june_06_053.jpg

june_06_058.jpg

june_06_052.jpg

june_06_051.jpg

june_06_050.jpg

Edited by Rev

edit

Edited by Rev

Every time I think I'm starting to get a handle on this id business, something comes along which completely confuses me again. *sigh* .. so many variations based on location/growing conditions etc...

You must be pretty pissed off about those snails, I certainly would be... :ana:

I've read the description of cordobensis and also seen some other cordobensis plants in collections and since then can no longer accept that 'Lance' is cordobensis.

I've read the description of cordobensis and also seen some other cordobensis plants in collections and since then can no longer accept that 'Lance' is cordobensis.

Descriptions of Trichocereus cordobensis? Where?

Lance isn't a T. cordobensis, but then neither is my "T. cordobensis." My "T. cordobensis" appears to be simply the longer spined form of T. scopulicola that had a bad name on it. I have recieved identical plants under the name T. scopulicola FR991. Lance appears to be this same longer spined form of T. scopulicola.

Rev, who did you get your T. cordobensis from? What's its provenance? I'd hate to think that someone simply applied the name to it due to my having brought the name forward in the ethno community many years back along with pictures.

The only plant that I can find even remotely related to the Echinopsis/Trichocereus that has (I mean had) the name "cordobensis" attached to it is Echinopsis leucantha which used to go by the name E. cordobensis at one time.

~Michael~

• Like 1

Descriptions of Trichocereus cordobensis? Where?

Actually, the two descriptions I have are both for Echinopsis cordobensis Spegazzini. One in Anderson (under E.leucantha) and the other in Borg (under E.cordobensis). I also read a description in an old german taxonomy book recently, but can't remember the title. It gave Trichocereus cordobensis as a synonym of E. cordobensis - in fact, I seem to remember that it was actually listed in the Trich section. I did not take notes at the time as I was otherwise distracted (see the photos I've recently posted ;))

Lance isn't a T. cordobensis, but then neither is my "T. cordobensis." My "T. cordobensis" appears to be simply the longer spined form of T. scopulicola that had a bad name on it. I have recieved identical plants under the name T. scopulicola FR991. Lance appears to be this same longer spined form of T. scopulicola.

Yep, I agree. Although, until I have grown all columnar Echinopsis species I won't be quite so assertive.

Rev, who did you get your T. cordobensis from? What's its provenance? I'd hate to think that someone simply applied the name to it due to my having brought the name forward in the ethno community many years back along with pictures.

The plant is probably 'Lance' and the name originated when you told me that that's what you thought it was. It was always sold with a question mark on the name as it did not match up with other pics of cordobensis on the web or the description in Borg, but seems to have stuck anyway.

Not really a problem until someone starts selling E. leucantha ;

ah, now I see that I too must have a quazi cordo too. Ive always wondered why I have a different, what I call in my mind a "dark or black spined cylindrical/rounded pachanoid".

From Revs pics it looks like mine.

I recieved the plant via an old music teacher, her uncle was the owner of a huge cacti seedling/grower back in the 70's-80's. She noted that her uncle said this was one of the most potent strains he had come across... although I have never gotten around to examine. I did propagate a few feet this year to boost stocks... I wonder if its the same clone or same seedlots from wayback. Any ideas on origin anyone?Rev?

edit

Edited by Rev

The only plant that I can find even remotely related to the Echinopsis/Trichocereus that has (I mean had) the name "cordobensis" attached to it is Echinopsis leucantha which used to go by the name E. cordobensis at one time.

~Michael~

You do realise there is a Cordoba province in northern Argentina. (Not far from scop territory). No doubt anything accurately labeled 'cordobensis' has originated from there as a reference to where it was collected.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

dude I was thinking just now that we should collectively make a map of southa america where wild populations occur... it might say something optically... 

• Like 1