The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

40mm copper pipe

I need about 10cm of 40mm copper pipe, i tried the supplier i bought all my other stuff from they only sell it in metre lengths, which is bit to exxy considering i only need 10cm or less. Anyone got any spare?

40mm and 1 1/2" pipe are interchangable as far as i can tell.

Hmmmm, I can think of a few abandoned buildings that still have the copper left in them. :wink:

1 1/2" is actually 38mm, but with alot of the standards, you'll find 40mm should fit...

You talking BSP, GAS, WHITWORTH or AF threads? :lol:

How much is the metre worth? I know copper ain't cheap, but how exxy is it?

Edited by Benzito

I was thinking of searching some old buildings.

It just needs to be copper lol for a still, no thread 2" was $50/metre

Hey Teo,I'll check out at the shed at mum's place...I might have some fridgey-grade off-cuts left.

Otherwise when Dad rings I'll ask him to rat through his van.

It won't be for a couple of days 'cause we've got our 20th yr 10 reunion this weekend!

Fuck I'm getting old :o

Lol dam, I remember doing boiler refits with my dad and hauling out trailer loads of copper pipe of all different sizes. Think all the old boilers have been converted to the new kit ones now tho :(

Was that OD or ID dimensions Teo?

I picked up a 1m length of 1&1/8" from the shed but there's some 1&1/2" out there too(plumbers and fridgy's rate the dimensions differently)

I'll get the calipers out tomorrow and measure the dimensions for ya!

If it's close enough then I can swage it out to suit what you want.

internal diameter is about 38mm. Sweet as :D:D:D

Also can you buy screw in sections made of copper or will i havta get brass and treat it. I want to be able to remove the condenser from the top of the reflux column so i can turn it into a pot still so i figured screw in would be grand way of doing that.

do down to a scrap metal yard and offer the guy a beer for a scrap piece

The ID of the piece I have is only 28mm so prolly no good.As far as fridgey grade gear I'd estimate 1&3/8" OD,which I might have, but I'd be a bit worried about threading it (thinning the wall thicknesss) because of the pressure and possibility of injury.

Could you sacrifice diameter for length maybe??

BTW silver solder is a lot stronger than brazing as far as pressure handling goes.

ahh thanks man but the tee connector ive got is 38mm internal. Imma check out a scrap metal yard. I got some silver solder and a propane torch, forgot the flux so im going back to get that tomorrow. I may also just solder the two tee sections together. Or ill go buy 1m of it and make some more columns.