The Corroboree
apothecary

The Lab

Hi guys.

The new lab is now fully functional. I have recieved PMs from many people asking how to get on, so here is everything.

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS INFORMATION, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW.

Guide to connecting to the lab using Xchat for Windows:

Step 1:

Download Xchat:

Step 2:

Open the zip file, and open the install file within.

You can click next all the way until the install finishes, because the default options are fine.

Step 3:

Xchat will launch. You will see a window like this:

Fill in the 'User information' fields.

Nickname: Whatever you want your name to be on the chat.

Second/Third choice: In case the others are already taken (probably not a problem in our case).

Username: Whatever you want

Realname: Whatever you want

Step 4:

In the 'Networks' section, click the 'Add' button on the right hand side.

A new entry will appear in the left hand column. Simply type 'The Lab'.

Note, this name doesn't actually matter so you can leave it as new network or whatever it is, if you like.

Step 5:

Immediately after, click the 'Edit...' button. A window like this will appear:

PLEASE NOTE THE ABOVE ENTRY WHERE IT SAYS www.herbix.org IS NOW dynup.net

You need to change all the options until it looks exactly like the above window, and these settings do matter so don't deviate from the above!

You can edit the 'Servers for The Lab' by simply clicking on the server and replacing the text with what you need.

Once you're done, click close.

Step 6:

You'll be back at the menu you saw in Step 3. Select 'The Lab' from the Networks list, and click Connect.

The result of clicking connect should look like this:

The program will probably stall for a moment or two as it determines your network information. Please do not assume it is broken if this takes a short while, let it go, and it will connect eventually.

Step 7:

You can talk to the people in the room by typing into the white box at the bottom of the screen, on the right of your nickname, and then hitting enter.

PLEASE NOTE: After doing this the first time, you do not need to repeat these steps, from now on when loading Xchat the program will connect and join the room automatically for you.

Notes:

Changing nickname: type '/nick somenewnickname' (without the commas) into the text box.

Joining a different room: '/join #someotherroom'

Privat messages: Double click on someones nickname in the right hand column and it will open a private message window to them.

That's it! I hope it helps!

END OF GUIDE!

Other info about the lab:

The new chat is using 1024bit SSL (AES cipher) to encrypt all communication.

This means that point to point communication is encrypted. No third parties can monitor communications over the network.

As always, the public chatroom available to everyone is #lab.

Now here are the caveats for using the chat.

• Any chatting done in the lab is counted as PUBLIC. That means, anyone who is in the channel can see what you are saying and write it down or log it or whatever. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND.
    Mentioning your most recent illegal escapade in public is not a good idea, and you should treat the public chatroom in the exact same way.
  • Chats conducted in private message windows in the lab ARE completely private between the two parties. So as long as you trust the person you are chatting to, you can assume your communication in this regard is pretty secure.
  • I have also implemented host masking, so nobody can see anyone elses hostname or IP address. The chat server logs absolutely nothing.
  • If you are planning on chatting with the other lab crew, please extend everyone the courtesy of turning logging OFF in your IRC client. (logging is turned off by default in xchat and mirc)

There is a bot in the channel I have named "Shivaya" to enforce various rules and such. I may eventually implement private messaging on this bot so people can store whatever information they like there over an encrypted connection.

Much love.

~apothecary

Edited by apothecary

Oh and is there any chance of this thread being pinned so I don't always have people pm'ing me asking how to get on? :)

Excellent work Apo. thanks for all your efforts. You're the man. :)

:worship::worship::worship:

good one mate

Pity I got myself banned. :BANGHEAD2:

ballzac, we don't like keeping people out of the lab, but the whole incident was simply a bit too...well..you know what I'm talking about :)

It's all about love.

The ban actually expired a while ago, and it isn't present on the new server anyway so that isn't really a problem.

If you can get someone from SAB or EBA to vouch for you, we'd love to have you back :)

As for the thanks, I don't even feel they're nescessary!

I mean, I feel like I should be thanking you guys who come into the lab every day and make me smile and laugh, talk about the funniest shit ever, and hell, where would I be without you all?

The lab crew is just as important to me as this place (i.e VERY).

Life altering.

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

i met ballzac at ega and consider him lab worthy, for sure. besides, i'd like to know wtf u have to do to get banned from the lab... was there an explosion or something? :lol:

I dunno what you have to do but me becoming the lab's self appointed dictator didn't get me banned so it'd have to be sumtin big lol.

...the whole incident was simply a bit too...well..you know what I'm talking about :)

I DO know what you're talking about, and that's why I never pushed the issue. I was more than just embarrassed by the drunken lack of discretion that led to the unfortunate incident, and felt quite deserving of a banning.

The ban actually expired a while ago, and it isn't present on the new server anyway so that isn't really a problem.

I was under the impression that it was a permanent ban, but I'm glad to hear that it's expired.

I also feel I should say that the person who actually banned me (as far as I know, having heard it second hand myself) was quite pissed off about it, and I don't recognise the name from the forum, so I am assuming that it is someone from this forum but with a different name. And it's always made me feel kind of weird that there might be someone out there that doesn't like me and I don't know who it is. :unsure:

The other name is me.

I wasn't pissed off, and I don't dislike you, but I do have a responsibility to keep the room under a pretty strict (probably stricter than here) standard.

If B says you're labworthy, then that's good enough

for me.

Come and join in the fun :)

I should clarify what I mean by standard I guess.

We are pretty laid back at the lab. You can say whatever you want, do whatever you want, short of acting like a prick (which is not something I'm accusing you of :)).

However, this laid back attitude is built on the basis of trust, and that is the strict standard I must enforce.

Pretty simple really. Most of the labbers can tell you how hard I try and keep the trust thing going, and I don't make any apologies, 'cos I'd rather be in over than underkill mode :)

If B says you're labworthy, then that's good enough

for me.

Come and join in the fun :)

Thanks. I probably WILL make an appearance sometime soon then. :)

And thanks for the vote of confidence Bacchant. I really appreciate it. :wub:

I should clarify what I mean by standard I guess.

We are pretty laid back at the lab. You can say whatever you want, do whatever you want, short of acting like a prick (which is not something I'm accusing you of :)).

However, this laid back attitude is built on the basis of trust, and that is the strict standard I must enforce.

Pretty simple really. Most of the labbers can tell you how hard I try and keep the trust thing going, and I don't make any apologies, 'cos I'd rather be in over than underkill mode :)

I totally understand all of that. The last thing I would ever want is for this community, or any part of this community, to be put in any sort of difficult situation.

i keep getting /server ssl not available.

is this a ploy by that scurvy encrusted pirate 'The Baccness' to keep me out??

:P

i keep getting /server ssl not available.

is this a ploy by that scurvy encrusted pirate 'The Baccness' to keep me out??

Hey Man,

You probably need to install OpenSSL. OpenSSL is bundled with the XChat application mentioned in Apoth's first post. If you install XChat that should also give you SSL support in other clients as well.

...is this a ploy by that scurvy encrusted pirate 'The Baccness' to keep me out??

Ahhrrr! the plan was to keep the scum out. i forgot that the cream floats to the top too. All i can suggest is that you tread water (the baccstroke, perhaps) until a qualified computer-savvy life guard comes to the rescue.

Im unable to connect :(

I've tried Xchat on both XP and linux, as well as mIRC on XP.

this is the error recived from Xchat on XP:

* *** Couldn't look up your hostname

* Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 (No more connections allowed in your connection class (the server is full))

* Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).

mIRC gives the same error, and it just hangs in linux(gentoo).

any help??

Oh goddamnit I thought I fixed that problem.

The issue was a parameter in the totally unreadable and undocumented maxclients file, which I set to THIRTY.

Now I am sure there are not thirty people using the lab at a time.

I just got home from a twelve hour shift, so if you give me a few hours I'll get onto it for you:)

Anyone who is still having trouble connecting, let me know please! :)

Try now cc :)

Is this server still going? I would love to go in and have a chat, but the server just times out.

Cheers

If it times out, you do not have SSL installed on your computer.

See the first post, you know, the one I asked everyone to read :D

I have previously read your post, you know, the top one, which you refer to. I have an IRC client which is SSL enabled, although thankyou very much for your kind, helpful post good sir! Have a dandy night :D

Edited by freedom

just bumping this for the active topics...cheers for the effort apothecary

:drool:

Hi guys, as promised, a 'how to' for connecting to the lab has been created, including screenshots from start to finish.

Please see the first post. If you have followed the guide and it still doesn't work, let me know, PLEASE INCLUDE THE ERROR MESSAGE YOU GET.