The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
macro

T.Bridgesii var. Monstrose pupping

My TBMs all pupped a month or two ago, much to my delight. However, some of what were bulbous and firm specimens are now much softer and slightly withered. Its hard to explain, but I've got some plants which when pup, put out a firm fat pup, and the parent branch doesn't mind at all. These are in bigger pots.

The ones in question are in smaller pots, but the plants themselves are respectively smaller. The pups are notably thinner and longer than the parents which were short fat stumpy knobs (pardon the pun).

Anyone seen this before? Any insights or suggestions to fatten them back up?

I am new to cacti but I think that is pretty normal. All of mine threw many longer thinner pups upon repotting a single rooted cutting. As the root system develops though the pups seem to come more one or two at a time (not 4-5 like mine) and are more 'normal'.

Also, all of the mothers that throw pups do tend to shrivel .....just like any other parent, nuturing their offspring almost to the detriment of themselves. You could give them more water but mine are starting to plump up naturally without altering water regime....it is winter, all of my cacti are doing this!

Good luck!

fertilise them. if there is not enough nutrient available for the growing pup then the mum will give up some of here stored nutrient to feed her starving pup. actively growing tissues need lots of food.

if you can get the little pups that are small and withered in a bigger pot. you said the cacti in question are in smaller pots and they are not getting fat and cute, but skinny and anorexic looking right? well i have notced this in sanpedros that grow in a smaller pot. its like gold fish their growth adapts to the size of the pond they are in. if you put them in a bigger pot they should round out. i have a freind with a sanpedro in a tiny pot thast might as well be a bonzai tree!

Ive had this happen to some of my TBMs before, I found the only thing that would plump up the main segments again (along wiht regular watering and feeding) was a few good, long doses of rain, preferably at night time.

The rain soaks thorugh the skin and gives it mositure directly howver spraying doesnt seem to achieve the same results as mother nature for some reason.

Ive had this happen to some of my TBMs before, I found the only thing that would plump up the main segments again (along wiht regular watering and feeding) was a few good, long doses of rain, preferably at night time.

The rain soaks thorugh the skin and gives it mositure directly howver spraying doesnt seem to achieve the same results as mother nature for some reason.

it could just be the cold night air opening the pores in the cacti skin if they have pores that is but still it would stand to reason perhaps to keep them out doors and spray them at night. cacti can get sun burns so its not good to spray them in the day or in dirrect hot sunlight any way.

seriously i am blissed out to be talking about TB here thank the gods!

yes cacti seem to revert back into there childhood if not pampered for.

i saw this with a pedro which i bought at mercado modello and grew in central europe.

after initially growing still fat and displaying adulthood spikes, the pachanoi later grew (under the care of my fragile mother, who never ferted or repotted) only pencil thin and showed baby pedro spike formation.

etiolation may play a role aswell if this happens.

Thanks guys. I'll try a few things and report back down the track!

Im with andy, its just a water thing and it always happenswhen the cacti pup. Kinda like adding an extra bathroom to your house and the loss of water pressure when its being used. Cacti only open their stoma at night, unless they are getting lots of water then they can do regular C3 photosynthesis. Pups will start of small then grow bigger over time, just like you have done, can you imagine the nutrient load and damage if the cactus pupped a full sized 10cm pup? would split it bad.