for months. Planted it right side up too :wub:

post-1223-1159886106_thumb.jpg

Even if there is a valid contention that it is just a pachanoi form, I do see some traits that i think of as terscheckioid in the Kimuras.

I am constntly blown way by your photos PD, just amazing! :drool:

Yeah.. you the MAN pd...

Wow.

I have to keep my eyes peeled for these from now on; especially around the older suburbs that might be more likely to have these as landscaping plants and would be large enough to spot.

How do you guys cut these big specimens? Machete or saw?

Just so I can be prepared :)

This is why I am in a very great debt to a fellow nooker and cactophile par excellance for this cutting.

without a doubt this is the most spectacular pup I have seen. It has hues of blue and green which are almost like CGI or acrylic paint. I look forward to passing along this good karma once I have a well established plant.

post-1223-1160705411_thumb.jpg