The Corroboree
reshroomED

Eileen Cuttings

Due to overzealous use of a bobcat, I've got two unexpected cuttings available.

The upper metre and a half of one limb was broken into three peices, with the tip taking the brunt of the blow :angry:

So there're two centre-cuts for sale.

1. 50cm @ 4kg+ for $75 + postage

and

2. 80cm @ 7kg+ for $120 (this cutting has one pup about 3"dia 2/3 along it, and the wound from a larger pup being knocked off) + postage

These are freshly broken, uncalloused, and due to the fact that they were broken off, the ends aren't neatly cut.

They are lovely fat cuttings though.

ed

Edited by reshroomED

I am up for the larger cutting for $120 please. Check your PM's.

1. 50cm @ 4kg+ for $75 + postage

I'll take the small one if it's still there

p.med

reshroomED, if you really want to spread the genes then you really should cut them into smaller sections. I took a tall column (10cm in diameter) of my monstrose short spined T. peruvianus and cut it into multiple 15cm sections. I then sold or traded a few and then planted three together in a large container. Because of the flat cuts at right angles to the column I was able to have each section set multiple limbs for propagation and future sales and trade. I wouldn't have any problem in creating 10cm tall clippings, this even if the diameter was slightly larger.

Ok, I admit, I only want the plants spread more there so that it might increase the shipments to the US. I actually have a clipping that is about 20cm tall and about 5cm in diameter and am thinking about cutting it into 5cm sections to propagate. I'm not quite sure why this plant is getting so much attention, but since it is I might as well take advantage of it.

~Michael~

reshroomED, if you really want to spread the genes then you really should cut them into smaller sections. I took a tall column (10cm in diameter) of my monstrose short spined T. peruvianus and cut it into multiple 15cm sections. I then sold or traded a few and then planted three together in a large container. Because of the flat cuts at right angles to the column I was able to have each section set multiple limbs for propagation and future sales and trade. I wouldn't have any problem in creating 10cm tall clippings, this even if the diameter was slightly larger.

Michael, I assumed that's what people did with the cuttings.

It's all a bit tricky.

For one, I've a chronic illness which leaves me exhausted most of the time, so extra packing and multiple conversations to finalise details are low on my priority-list.

And I've never liked selling plants. I believe that they're the planet's gift to us for our 'stewardship' and should be free for all.

So, I was giving cuttings away, until I found that they were mainly being consumed.

Prices were set to deter this, and size to discourage *all* of the cutting being eaten.

Ok, I admit, I only want the plants spread more there so that it might increase the shipments to the US. I actually have a clipping that is about 20cm tall and about 5cm in diameter and am thinking about cutting it into 5cm sections to propagate.

You might be surprised at the amount that is already in America.

I've sent at least 40' over in the last five years, and still read of people I've never heard of before growing a cutting, so I assume it's doing the 'rounds'.

As for how much has been distributed in Oz I couldn't say.

A *lot* more than 40' though.

If you'd really like shipments to the US to improve, I'll be pruning Eileen back to 6' high this year, so will have plenty available. Mind you, it would cost more if I sent in small packages rather than larger.

They'll go on Torsten's new "swap'n'sell" site so feel free to bid.

I'm not quite sure why this plant is getting so much attention, but since it is I might as well take advantage of it.

Disease resistence, climate toleration, rapid growth, etc.

Several threads here on the topic that I'd thought you'd have read.

I was so impressed by this cultivar that I quietly ('cause no-one believes you if you make big claims) introduced it to the community, and it's gained acclaim only through it's own merits since.

ed.

Edited by reshroomED

Disease resistence, climate toleration, rapid growth, etc.

Several threads here on the topic that I'd thought you'd have read.

I was so impressed by this cultivar that I quietly ('cause no-one believes you if you make big claims) introduced it to the community, and it's gained acclaim only through it's own merits since.

ed.

Hi Ed. I'd love to get some of these next time around. What you point out at the end is very true in the old aphorism that cream rises to the top.

How'd it get the name "Eileen" ?

Peace.

ed, was given this cacti as cutting by his mother eileen.

edit: the eileen cuttings i offered here are gone.

Edited by planthelper

Sorry to hijack the thread too :)

Eileen must be the most famous named Aust clone around these parts

but shes not the only extra special one i am aware of

What about that 150g South aussie spined scop getting around

or that

or the 50g bridge! :drool:

i have heard of these, i have some, maybe even all? (matching synonymous clones from diff trades and tracking the p2p dispersal history takes some time and luck)

To my knowledge there are at least 4 well known and traded 'super' clones around , and no doubt more unknown and undiscovered, or just closeted

BTW i mean super like eileen - in the same way shes is an allround desirable cactus

i certainly know im loathe to cut my eileens now. they look so good and i know if i cut too much they wont reach flowering size as fast! and thus i wont be able to make those superhybrids i dream of :)

well, me, eventually

but

my priorities lie in servicing my collection and breeding efforts first and foremost

That is id rather be first to offer seed and seedlings of Eileen x ecuador , Ecuador x juuls giant, or Eileen x SA scop etc

when it comes to trich breeding the generation interval is so long, its like having children!

im sure itll be a lifelong journey as the seed i grow now may not begin to flower for 15 years, but the fruits may bear for 10 000 years+! so what could be more worthwhile purpose for a fleeting human life?

only the extras get sold and there wont be extras for a couple seasons yet.

youd have to search elsewhere till then

what im wondering is, like with eds massive original eileen, whos got the motherload of these others

well actually i know who has some but im not going to dob them in

i think id better start a new thread this evening with some pictures to see if we can cross match clones

anyone and everyone is welcome to pitch in pictures of the most desirable clones