The Corroboree
-bijanto-

Microwave Sterilization: How Effective?

Despite the common pessimistic views on the use of microwave to sterilize TC media, vessels, etc, I have found this and a few more experiments that use microwaves effectively for all sorts of things, including tissue fixation, sterilization etc.

Microwave Sterilization of Plastic TC Vessels for Reuse

Mechanism of Microwave Sterilization in the Dry State

Also:

- Effect of Microwaves on Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis (Goldblith SA, Wang DI).

- Microwave oven irradiation as a method for bacterial decontamination in a clinical microbiology laboratory (Latimer JM, Matsen JM).

- Germ reduction by microwaves--microwave specific effects (Groning R, Janske U).

I have found a good all purpose substrate that is; 50% sphagnum:50%poo. lime is bad cause it gets to hot.

Wet it.

Put it in the microwave for 3 sets of tue minutes, on high. Stir between each run.

It's a good pasteurising technique. i had a problem with slow strain and got grey mould after a few weeks fanning.

This is the link

Edited by CaptAmazing

The recycling procedure did not reduce the attachment and proliferation of the following cell types: primary chicken and turkey embryo, HEp-2, Vero, BGMK, and MK-2.

So don't use your used KFC or red rooster buckets.

I wonder if it works on salmonella ?

well ive only ever tried it once with mushroom substrates and it almost as bad as not sterilising at all.

salmonella dies at 60* so i would hope so...

Do you really want to be microwaving poo in the same microwave you prepare food in?

mmm tang!