The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PD.

Can I get an I.D. please

I was lucky enough to be the first person to arrive at the sale of a cactus collection.

For $100 i got hundreds of specimens although not a great deal of variety.

this is what i got,

1 T.pach 8 foot tall with three arms, but i had to cut it to 5 to get it in the trailer

post-1464-1148517764_thumb.jpg

The two cousins,

post-1464-1148517913_thumb.jpg

One 2 foot C. peruvianus monstrose and a 9 footer still there in the ground waiting for me

post-1464-1148518077_thumb.jpg

This one is a mystery to me, it looks like a monstrose form but some of it has gone cristrate

post-1464-1148518287_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1148518386_thumb.jpg

I also need an I.D. on this one beacause i now have hundereds of them.

post-1464-1148517329_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1148517432_thumb.jpg

I also got heaps and heaps of lobivia sp. I think the small one i asked an I.D. for may also be a lobivia but i am relatively new to the cacti world so i dont have much of an idea.

Also got five golden barrels, heaps of peanut cactus and there is still more waiting there for me.

Why so cheap you ask? Well a couple moved into the house and decided they would prefer a vegie patch rather than cacti everywhere. "Any that arent sold are going into the skip" was the reply i got when i asked what the plans were for the unsold ones. "in that case, I will take all the unsold ones" was my speedy reply.

There is still hundereds there and i need more pots, sand and potting mix. I think i may go crazy.

The succulents are all free aswell, I do not have a great deal of interest in them but if they need to be rescued, i will oblige and give them away to anyone that wants them.

Oh yeah..... Any suggestions for removing a 9x5foot C peruvianus Monstrose?

Sorry about the picture quality once again, my daughter Ellie decided the camera needed a bath so all i have now is the video camera

post-1464-1148519744_thumb.jpg

Imga0010.jpg

Imga0011.jpg

Imga0004.jpg

Imga0008.jpg

Imga0006.jpg

Imga0007.jpg

Imga0014.jpg

Imga0010.jpg

Imga0010.jpg

Imga0011.jpg

Imga0004.jpg

Imga0008.jpg

Imga0006.jpg

Imga0007.jpg

Imga0014.jpg

Imga0010.jpg

Edited by phleb

Hi phleb, Congratulations! I´m pretty sure this is an echinopsis hybrid. Maybe you have some different flowering types.

Thanks for that EG,

I would really like to know the name of the one in the fourth and fifth picture too if anyone can help.

I only have one reference book here and it isnt a great help.

If anyone out there can identify it correctly for me i will send you two pups from it. ^_^

Hi phleb, i think that´s an Tephrocactus. But i´m not 100 % sure about that.

pot em up - itll be worth it

dress up with nice river sand gravel mulch

and by nov next year you can do a nice market stall with all the extras - esp in flower

or once looking prime approach nurseries- most i talk to cant get hold of good cacti and succulents

bloody good score

just a guess from what i see and what u describe but that must be well over $500 in cactus u got, maybe even $1000

to a propagator the potential value could be much more - depends whats there and if it can be identified to species or cultivar

i collect lobivia and echinopsis flowering hybrids. im keen to trade for some later if it interets you. bare root is fine

its nice they want a veggie garden but i cant help think they may have bought a deceased estate or at least someones lifetime collection and to think itd end up in the skip

some people have no idea of the worth of plants - in $ or conservation

to me its like throwing a stradivarius on the bonfire

Edited by Rev

good one :)

the mystery one could be a Tephrocactus like EG said, i picked up a cutting exactly the same up here, all the spines/glochids caught in my fingers, it's a bastard :P but a good cactus sentry for your garden.

Thanks for that guys.

I am going out to get some more today and this time i will have a camera so i can show the rest of the collection.

I will keep you in mind rev, i think i should keep them for awhile just to see how they fare after the move and to keep an eye on any pests.

pics later. :)

The mystery pics 4 & 5 are identical to a specimen that I have that was sold to me as Opuntia Cristate. I've looked and looked for a +ve ID on line and the closest I can come up with is a Cylindro-opuntia sp.

Yep, Darcy those spines have hooks on them and seemingly tiny barbs aswell. I will have a look at your proposed ID.

The pads seem to grow as normal (a bit more cylindical than std opuntia) but get to the end of its growth and the tip starts to distort and turn cristate?????? Weird.

I got back out there today to get another load. It looks like there is still enough there to keep me busy for a day or two........ or should that be a year or two

post-1464-1148629027_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1148630132_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1148630377_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1148630663_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1148629419_thumb.jpg

There are little ones all in the grass through this garden. All this is only 8 months neglect.

Img_0409.jpg

Img_0411.jpg

Img_0413.jpg

Img_0406.jpg

Img_0414.jpg

Img_0409.jpg

Img_0411.jpg

Img_0413.jpg

Img_0406.jpg

Img_0414.jpg

Hi phleb, you have Lots of Echinopsis hybrids there. the one on the 3rd pic is a cereus. nice! Really an Nice place to stay. Please make some pics when they flower. Maybe we can ID them. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

well done phleb!

what a way boost your collection :)

wow...