The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Salvi

a few photos to share

I haven't been here for a while so I figured I'd post a couple update pictures of my collection.

First are some 7 month old T. bridgesii..they seem to be a hardy grower from seeds.

post-387-1156546780_thumb.jpg

Archaea, this is that small spine peruvian cutting you sent me in a trade a while back. It's fattening up nicely this season. :lol:

post-387-1156546871_thumb.jpg

Here is an L. Diffusa which is becoming a double crest? Not really sure what's going on with this one.

Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus. One of these formed a large bulb from which many plantlets grew.

post-387-1156547071_thumb.jpg

post-387-1156547150_thumb.jpg

Edited by Salvi

That diffusa is crazy! Very cool. Interesting that the kotch sort of did the same thing on pereskiopsis.

I've had an, er, relative of huizache do something similar. It had sort of stalled out as a seedling, and as soon as I put it on pereskiopsis the stock forced growth from two points on the scion. It didn't continue to pup after that first split.

Thanks for the pics!

I should note that the diffusa is on pereskiopsis, I guess it's not all that obvious. Sometimes it almost seems like seedlings grafted on pereskiopsis are more likely to mutate. Thanks for the input.

sorry man but that i think that diffusa is just splitting into two plants so it will be a double header, i had that happen and it looked exactly the same.

My cristate plants i put under lights havent reverted back to cristate plants (they started growing normally) so i fear that they are gone for good:( which if the case would explain why not many people get cristate plants as alot grow under lights.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. I had another one split into two normal heads, and this one is definitely different and continues to look more and more cristate. I guess we'll find out.

Teo, can't you just chop off the normal growth and let the cristate part grow? Or is there like one growth point on one end of the plant? I guess I'm not really sure how cristate lophs tend to grow.

the cristate is an elongated meristem, apparently if you cut it it will continue to pup cristate pups. That loph did exactly what my two header did so i dont think any cristate genes. Perhaps remove from fluoro light just incase

I am very happy that cactus is doing well, the one I recieved is growing very well this season too. A fast one for sure but on second look and such they are distinct enough not to be closely related, the Huancabamba small spine and the one I got from you that is. Wish I had a camera.

Yes, depending on their environment, they may look similar, but are definitely different in appearance when grown in the same environment. At least that's my take on it. I've found the one I sent you can have a tendency to be rather spiny when grown in sunny/hot conditions, whereas the small spine doesn't seem to have this trait.

Btw the seedlings you sent are doing well also, just not much to show at the moment. Although they are just getting to that stage where they are developing their unique characteristics..I can't wait for these to mature some more. I believe they were SS01 x T. pach? I'd have to check to be sure, but one is starting to look somewhat bridgesoid. :)

More motivation to get some grafting done, I've finally got myself some pere cuttings and some loph seeeds, now just to get it all into gear.