The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PD.

Albino...

I found these mushies today on a trip to Mt. Buffalo. At first i thought that they must have been old or washed out and lost all their colour, but they were fresh, and the larger one didnt even have any insect damage yet. I put some subs of the regular shade in the pics for comparison, these are from the same vicinity as the "albinos"

I have never seen subs as white as this before, i have seen very light shades in their colouring but not white.

Has anyone seen or have photos of any other white subs?

sorry about the pic quality, i only had the video camera tonight.

post-1464-1147869058_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1147869188_thumb.jpg

Imga0027.jpg

Imga0030.jpg

Imga0027.jpg

Imga0030.jpg

If they were true albino's the spores would also lack pigment, and in which case, would prob be dismissed immediately if the blueing reaction didn't give it away.

The proper term for sumthing thats white with black or blue eyes is leusistic. I think this term would be applicable for white varieties of fungi.

But either way, nice find. :blink: :D

Naja

Hence the inverted commas naja. :P

Wow,

nice find my friend! They definately look like subs to me but i have quite untrained eyes when it comes to the finer details.. im wild trained ;)

I have been incredibly interested in the possibility of subs frowing on mount buffallo, and even more so off the possibility they could fruit off decaying phleb phyllodes/plant matter (even just to see them growing NEAR phleb would be exciting enough for me)...

From what i understand these were found in low lying areas rathert then on the slopes, but there are also phleb specimens growing along the water line at the very base of the mountain, so who knows!

I was wondering whether the white flesh may be a result of the incredible drops in temperature experiencedat mt buffallo over night? although i have witessed subs growing on icy ground before.

Perhaps it is the fluctuation in temperature that occurrs near the mountain? damn cold during the day and farkn freezing during the night...

We missed out on subs season by 4.5 weeks, leaving the mountain just as the REAL cold set in (sleeping inside a big metal box wasnt too comfortable)... But ive always been keen to get some time in hiking off the tracks looking for subs... ext year maybe!

Yeah nice find indeed.

Do they smell the same as normal Subs? I find smell is the bect way to distinguish Subs from look-a-likes.

If they were near the Phleb's, I'd not be surprised if the Psilocin content was quite high :D

Do they smell the same as normal Subs? I find smell is the bect way to distinguish Subs from look-a-likes.

Everything about them is the same except the colouring of the cap.

I have seen alot of variations of psilocybes all over Victoria, but usually that is variations in the cap and stem shape or size. I have found the colours to also vary, but only in the brown, caramel or straw colours and anything in between but not white.

if u havent already, be sure to take some prints :)

if u havent already, be sure to take some prints :)

Haha, yeah thats already under way E. Cant say they will be the most sterile prints but there will be prints none the less.

I only took the mushrooms that are in the photo and they were fairly small, but there should be more popping up it the same spot(i hope) to get some better prints.

so did it look more like hydrophanous pigmentation or proper albino-type phenotype? Pretty strange either way.

Incidently Ps.semilanceata grows on Mount Buffalo...

Wow.. Didn't think we got them here at all :huh:

Thanks, I must investigate these claims sometime in my lifetime..

I plan on doing the same in a week or so.

I plan on doing the same in a week or so.
Photos please :D

so did it look more like hydrophanous pigmentation or proper albino-type phenotype? Pretty strange either way.

Nah it wasnt hydrophanous pigmentation, the only real change after collection was the typical blueing of a psilocybe. They were slightly viscid upon picking and have dried to the same colour.