The Corroboree
sobriquet

Anyone else into knives?

The machete is double edged and given to me by my granpa, and the knife was my 18th birthday present from my brother, the other is just to keep around but was dang hard to make, Ando.

post-8557-0-30515900-1299298818_thumb.jp

post-8557-0-45681800-1299298823_thumb.jp

post-8557-0-62283500-1299298829_thumb.jp

post-8557-0-30515900-1299298818_thumb.jpg

post-8557-0-45681800-1299298823_thumb.jpg

post-8557-0-62283500-1299298829_thumb.jpg

post-8557-0-30515900-1299298818_thumb.jpg

post-8557-0-45681800-1299298823_thumb.jpg

post-8557-0-62283500-1299298829_thumb.jpg

What's the milk for?

I would say so as you can get an idea of the size of the WEAPONS.

lol. I was trying to be a smart ass but that makes sense. I didn't even think of that, I was spinning out over the bat with the nails in it and thought the milk was odd.

^ I wasn't enlarging the word weapon at you Sonny Jim. I was just emphasizing that this is what they are.

I am not trolling this thread by the way. I appreciate the craftsmanship of a good knife, so I just look at the pictures as the text is not really my cup of tea.

"^ I wasn't enlarging the word weapon at you Sonny Jim"

I didn't think you were Amazonian.

Yeah, I like the worked steal with the ripples through it. I've never seen anything like that before.

Here is a couple of tools I keep handy in my van or when I'm camping, the gerber is ok, used it a few times to get cuttings from the side of the road.....lol, one day I pulled over to admire a cactus and the farmer comes over and says I can use his spade to cut off a piece....I said cheers mate and whipped my machete out of the van, he had a real surprised look on his face, but had a laugh, I also keep a really good fold up military shovel, not one of those cheap shit ones, real handy.

We always had pocket or survival knives on us when we were kids, lived out in the country tho, the top one is a gerber and the bottom one is a Ka-bar cutlass machete, also have a kershaw folding pocket knife, expensive, but the best pocket knife I have ever owned, use it at work all the time.

post-8131-0-95962800-1299985942_thumb.jp

post-8131-0-95962800-1299985942_thumb.jpg

post-8131-0-95962800-1299985942_thumb.jpg

Edited by dundee

Just doing some Christmas shopping when I came across these and immediately thought of the good folk who frequent the fora here.

Opinel have had an excellent reputation world-wide for quality steel for longer than I can remember. They make variations of a very basic wood-handled folding-knife, with the emphasis on practical simplicity and quality steel.

I've had probably half-a-dozen or more of these in various forms over the years and not one has failed to significantly impress me on more than one occasion.

It seems they've widened their range these days.

This is their "Mushroom Knife"

Opinel-mushroom-knife-leather-lace-1.jpg

Opinel Mushroom Knife with Genuine Boar's Hair brush.

Created by Opinel to make it easier to cut and prepare mushrooms, this tool has a thin, curved blade with a serrated back, for easy removal of the cuticle

Its natural varnished beech handle incorporates a genuine boar hair brush for easy removal of soil. Pierced handle.

Handle: Beechwood

Blade: 12C27 MOD Sandvik Stainless Steel

Size closed: 4. 3/8"

Blade: 3. 1/2"

Weight: 2 oz

A quick look on ebay showed them available delivered for just shy of $30 in their most basic form (I think handle-materials and sheath are options). which is an absolute bargain in my book.

Looks beautifully designed for shrooms, although I should probably mention that it's a bit tricky honing frowning blades like this.

ed

http://www.kevinscatalog.com/Randall-Made-Model-13-6-Small-Arkansas-Toothpick/productinfo/53-0136/

I got a china copy of a larger 14 inch version.

Just a stainless cutout from a laser.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nordicknives.com/RandallGAL1.php?productmodelid=R12&focus=7#gallery

http://www.nordicknives.com/RandallGAL1.php?productmodelid=R01

Which is classical design.

No china imitations so far otherwise, I

would buy one as I like the knife design but if the cheapest price, most likely factory defect.

I saw a book while in Caloundra called 500 knives. Had some beasts, and some really amazing pieces of craftsmanship. I could hardly turn a page without wanting each knife that I saw. The longest was over 20 inches I think. Didn't pay a great deal of attn to the specs.

EDIT: Here it is on amazon.

Edited by Sheather

abandoned

Edited by dworx

I probably shouldnt post here, because all i have ever used my knife for is sharpening pencils and taking cuttings :P ...but i do love it, and feel somehow safer owning it.

Its probably just a cheapie from china, but i still think its very beautiful, especially the rosewood handle. It feels nice to hold and is the perfect size for my hand.

post-8023-0-02828800-1379370530_thumb.jp

And i'm caretaking this bad boy for a while. Its not mine, a friend bought it from a south african artisan knife-maker and wants me to scrimshaw on the handle. (daunting...)

post-8023-0-76967700-1379370756_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have always liked folding knives because i can carry them in my pocket without cutting an artery,lol. I was given a small Swiss Army knife by a friend some 30 years ago and i thought it was the best thing ever. I still have it but don't carry it as i fear losing it. Actually it wasn't really a gift, i had to give him 5 cents for it as it is considered bad luck to give a knife (or cutting implement) to a friend as it can sever the friendship, so you 'buy' it off them.

I recently bought a new pocket knife. Its a cheapy and i am sure the blade is etched and not real layered steel, but i like the look of it. I use this one to open mail and i put forth the intention that all the mail it opens will be good mail, not speeding fines etc,,,lol.

post-7430-0-93250500-1379375575_thumb.jp post-7430-0-80298900-1379375590_thumb.jp

small folder.jpg

small folding knife.jpg

small folder.jpg

small folding knife.jpg

• Like 3

Thats honestly the most beautiful knife i have ever seen Amz :)

^ :)

I sometimes browse the blade forums, and i tell ya, those people are artists... combining something useful like a blade, with other materials ... wood, bone, stone, shell etc... and creating a real work of art.

• Like 2