The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Cactus variegation caused by?

I know variegation us caused by lack of chlorophyll in the plants. Some are of pathological in origin where as some are chimerial and spring up one normal plants. So which type is it that cacti have? I can tell you that its genetic as i had lots of plants from one lot of seed show it, i can also tell you it doesnt have to be continous along the side of the cactus it appears as though it can start and stop. Chimerial variegation is usually only preserved by taking cuttings and not via seed so im thinking it may be pathalogical. If its pathalogical then in theory i could make more variegated plants by grafting onto variegated stock as the pathogen would be able to move into the scion, somthing not possible in grafting of normal plants.

interesting. I would like to know how fast your variegated cacti grow compared the rest. For me it is about 1/2 speed. I have always thought they were quite special so am hesitant to cut them, however if this theory holds true, then maybe I will have to do some more grafting :)

yeah heaps slower, the more varigation the slower they are, and if one side if variegated and the other not the green side grows more then the white.

is this what you are talking about Teo?

post-1464-1150189873_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1150190055_thumb.jpg

I thought it was sick at first, but it is a different yellow colour to the other sick ones i have seen.

None of the offsets have the yellowing though.

Img_0158.jpg

Img_0157.jpg

Img_0158.jpg

Img_0157.jpg

Yeah, it was like that when i got it. I bought about 40 or so clumps of this type of cacti, each clump had anywhere between 5 and 20 offsets and this was the only one that looked like that.

I havent had them very long but as soon as they flower the pics will be in the gallery :)