The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tryptamine

Baybean (Canavalia Maritima, Canavalia rosea)

Heres the info I have found on this throughout the internet. Be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried some. An extract may be the way to go with this one.

Bay Bean (Canavalia Maritima, Canavalia rosea) (Fabaceae family Legume family)

Common Names: Beach-bean, jackbean , jackbean, maunaloa, puakauhi, wonderbean, friol de playa, Mackenzie bean. Kijimanu.

Description: Very fast growing sturdy vine from Gulf of Mexico.

Coastal vine or trailing herb with light green semi-succulent leaves and striking pink flowers. The pods are green and around 12cm long.

Use(s): An infusion was made with the crushed roots and rubbed over the skin for rheumatism, general pain, skin disorders, and colds. It is claimed that leaves and seed pods are smoked like hemp. The beans produced by the bay bean are edible if the outer skin is removed from them and they are softened by boiling.

Habitat and conditions: Occurs all over the world in tropical and subtropical coastal locations. In it occurs from northern NSW up through Queensland and also in coastal Western Australia. In Queensland it is also sometimes found inland. It prefers warmth and can tolerate periods of drought. Full sun. The baybean is an excellent pioneering species on sandy beaches, dunes, and coastal scrub. It readily sets down roots at the nodes as it trails across beaches and dunes, the roots forming networks that aid in stabilizing sands. Culture: full sun, light shade, moist soil.

Plant in frost free spots.

Canavalia rosea

Threat Classification - 7 Range Restricted

Qualifier - Secure overseas, One location Chen, W.-M., T.-M. Lee, et al. (2000). "Characterization of halotolerant rhizobia isolated from root nodules of Canavalia rosea from seaside areas." FEMS Microbiology Ecology 34(1): 9-16.

Propagation: seeds.

CANAVALIA MARITIMA - Leguminosae (Frijol de Playa)

RITUAL EMPLOYMENT:Canavalia Maritima is another very interesting plant on which more research has to been done. Canavalia is smoked on the Gulf Coast of Mexico as Marijuana substitute. Hemp is one of the best drugs known to man a (legal) plant with similar properties would be very useful. There is also no record of its use in primitive societies as a sacred hallucinogen, although seeds have been found in graves in Oaxaca and Yucatan Mexico and in Peru, in sites dating from 300 B.C. to A.D. 900.

The plant is smoked.

ACTIVE PRINCIPLES: L-Betonicine has been isolated from C.maritima, unfortunately there is no evidence that this compound is hallucinogen.

EFFECTS: The effects are reported to be similar to those of Marijuana.

DANGERS: I think personal experimentation with this plant would prove as very useful, there should be no danger.

Sea bean ( Canavalia maritima) South America, Africa- psychodelic, beans have aphrodisiac qualities, ingested or smoked in place of marijuana together with dried leaves. In antient America beans was used in magic and rituals, found in the prehistoric graves. The active substance is L-betonicine.

CANAVALIA MARITIMA

A legume that is supposedly used as a marijuana substitute.

Effects: Similar to marijuana; its psychoactive properties have not yet been isolated. The mature seeds of Canavalia ensiformis, or the jack bean, are roasted and used as a coffee substitute in the West Indies.

As I recall its saponin/cyanide type,

If it was good it would been known about hundred of years ago.

As I recall its saponin/cyanide type,

If it was good it would been known about hundred of years ago.

It was known about hundreds of years ago . . .

Smoked on the Gulf Coast of Mexico as Marijuana substitute. Seeds have been found in royal grave sites in the Yucatan and Peru dating from 300 B.C. to A.D. 900.

simply amazing get some and smoke some ameadietly!

Bump :wink:

Just found a stack of this growing near me. I've heard the effects are mild when smoked - has anyone tried either tea or orally ingesting extract?

Also, how green can the pods be and still produce viable seed (when picked)? If I can catch the pods at the right time I might have a fair few of these to trade in spring.

For a bit more detail on the constituents and some possible non-psychoactive applications:

http://pharmascope.org/ijrps/downloads/Volume%201/Issue%204/47134.pdf