The Corroboree
dango

Acacia Confusa

Aloha Shamans of Oz

my first post here, i am dango and i live in the hawaiian islands. in my quest for info a friend referred me to your forum. he said you all are familiar with acacia confusa and like species.

i am curious as to what part of the plant contains alkaloids? (leaves, bark, root bark)

if bark or root bark, can it be collected without harming the lifeforce of the plant?

i read somewhere that the leaves contain cyanide or like a cyanide precurser, is this so?

any experienced feedback is appreciated.

peace,

dango

Welcome to Oz, Dango!

Numbers of Acacias are reported to contain alkaloids and many people on this forum have undertaken research into this. One of the species that people are most excited about is Acacia obtusifolia. Many of the extractions that people experiment with using Acacia's involve bark from the trunk not the roots, and some use the phyllodes too. There appears to be great variation related to specific populations in specific geographies, and at certain times of the year.

In terms of your mention in the post of damaging the plant, then clearly you are. However there are different levels of that damage. The potential to ring bark a tree is real, and there are fears held by members of this forum for some populations of rare, high-yield Acacia's in the wild. The larger question of the spirit of the plant is one that you will also find discussed here.

There is a lot about the Acacia's archived on this forum, so, as they often say (somewhat condescendingly) to newbies, "have a go first at searching with the search function", with "Acacia" as your key word and search all forums, so knock yourself out! The host organisation of this Forum, SAB, sells seed for many Acacia's online, though I am not sure what local import/export/quarantine restrictions apply. Australia is very rich in wattles and they are beautiful and very valuable in a whole range of ways.

Happy Hunting (for information)

Rex

Isnt A. confusa a weed/pest in Hawaii?

aloha and thanks,

i did actually use the search funtion 1st. i quested for acacia confusa and not just acacia. i was only given 2 results. i will try again just checking acaia.

no it is not a pest in hawaii, it was brought here from the phillipines.

thanks again

Acacia confusa DMT & NMT in leaf, stem & bark PIHKAL

Acacia simplex/ simpliciflia is more what u want i think

itd do just fine in the hawaiian islands

A confusa is more beta carbs

hae you tested acacia koa?

that looks promising to me

try the stem bark...

you may even get it for free from ex-forestry operations

LOL

i would like seed

PM me if you get hold of it

Isnt A. confusa a weed/pest in Hawaii?

Just for the record, yes. What I assumed was A. Confusa (ball flowers, straight phyllodes, end-to-end seed-pod arrangement) seemed to be the first shrub colonising any clearing in Kailua-Kona. The A. Koa seems to prefer a higher altitude, like 1000 ft+. There were some big stands of it by the road near the Manuka state park, on the southern tip of the big island. Alternatively, and closer to the main tourist drag, get thee to the ethnobotanic gardens at Captain Cook: http://www.bishopmuseum.org/exhibits/green.../greenwell.html.

Burn tests of various parts of both species weren't particularly exciting (in December), but then again I don't have a lot of experience in this area.

Seems there's a high degree of confusion in this thread. May be it's living up to it's name. :lol: