Anyone else into knives?

I usually keep two arnis sticks under my bed.I think I would

rather fight someone with a knife with these as I have more reach

and if you cant get close enough to me you cant cut me plus I,ll hit

you or your hands(defanging the snake)many more times than a

person can slash with a knife.If I had a knife I might end up killing

someone and I dont think I could live with that,I have knives I just

dont keep them under my bed.

Hehge, I got into some trouble the other day, when my Mum found me using her $200 Zwilling J.A Henckels Four-Star Vier Sterne, ice hardened chefs knife for some cacti gratfs.. :innocent_n::innocent_n::innocent_n:

What are these like in comparison to Global/Wusthof?

Hehge, I got into some trouble the other day, when my Mum found me using her $200 Zwilling J.A Henckels Four-Star Vier Sterne, ice hardened chefs knife for some cacti gratfs.. :innocent_n::innocent_n::innocent_n:

What are these like in comparison to Global/Wusthof?

I am no expert but I think they are meant to be pretty good.

Even though they are better known for making photocopiers these kyocera knives look pretty cool.

http://www.homecouture.com.au/index.cfm?ev...amp;idBrand=374

The blades are ceramic and are meant to stay sharper longer and be very hygenic. They would be great for sneaking through metal detectors too.

What better use for them could there be? :P

Kopromed is a polish hunting knife.

Inexpensive at 60$.

Which after this hype will be alot more expensive.

A old style bayanet handel that some like in the very collectactble Pumas. White hunter puma but better.

I had a puma and it was very hard to sharpen and a gerber serrated 12 inch many year.s ago

Very exspensive to collect into the 150 t0 200 hundred doallrs range and not worth the money as I had both.

I used always wanted a Randall, the cold steel military classic is a close to the design.

But I no longer like design of the fighter.

Its more artistic than better than a two edged 12 inch dagger.

The finger grips of the hilt are cumbersome and the cutout on the blade simply gives better control while reducing the blade lengthefrom 12 to 11 inches.

Some military guys think a good blade is reasurring but if all you got is a knife one is in bad shape behind enemy lines.

Not a Rambo reality.

Better to get a North American mini-revolver.

No ones gone chase you down with a .22 in the knee cap.

And if they come back is going to limping very slowly after painfully getting out of a car.

Yeh I'm more of a stick-fan. My tonfa were stolen, but my arnis are still here. For some reason blades never really did it for me... sticks only more so. I'm all for the pure hand-to-hand defence, but I have found training with them to come in handy.

I had a knife pulled on me one night in the city. He obviously didn't know how to use it, or hold it... with that said I kept talking and talking to him, trying to get his mind off the knife in his hand. I pulled my wallet out of the back pocket and "fumbled" while I was handing it over, and dropped it just before it went to his hand. His eyes dropped, and he bent very slightly to follow it before he remembered he was holding a knife on me.... I won't go into any more details, but I did walk away with my wallet, and a new knife... and a sore knee, but I'm certain the side of his head was worse off :lol:

And if they come back is going to limping very slowly after painfully getting out of a car.

The kinda guy you have to watch out for is the one that keeps coming with a .22 in him lol

The knee's too small a target to get reliably and a .22 will only guarantee you are met with deadly force in return if it doesn't do the job.

I'd aim for the lower pelvis area for a non lethal shot but I on the other hand would have at least a 9mm.

yeah i like knives eh

my dad collects a few

the one i use the most is my spyderco

noz_spyderco_native_first_generation_brk_medium.jpg

when i say use, i mean the knife i use to cut up and eat fruit on the beach. 100% pure gangsta

i would love a kukuri

also been considering purchasing a really really nice cooking knife as well.

what are some tips on keeping blades sharp? what do you guys use?

btw way, you guys heard of hunga mungas?

hungamunga.jpg

its a throwing knife from africa i think.

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

--the knife in question was a gerber magnum if i remember correctly, i'm quite happy w/my gerber mini magnumG6009.jpg

A bar fight type situation is a one guy directing a gang type.

The head chimp agitating the other for conroll.

And a pathetic unifying sacrafice for controll is useful.

guess who?

I don't so on the forum.

Knive and guns don't come into play as usual kicking or a object to the head is the usual.

Some so plastic surgery and if very lucky a concussion.

Didn't happen to me, but I know what happens.

Like a idiot chimps could pick up a object -a rock or anything else and a problem as far as a conccusion way it usaually happens.

Hmm bar fights. Everything I know about them has come from American TV. Cue sticks are an obvious weapon.

One thing I wouldn't have thought of unless I had seen it is the billiard ball twirled up in a bandana and used as an impact weapon. Very lethal if someone is struck on the head. A depressed skull fracture and death is practically guaranteed with the momentum generated.

I've never been a pub person but I've heard of fights being a fairly regular thing and a form of entertainment in itself for the pub goers, who'd have little else to do apart from drink, smoke, bet on the races, and fart ;)

I'd like to get one of those cane swords when Im an old man. Then when young punks attack me for my antique Nike's I can give them a few tattoes to remember...

post-1159-1158896629_thumb.jpg

I'd like to get one of those cane swords when Im an old man. Then when young punks attack me for my antique Nike's I can give them a few tattoes to remember...

...and tell them to "Read these Nike's"

One thing I wouldn't have thought of unless I had seen it is the billiard ball twirled up in a bandana and used as an impact weapon. Very lethal if someone is struck on the head. A depressed skull fracture and death is practically guaranteed with the momentum generated.

one night watched a small bikie being picked by a huge dock worker, the bikie turned his back to the docker and kinda lent on the pool table with both hands and sighed, as the docker grabbed his shoulder the bikie spun around with a cue ball in each hand and slammed simultaneously into both sides of the dockers face,game over. :puke:

another interesting trick is do you remember when you were little tieing money into the corner of a hankerchief,well holding the opposite corner to the coin and whipping the hankerchief can open up a persons cheek,shatter a hand etc. :o

The perfect weapon for when your being mugged cos you can take it out with your wallet then BAM. :uzi:

Not that I condone violence :wub: but knowledge is power and it's better to be safe than sorry when the need arises.

sorry for the hijack but now your on a subject close to my heart.

I've never been a pub person but I've heard of fights being a fairly regular thing and a form of entertainment in itself for the pub goers, who'd have little else to do apart from drink, smoke, bet on the races, and fart ;)

Don't forget about the pokies... aah...they are like a drug in themselves...

Also, a thing I've seen used a bit in pub fights is the glass people are holding... commonly known as 'glassing' :).

One of my friends ended up being arrested on New years because a guy was hitting on her, she declined...he called her a whore and she retaliated with a smirfnoff black to the mouth.

She got charged and he lost 3 teeth.

-bumpy

But it does take some pain and mutilation before a caveman figures out he doesn't want to be caneman.

In a knife fight where my life was at stake what I'd ideally want is a handgun.

Sorry, cant disagree more. In the time it takes to action a firearm your knofe attacker has closed in and cut through virtually every major artery etc you are dead and especially so with filipino knife styles....

Take a look at the studies ... all the rest holds true but a handgun is truly useless.

I got sucked into the more expensive Wusthof line when they were on special at DJs (I think 40% off) and they still cost about $250 for a six piece set. The steel is rubbish and doesn't keep an edge for long. More disturbingly I noticed some flaking of the edge like you get on cheaper knives.

Wouldn't touch them again, and the idea of 6 knives is silly as you only need at most two that you maintain well. A plain and a (broadly)-serrated edge knife both about 11-15 cm.

The Global brand is definitely a winner in this respect. Reasonably priced, great manufacturing and materials and they are commonly seen on Iron Chef on SBS in the knife cases of international 'superstar' chefs.

It's what I'd buy next time to replace this set.

The problem most people have with sharpening knives is their angles are wrong if you got flake from a wusthof trident then you used a too acute angle [too sharp an angle] this would also explain the early dulling. These are the superior of the two knives In cooking you can get by with two but as a chef you will find you will need more than a utility knife to get around some jobs. E ver tried to fillet a fish with a machete. Most knives are purpose built ie Katana, Wusthof chef knives... etc etc

[H. G. Wells] The Time Machine

Morlocks and the Eloys.

Those that can get into the bomb shelters in time will be the Morlocks or the Eloys.

I know my vote. Eloys.

A ball bearing tied in the corner of a silk

handkercheif can be a deadly weapon.