The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wisemonkey

'Super Pedro'

Hey there guys, just bought myself some 'super pedro'. I believe it is a hybrid with some scop in it. Can anybody tell me more about this cactus. It wasnt wearing tights but it may persuade me to don a pair.(something I used to do in my past life). Any info would be great

Edited by Evil Genius

this is the plant i was selling as 'pachanoid' earlier in the year.

theres some photos of it at the top of my 'bunch o photos' thread.

I believe all the 'super pedro' being sold is coming from one particular grower out in NEvic

Edited by Evil Genius

this is the plant i was selling as 'pachanoid' earlier in the year.

is this 'super pedro' the pach i bought of u along with the bridgesii e?

just for tagging sakes.

yep, at least from memory anyway...

they were quite big and robust through the midsection, and the skin is considerably thick in comparison to some pachanois ive come accross.

The grow tips didnt look TOO different, except that some were twice the size of a normal pachnoi grow tip.

I would agree with the 'possibility' of these being a hybrid between scop and pach, however i know the mother plants are over 25 years old.

sounds grand! anyone know where i could source a cutting?

Happy Herbs down here in Melb has been selling it on & off. Also some good bridgesii cuttings too. I actually got mine from the cactus man at the Vic markets. Both these vendors are highly recommended & extremely helpful, although I would gather probably not very convenient for you.

as i said, check the top pics on my 'a bunch of photos' thread.

the pachanoi that are in the top section of photos are the 'super pedro' although im not sure if i have any good close ups of them.

edit- here ya go: super pedro

Edited by ({E})
  • Like 1

ahhh nice one!! thanks!!! ah it's not the same one... think mine is a pachanoi/peruvian.. would love one of those!!! :)

Holy begebbers, that thing is HUGE! Really weird how it can be so incredibly thick but have such a thin vascular ring.

If you think it a pach/scop hybrid would you say it was with the standard really small spined scop or with the longer spined scop? I was thinking the later. The glaucus nature throws me off a bit too as scops don't have much of it but these seem to have a nice bloom of it.

~Michael~

• Like 1

Looks similar to my scop X pach but not the same. They get heaps glacous and fat as. Spines on mine are in some cases longer then pachanoi spines.

Edited by Evil Genius

Here it is, "Super pedro"

img0144hb7.jpg

img0143tn2.jpg

I've been trying to keep my mouth shut about the happy herb shop, but I spent about fifteen minutes trying to find out what kind of cactus this 'super pedro' was, first i was told it was san pedro, then when I asked for a botanic name as was told that was also san pedro. after further awkward conversation involving the woman basically not having a clue about her products, i left feeling somewhat pissed off.

If someone wants to sell psychedelic products they should damn well have read about them, and one of the first things you learn when reading about cacti is there latin names, the woman is nothing but detrimental to the scene.

Edited by Evil Genius

hmmmmmm..... not sure which one you are talking about.

Here is some more pics for you anyways

img0038bd61ya2.jpg

img0043hm01ti6.jpg

img01800rt1ej2.jpg

prier i went in there one day

and i asked about the price of the bridgesii

she says no its called achuma, i responed by saying yes it is ALSO known as achuma but can ALSO be called bridgesii.

anyway since she knew sweet fuck all about her product i continued looking at some herbs i was intersted in

then the phone rang.

obviously the person on the other end of the phone was askign about cactus she said we have pedro which there are none left and achuma. she must of got asked aquestion about what the difference is and she said 5 dollars, i then left

man how did she get the job?

Edited by Evil Genius

hmmmmmm..... not sure which one you are talking about.

Here is some more pics for you anyways

Yeah those photo's were in the post I was referring to. I take it that the first dark shot of a huge plant that shows it's yearly growth cycles is the same one? I think I may have it is all.

I've been trying to keep my mouth shut about the happy herb shop, but I spent about fifteen minutes trying to find out what kind of cactus this 'super pedro' was, first i was told it was san pedro, then when I asked for a botanic name as was told that was also san pedro, quickly after she blurted out that it contained mescaline to a shop full of people, yet i was only interested in it as a plant to grow. after further awkward conversation involving the woman basically not having a clue about her products, i left feeling somewhat pissed off.

If someone wants to sell psychedelic products they should damn well have read about them, and one of the first things you learn when reading about cacti is there latin names, the woman is nothing but detrimental to the scene.

this has been my overall experience of HHH. The times i have visited the shops, in melbourne, byron and newtown, i have been incredibally disappointed in the level of understanding and overall 'awareness' shown by the shopkeepers.

The byron shop is a good example why some things shouldnt be taken to the mainstream, or at least how taking things to the mainstream can be percieved to be 'selling out'.

However, i must say that i have had good communication and interaction with Rob from nimbin hhh.

Also, a very dear friend was running a HHH stall in Melbourne for some time (and earlier around the northern rivers). His stall was amaizing and did excellant things for the australian psy scene, and he is one of he few people associated with HHH i have had confidence in. He could match the products with an informative and integrated approach to customers, and relevent plant information.

sometimes it seems that HHH has become too much of a trendy business, and lost its passion and 'grounding'.

In regards to the 'super pedro', those photos passive just posted make it look a lot more like a scop varient then a pacha'noid'.

There are some plants that this grower has that have been sold in melbourne as 'cuzcoensis'. Im very interested in locating this plant, and perhaps passive daemon can investigate further.

Edited by Evil Genius

Hey Passive, that top pic in the Free Stuff thread looks awfully like the Kimura's Giant!

Care to start a new thread for some more input?

Im very interested in locating this plant, and perhaps passive daemon can investigate further.

I know the plant you talk of E and it will need some time to regenerate as far as im aware, but it is one that needs to be shared throughout the community i beleive. It certainly is a strange looking tricho and there hasnt been a positive ID on it yet.

Hey Passive, that top pic in the Free Stuff thread looks awfully like the Kimura's Giant!

Can you enlighten me Tripi?

Can you enlighten me Tripi?

i believe he was referring to this plant img0015pl2.jpg

(your photo)

but i havent come accross the 'kimuras giant' anywhere as yet.

well that strain is unlike most pach i have come across in the limited time i have been searching for these plants and it flowers like none other i have seen. Flowers EVERYWHERE.

yeah im curious about this one.

ive come accross it too, and it seems to have a pale yellow hue to its colour and it is either swollen to the point of almost no ribs, or dehydrated to the point of looking like a cereus.

at first it thought it was just a normal pach with some kind of environmental stress, but ive seen it in a few different places, and growing the same throughout a garden alongside perfectly healthy 'normal' pacs,

it also grows very 'tall' with less branching out.

Ok, compare it to Whiterasta's plant in this thread.

Spring/summer PNW

and the two plants here, first Whiterasta's and then a cutting from the AUS plant

cacti011.jpg

P2100001.jpg

Could we get a better photo of specimen Passive?

Ok, compare it to Whiterasta's plant in this thread.

Spring/summer PNW

and the two plants here, first Whiterasta's and then a cutting from the AUS plant

cacti011-T.jpg

bigger piccie HERE

P2100001.jpg

Could we get a better photo of specimen Passive?

Edited by Tripitaka