The Corroboree
shaman

growing subs!

hey all, i was just wondering if it is possible to grow subs by placing them in jars and growing them? i was going to use this method- http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mus02.htm

It says its for cubensis but i was wondering if it would still work for subs? If not could anyone maybe provide a link to a site where it tells you how to grow subs? i googled it without much luck.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Cheers

hey all, i was just wondering if it is possible to grow subs by placing them in jars and growing them? i was going to use this method- http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mus02.htm

It says its for cubensis but i was wondering if it would still work for subs? If not could anyone maybe provide a link to a site where it tells you how to grow subs? i googled it without much luck.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Cheers

use bittorrent and search for "mushroom growing made easy"

its a 760mb movie on propagation.

Hope this helps

kevlar

i think i get it....... in theory would i be able to obtain some wood chips allready covered with mycellium (sp?) and move them to my house...does anyone think this is possible?

Cheers

Are the Melbourne subs different from the south west WA subs? A few years ago I tried to germinated some fresh spores and they took forever to grow a small bit of mycelium then that took forever to colonise some small sections of wood chips and the whole lot died anyway. As far as I am concerned nature does a much better job

Sub growlog

Did u even read this? U responded to it.

So for ur question:

i think i get it....... in theory would i be able to obtain some wood chips allready covered with mycellium (sp?) and move them to my house...does anyone think this is possible?

The anwser is YES! I don't think, I know!

Edited by naja naja

Are the Melbourne subs different from the south west WA subs? A few years ago I tried to germinated some fresh spores and they took forever to grow a small bit of mycelium then that took forever to colonise some small sections of wood chips and the whole lot died anyway. As far as I am concerned nature does a much better job

Its hard to germinate spores onto wood. For the home cultivator, your best bet is to use Sub spores to start your standard brown rice flour cakes, then when this is colonised, crumble and spawn to pasturised woodchips.

It'll take a whole season before you get fruits - when winter roles in you'll get it fruiting. In your garden, keep it watered through the summer and put some cardboard over the top to help keep a little moist.

I think mush mush showed a tek for using popcorn, or wild bird seed in jars as spawn, then colonised outdoor beds of seasoned hardwood mulch.

They just dug pits in the ground and kept them covered with black plastic until autumn.

I think a homemade bog garden would work better. I haven't done it, but I read it in a tek for growing perennial orchids.

Essentially, you dig a shallow pit maybe 10cm deep. Line it with pond plastic.

Build a 30cm high box around the pit, and drill holes in it 1/3 of the way up the sides, all the way around.

Put a soaker hose and wood chips from a tree rich in aromatic oils (tek used cypress) in the bottom of the box. (cypress holds moisture without conducting contaminate growth for orchids, presumably worthwhile for fungal growth as well.)

Fill in the rest of the box with woodchip growing substrate of your choice. Mix in spawn early in the growth season. Run the soaker hose as needed to keep the medium moist. The holes in the sides of box act as overflow, so that there isn't pooled up water, yet the medium stays moist.

Seems like it will work. I'm thinking about combining my love for terrestrial orchids with my interest in Australian fungi next growing season.

:shroomer:

hahaha thats sick... im gonna go to this patch down the river, dig up like maybe 2-3 good shovels worth of mycelium and then just put it at home!... do you need to bury the mycelium containing wood chip? or just spread it ontop of the new wood chip?

does my method sound fair enough to all the mycologists out there?

i cant wait! lol

p.s thanks for all the replys :D

Edited by shaman

I'm not a mycologist...IMO I wouldn't go and dig up a patch for spawn. It would be in more peoples interest to gather a small handfull of colonised chips and using that to innoculate or a better option is to place rhizomorphic stem buts on moist corrugated cardboard and using that to bury in the garden once it's colonised.

It's a real bummer turning up to a patch and seeing it all dug up. The mycelium serves more than one purpose in its environment especially riparian habitats, it doesn't just produce mushrooms for humans and other furry critters. Something to ponder...

Edited by gerbil

I'm not a mycologist...IMO I wouldn't go and dig up a patch for spawn. It would be in more peoples interest to gather a small handfull of colonised chips and using that to innoculate or a better option is to place rhizomorphic stem buts on moist corrugated cardboard and using that to bury in the garden once it's colonised.

It's a real bummer turning up to a patch and seeing it all dug up. The mycelium serves more than one purpose in its environment especially riparian habitats, it doesn't just produce mushrooms for humans and other furry critters. Something to ponder...

hmmm true :( i might just try and grow them inside a jar of brown rice from a spoor print- using the method from my original post.

dude...

get some carboard boxes torn to sheets and some hessian sandbags

soak them

go to the wild patch and crape off the casing litter to expose the mycelium

lay down the hessian

then the card

recover with the litter

a month later go check

the myc shouldve ripped through the hessian and card

take THAT home

replace the litter , and if possible some fresh chips to the wild patch

to us ethe card or hessian you lay out on the soil in teh shade of some shrubs n trees

cover to 10cm with moist fresh chips

cover that with thin layer of straw

and forget it till next year

i know that mushrooms are no instant thing, but would it be possible/quiker to just grow them like cubensis in a jar...accept add some wood into the mixture lol?

Im gonna go plant the cardboard and heshen this w/e :blush:

i read on the shroomery people were extracting ( to fruit juice) cakes of cubes and azures

that to my knowledge is the only way you could employ, where legal, an indoor tek

o/wise growth isndoors is explosive but fruiting rare to never and to teks tried so far requires an extended delay

theoretically treating with a cell free extract of enoki primordia could initiate fruiting

but WTF? :huh:

just spend ur time planting MORE of the MF's outside and leaving them be ;)

no need to make life hard all the time

haha yeah it doenst seem worth it if fruting and all that jazz is rare.

This is my 'final plan'- feel free to correct me or suggest differnt methods! :lol:

Once i have my mycelium i will distribute it fairly evenly over an area half a meter by half a meter, then cover it with a thin (approx 1 or 2 cm) layer of wood chip (not sure which kind really :blink: ), then i will give it a small watering to start it off (if rain isnt forecasted), and continue to do so when we dont recieve much rain....then hopefully next season....BOOM! subs poppin up everwhere in my backyard B) :drool:

The area i plan to do it on is allready wood chip, and i'll be selecting a location under a bushy shrub/tree. Im gonna try and get this happening in 2-3 locations in my yard for *hopefully* great results and a larger yield.

I know my plan might be a bit choppy but any feedback would be great!

Thanks guys ..... :worship: lol

pure luck?..i half buried some chipboard because it wouldn't fit in the bin,letting it decompose for the garden..roughly 15months ago..in autumn i raked up all the mess into a pile for garden mulch... and this is what grew out of the chipboard.. :o

post-1474-1152169867_thumb.jpg

p.s. apologisies for the photo size, i have no way of editing atm.

Say one had a wood chip bin going, when would one case it (pine needles organic mulch), just before autumn/fruiting?

I'd use a few inches of woodchips, top and bottom. Put them into wooden tubs or plastic crates for the first year and then dump in ground for the second year. I imagine it will be fairly cake like after the first growing season. Apart from that, yeah it sounds fine. Either way should give u results. Did u see the single pinecone I bought back ad just placed in the bush with no further attention, even that survived and fruited. Amazingly! In a box, u could take it with u if u should happen to move.

Try a few diff meathods and I'm sure you'll find one that suits u.

NAja

ahh k thanks all.

Yer Naja i saw your pinecone, but i didnt get where u bought it back from or how you knew it was uhh 'spore enriched' lol :blush:?

ahh k thanks all.

Yer Naja i saw your pinecone, but i didnt get where u bought it back from or how you knew it was uhh 'spore enriched' lol :blush:?

Pinecone came from Bailingup, Jayes road forrest. There was a sub or two growing from it, when I found it. So I was pretty sure it was colonized with the target species mycelium. :wink:

haha sounds like it was a nice move... tommorws the big day- for me anyway!