The Corroboree
cactuslady60

Australian Open Garden selling all cacti & succulents

Long cuts of pachanoi and lopho's hey, hmm, they must have been somewhere else? I cant say I saw them. congrats. Did you end up going sobriquet? did you find what you were looking for?

Hi Andy.

Nope. I read your other thread and when you said there were no lophs I made other plans for the day.

I live pretty close to the location too (5 mins by car) so it was a disappointment to find out there was nothing left or available from your post.

It seems there were some however but alas I never got a chance to find out. I think cactuslady's first post mentioning someone lucky and your info that the lophs were cleaned out may have something to do with each other. Maybe that's how cactuslady found out to post it here.

The real freaky thing was when I discovered what a small world it was when I bumped upon a friend who works at Logan Hospital last night in the city. I don't recall how it came up but she said they went to an ABC open garden yesterday after work and it didn't quite click to me immediately that it was cactuslady's sale until she mentioned that she had bought some "cacti"!

When I told here I had planned to go, she said I hadn't missed much and that many of the plants for sale were in poor condition and many looked positively neglected. She said not everything was for sale and many of the larger, nicer and rarer things were absolutely not for sale because she offered a large amount of money for one cactus in particular and it was rejected.

I'm not sure which type of cactus she was talking about to be honest but she's not into ethnobotanicals so I dont think it was a Trichocereus or anything. She said it had a faded label and it may have been a "Parrotia" but my Google search gives that species to be a deciduous "Persian Ironwood" so again I'm not sure what she was talking about. She said she did get some smaller specimens of the cactus in question or at least appeared similar, which were unlabelled and she said she'd be more than happy to give me one of the plants cheaply later.

She said the prices were very fair for the (poorish) condition of the plants. She also says that the woman helping her (?? if it was cactuslady herself) told her to soak the plants in an insecticide before letting them into her general collection!

Anyhow, the coincidence absolutely blew me away and I'm looking forward to finding out what it was that she got that she has kindly offered me a specimen of. The insecticide soak didn't sound too promising though so I may be wary in accepting it!

Many of the plants were not in top conditions, but to be honest this more than reflected in the price. I go to a lot of cactus sales, shows and open gardens and some of the things I picked up for $10 to $20 would be $30 to $80 at other shows. If this means a bit of pruning and repotting then so what?!? Some of the large plants I bought for $15 are being propagated into 10 smaller ones, so paying $1.50 for a cutting is just ridiculously low.

However, this applied only to the neglected cactus collection itself. It did not apply to the sale displays in the garden. The plants were still cheap, but looked much better.

You get what you pay for. This sale was a bout cheap plants sold by someone who was selling a PARTIAL collection. if you are experienced with buying plants from collectors then you would know that they do not keep sale plants and collections plants separate most of the time, but rather have them mixed up or sorted by groupings. This was the case here. So, many plants were simply not for sale. What's wrong with that? It's not a shop, but a collection sale.

In this case cactuslady decided to keep most of her Astrophytum and succulent collection. Still, about 60 or 70 of the contents of the cactus house were for sale, so plenty of bargains to be had for the experienced and the patient.

The cactus you are thinking of is Parodia. I picked up a couple of these too.

Except for some of the plants in the front garden I would say a lot of her plants were "hard grown" as she put it more than diseased or overly neglected however I could understand most people getting this opinion from the look of some of the Astro's., gee they were beautiful!

The reason I said there were no lopho's, astro's or tricho's for sale/left was because thats what she told me when I arrived and I didnt see any in the main shade house or in the yard which were the only places I was allowed to look (bar a small scop and a bridgesii in the front yard).

Im thinking maybe Cactuslady thought I was being sly not stupid or jst a mesc head.. LOL. I sure hope not. or maybe she got some more stuff in when I told he how keen I was and that other forum members would be comming.

The pestacide comment is interesting, you may also like to know that Cactuslady uses granular fungacide in her soil

Anyway.. Im keen to see some pics :)

The cactus you are thinking of is Parodia. I picked up a couple of these too.

Hi Torsten. The information is second hand so take it for what it is worth. She obviously found some plants worth buying, but I don't think price was something she complained about at all. Yours and others posts seem to corroborate that the prices reflected the condition of the plants which is confirmed to have not been so great.

I emailed her the 'Parodia' information and she has confirmed that it looks very much like this image found on Google images:

PA309689e.jpg

so it might be Parodia magnifica. What a great name.

And I'm looking forward to getting a piece of this next week after she has soaked the new plants in some Rogor. I hope it doesn't have too many blemishes or rot spots etc. I'm still wary with the insecticide soak info. Just wondering if it means red spider mite?

Anyhow I'll post pics when I get the plant later this week.

Cant say I noticed any spidermite, Im guessing prolly mealybug in the roots?

In general I think its best to give all new plants a treatment when they are being added to an established collection.. with cactus I think both a pestacide and fungacide treatment is worthwhile.

That Parodia is beautiful! WOW. I would love one if someone wants to part with it!

That Parodia is beautiful! WOW. I would love one if someone wants to part with it!

Yes I liked it the instant I saw that picture.

I can't wait to get a specimen either. My friend soaked the plants on Sunday apparently and I might be getting it this afternoon!

She says the specimen she saw at the open garden was similarly beautiful to that pic but the plants she got were much much smaller so there are many years of growing to do before they reach that sort of magnificence.

Still it's one of those plants you would wait for.

What is interesting is that a new classification that has been proposed includes Trichocereus, which is presently within Echinopsis into the now larger Parodia family!

So the columnar cacti we all know and love are also Parodias!

Taxonomy is a real controversial area though...

She had some nice plants for sale - Just wish i had some money :(

When I was looking around with a friend one lady came up to us and said - "If your looking for ones that have drugs in them, They ALL have drugs in them" I just said No im interested in all cacti :). She then said ppl boil them up and inject them. Lmao

You should have told her that the preferred method these days was to ingest them whole, as a suppository :lol:

Hey everyone, and CactusLady if you're still here.

This post is just to let everyone know that, well, I'm an idiot :blush:

I live less than 5min *walk* from CactusLady's place, I went to her open garden last year (where I got some real nice little cacti for like $3), I knew it was on again this year, and just plain forgot on the day(s)!!!

I remember driving past Sunday afternoon and seeing all the cars parked in the street in front of CactusLady's house reminded me of the open garden, and, exhausted from all the exam study I'd been doing, I thought "ah bugger it, i can't be arsed" (or words to effect, in another language).

Had I known there'd be so many enthobot types hanging around :BANGHEAD2:

Ah well :slap:

That's me for ya.

CactusLady *is* really nice. I was playing it all very straight when asking about/buying certain cacti last year, not wanting to freak her out by acting like a crazed mesc-head or anything... but when she gave me her business card with the cool, dare I say trippy, graphics, I thought that maybe she wasn't as naive as I might have thought. :P

Anyway, glad to see news of this made it to these forums. Sounds like a great weekend was had by all (well except for me, I spent all my time learning about n-dimensional Green's functions and Sturm-Louiville theory... bleh :puke:

Hey I'm done with that degree now! yay!! B)

OK, I'll stop rambling now... haven't slept since Sunday. Uni may have brained my damage a liitle (_8(l)

Ciao,

NP

Edited by NeuroPharmer

What did people end up doing about the entry of Cactuslady's plants in your collection?

Im pretty sure I got some white scale from one of them and after the nightmare Ive been going thorugh with root mealy bug I will be soaking them with insectacide (Rogor) this arvo.

Nice Parodia by the way.. :)