The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

urmenetea atacamensis

hi,tranlation... me own from

c.raetsch enzyklopaedie der psychoaktiven pflanzen.

ancient_men_at_tea... haha, lol...

urmenetea atacamensis (compositae)[described aswell as retanilla ephedra(vent.)brogn.] coca del suri

this up to 10 cm (4 inches) tall growing plant with violet flowers only exists in the

north chilean atacma dessert- the dryest

dessert in the world- and is called coquilla,

"small coca", or coca del suri by the local

oasis dwellers.the white-like fury leaves where chewed till recently on its own or with llipta (lime)as coca substitute.

this unspectacular plant, is foodsorce of the ostrich like running bird suri.

a tea brewed from its leaves is used as remedy against altitude sickness (puna)(ref

aldunate 1981)

chewing leaves produces a numb sensation in the mouth.as well a mild (coca like stimu=

lation) could be observed. clearly psychoactive allthough narcotic, than acting

as a stimulant are dryed leaves if smoked.

(0.3 g is a good dosage)the effects are similar to those of smoking coca leaves.

(erythroxylum coca)

there are no reports of chemical investigations.

i want one!

Edited by planthelper

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by bloodbob:

if has cocaine in it then it is illegal in australia.

What they don't know can't hurt them. This plant seems to be pretty obscure, a google search (not that google is the be all and end all of world knowledge) revealed one link which contained a small reference of Urmenetea atacamensis as a substitute for the coca plant in ceremonies.

www.condesan.org/unesco/Cap%2017%20CASTRO%20Ayquina%20y%20Toconce.pdf

You'll need Acrobat reader and a altavista.babelfish to read it unless u speak spanish..

Isn't it true that there are only a handful of plant species that are outright illegal in Australia...(including Erythroxylum coca ) the rest of the plants that contain "interesting" alkaloids are in a bit of a grey area... where it is understood that growing them may be ok.. but preparing them for consumption is not.

Anyone know anything about this plant??

[This message has been edited by Mesqualero (edited 14 July 2002).]

Also called Onoseris atacamensis (Phil.) Hoffmann, a genus of about 30 species, there is only one species of Urmenetea, U. atacamensis Phil. Onoseris humboldtiana Ferreyraand Onoseris odorata (D.Don) Hook. & Arn. are also found in the same region.

i ad the local name for this plant which your link revieled, unfortunately my spanish is poor.

kotar or kotaro in the atacama region and,

coquilla in the region of loa superior.

The translation out of the book from the link:

Our ethnobotanical research enables us us, to extend the spectrum of chewed plants and coca- substitutes in the North of Chile. Thereby for example a plant of the desert in Region 2, Urmenetea atacamensis, which is known in the region of Salar de Atacama under the name Kokakora (Coca herb) and different other variants on the Kunza- languages: Kótar, Kótaro, Kotáro and Kotára.

Beside the Rio Grande this Ilama-plant is named Kokakoka, Koka del desierto, Tokora or Kotaro and in the Loa Superior (region) Coquilla or Coca del suri.

on german:

Unsere ethnobotanischen Forschungen haben uns erlaubt, das Spektrum der gekauten Pflanzen sowie der Coca- Substitute im Norden von Chile zu erweitern. Dabei zum Beispiel eine Pflanze der Wüste der Region 2, Urmenetea atacamensis, die in der Region von Salar de Atacama unter dem Namen Kokakora (Coca-Kraut) und verschiedenen Varianten in den Kunza- Sprachen bekannt ist: Kótar, Kótaro, Kotáro and Kotára. Am Rio Grande wird diese Lama-Pflanze Kokakoka, Koka del desierto, Tokora or Kotaro und im Loa Superior (Region) Coquilla oder Coca del Suri.

Edited by mindperformer

Appears to be a very interesting plant. No wonder you want one. While being a coca substitute it is unlikely to actually contain cocaine and can be therefore assumed to be legal.

Definately a plant of phytochemical interest.

Definitely, I also think that it doesn't contain cocaine but has a similar action

In the related Onoseris alata were found five new trans-clerodanes, loliolide and a thiopheneacetylene.

Another species of the Onoseris- genus gave 5-methylcoumarins...

In Onoseris albicans the new sesquiterpenlactone Onoseriolide and Shizukanolides were found.

Onoseris gnaphaliolides contains the 5-methyl coumarin Onognaphalin.

The trans-clerodanes are a promising group because, as we know, Salvinorin A is also a clerodane diterpene...

Edited by mindperformer

Possibly is in the genus Erythroxylum one tropane compound included. Or what?

Exciting story.

Edited by pan

to Erythroxylum:

they have found a 10-fold higher cocaine content in the wild species Erythroxylum laetevirens (but as content-indications I only found 0,011% from dry material):

http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000407445

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16199132

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10660992

Perhaps I get seeds of this plant soon. I keep you informated... :rolleyes: