The Corroboree

So, i see reference to a practice of burning a dry phylode as a field-test for tryptamines... Can people fill me in on this technique? What smell am I looking for? Also, I've noticed some obtusifolias have red/purple colouring around the younger stems/phylodes, while others are more brown/green (you know, normal tree colours...) Does this mean anything?

Thanks in advance.

the reddish ends of the phyllodes mean nothing, according to my humble opinon...

there are heaps of accacias showing this symptoms and they contain no goodies whats o ever.

burn test does work if you are familliar with the dmt smell.

if you cut those trees with a saw, the friction of the blade makes them aswell disperse this scent.

aswell if you mist chacruna leaves with a hose after dry hot days, one can smell the dmt.

once you know this smell you will never forget it.

sometimes on walks i can suddenly smell dmt, and i know it's not a smell hallucination as it's there the next time i walk... however it's not there all the time, so again this smell seems to leak out of plants under some given conditions.

the reddish ends of the phyllodes mean nothing, according to my humble opinon...

there are heaps of accacias showing this symptoms and they contain no goodies whats o ever.

Figured that, good to know though

burn test does work if you are familliar with the dmt smell.

lol, unfortunately, the universe told me I wasn't gonna get to try DMT until I...... yeah, beside the point. Anyway, could you describe the smell? I'm farmilar with the taste/smell of Subs, pure aMT, pure 5-MeO-DiPT, 5-meo-amt and bufo resin (dried cane-toad poison)... is it anything like any of these related substances? The one time I saw someone smoke DMT, it didn't stink out the room like aMT does... (imagine crystal dogshit, in a pipe. Yup, thats aMTs smell... worth it though!)

Edited by themagicmushroom

most packets of non-sulphur containing amino acids will develop the same smell after sitting at room temp for several months unopened. GABA and tryptophan definitely do it. others I am not sure.

Pack a cone with shredded plastic bag.. You'll get the idea :lol:

Just kiddin' it's not that bad, but very plastic-y.

I perform the burn test on the tip of a fresh phyllode. I find the smell is most pungent when I heat up the tips of baby phyllodes and inhale. The smell is of burnt plastic but unlike burnt plastic it smell really nice.

Every single obtusifolia I have tested has been positive. I am yet to find a maidenii or other acacia that tests positive.

You would probably get somewhere if you're positive of the tree ID and dont mind smoking a bit of the sample.

This is what I did with a single dry crushed leaf from my phebophylla,boy was I in for a suprise. :)

Initially I tried the burn test on this plant,which resulted in a faint odor,but smoking it far outweighs the burn test in terms of determining activity,for this particular plant anyhow.

Hehe exactly, Phlebophylla are special :wink:

Assuming one had acess to an obtusifolia with a 'plasticy' smell... could one use naturally dropped phyllodes to perform the ritual? One used naturally fallen phlebophylia phyllodes once, recieved nothing for his efforts, yet doesn't want to harvest bark, due to the location of the trees... Would fresh obtusifolia phyllodes require too much defatting?

thanks.

m.

From what I've read.. Obtusifolia doesn't have enough alkaloid in the phylodes to bother doing an extraction..

But someone with practical experience may disagree with this.

obtusifolia phyllodes can be extracted very sucessfully, but yields are much lower compared to bark. the product proly represents aswell a different structure and combo compared to bark material, but anyhow 100% worth the effort!

My friend wonders about the burn test with Obtusifolia.

Apparently he has encountered an Obtusifolia that failed the burn test (miserably), but once extracted gave better than expected results. :wacko:

The burn test with obtusifolia can be tricky.

Sometimes I burn a few phyllodes and the smell doesn't hit me for a few minutes after which it can be really overpowering. I think its my nose not the material.

I don't think it smells plasticy for some reason... it smells how it smells, and nothing to me can smell similar. It just smells spicey, but you won't forget it once a big toke has been inside your sinuses. :bong::wink:

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

I agree with you there indigo, " it smells how it smells" although the smell reminds me and a few others i know of old people for some strange reason, another mate thinks it smells like an old shearing shed :huh: .

Yeah I find it has a bit of that "Old man" smell, I think its because it has a similarity to moth-balls which a lot of old people have in thier rooms.

I belive the chemical your smelling is called Skatol?

Recently, I swear, I became that smell, every part of my being was THAT SMELL, there was no division between where I started and the smell finished, were were one, there was nothing else in my reality but the esscense of that smell, the singularity of the smell....

I was oh so glad when it was over... LOL..

An Old man goes to the doctor for a checkup

he's hard of hearing so he takes his wife

The doctor explins he will need to take a blood sample, stool sample and a urine sample to assay his state of health

the old chap turns to his wife and asks here to repeat it for him

she answers

'he needs your underpants' :bootyshake:

:puke: Cut it out you guys, you are starting to put me off DMT.

dont worry DOM, if the DMT has been cleaned up enough it should next to no smell or taste and no colour at all............. that smell comes back once its vapourised, nowhere near as extreme as dirty spice but.

youve smelt moth balls andy?

how the bloody hell did you get your nose between there tiny little legs?

Edited by anachronism

youve smelt moth balls andy?

how the bloody hell did you get your nose between there tiny little legs?

LOMAO...love it.

A little old lady goes into a hardware store and askes for a large packet of moth balls...

The next day she comes back in and buys another packet, and the next, and the next, and every day for the rest of the week.

Eventually the shopkeepers curiosity is piqued, and he decides that the next time she comes in he'll ask her what all the mothballs are for

'One large packet of mothballs please'

'Excuse me madam, pardon me asking, but you seem to be buying an awful lot of these..'

'Yes', replied the old lady, 'You see I've been throwing them at the moths and haven't hit one yet'.

Anyhoo, I heard that the smell of DMT is not unlike artificial grape flavour ala hubba bubba...which is basically sweet skatole flavour.

dont worry DOM, if the DMT has been cleaned up enough it should next to no smell or taste and no colour at all............. that smell comes back once its vapourised, nowhere near as extreme as dirty spice but.

:lol: Its cool I love the smell of DMT. I actually prefer dirty spice. I was referring to the comments comparing the smell to an old man.

I was just looking through my guide to wildflowers of south western australia and there r about 30-40 acacia species growing around, atleast 4 or 5 species on my property.

So I was wondering......Should I burn test all of them? I don't know wat dmt smells like(anything like 4 phyloxy-dmt??old socks) and will I know the smell, when/if I smell it?

I cant b bothered listing all, but I'll list a few. If u know of a particular species I should burn test, that occurs in the S.W. of W.A. then please let me know.

acuaria

acuminata

alata

aphylla

applanata

barbinervis

baxteri

biflora

blekelyi

botrydion

browniana,var.intermedia

caerula

celastrifolia

i'll finnish the list eventually....................etc,etc

cheers

Naja

Why not. You should recognise it pretty easily. Its very distinct.

You've got nothing to lose.