The Corroboree
James

Thoughts on evolution of man

Very good point, although i am not surprised at the rate at which the cichlids evolved. Fish generally produce a far larger amount of offspring therefore creating a larger range of diversity within each spawn. Have you ever had the oppurtunity to breed these fish? They are (mostly) highly territorial and protective of their young, thus a larger amount (compared to other non agressive species) survive to further diversify the species.

They are awesome to watch right through the breeding cycle, if you are into fish or aquariums i strongly suggest getting a few juveniles and see if any pair off, it is well worth it.

I used to breed Neolamprologus multifasciatus ;)

They definitely do show a high degree of adaptive plasticity, demonstrated by their adaptatation to the aquarium environment. It would be interesting to do some molecular studies of wild fish and fish that have been in aquariums for several generations and see the differences. However I don't think this is purely due to having high numbers of offspring. There must be a genetic element as well. Lots of organisms have high numbers of offspring but you don't see them radiating into hundreds of species in a few thousand years - although the chance probably doesn't arise very often.

Lots of organisms have high numbers of offspring but you don't see them radiating into hundreds of species in a few thousand years - although the chance probably doesn't arise very often.

Obviously the chance was there for the cichlids.

Most animals that have a lage number of offspring, in turn, have a large number of predators. Most of the predators these animals have take the oppourtunity to feast on the young as the hatch or born.

If the cichlids were the first fish in the rift lakes then perhaps the predators were in too small a number to make any difference.

Then again the predator for one cichlid is probably another cichlid, hmmmmmm.

Maybe it is because they are just such an intelligent fish!

sorry to go so far off topic :blush:

What would keep me from mating with a african pigmy is the language difference.
not true

just use imagination to think about you in a foreign country with a local girl

is language REALLY necessary for sex?

it certainly wasnt for the sailors of the 18th century that visited tahiti ;)

the biggest impediment in the past was probably her pygmy brothers, uncles and father putting a projectile through your sternum...

its quite a moderating influence on the human females sexual molecular drive in her search for novel fitness genes.

Lots of organisms have high numbers of offspring but you don't see them radiating into hundreds of species in a few thousand years - although the chance probably doesn't arise very often.

theres mor to it than the simple cut and shuufle of random mutation and natural selection

other rules are at play. we are still learning what they are

but we know they are much more at work on tropical islands ie galapagos archipelago or hawaiian islands

than on the continents.

neverthelless its foolish to say we wont know soon enough, and in doing so understand a whole new and deeper level of the biological world

Edited by Rev

Rev: A very valid point.

----------------------------------------------------

But a few hunting or selfdefense weapons and social interaction would sooth the tribal male feelings of disrespect.

http://www.american.edu/ted/ice/pygmy.htm

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&ct=title&ie=UTF-8&q

=congo+african+conflict+politics&btnG=Search+News

------------------------------------------------------------

As a another point.

I think as some clever person at a party said : gin(alcohol] is the best aphrodesiac.

Might be the one of the greatest of evolutionary selection pressures.

I worked in a laboratory for two and a half years with christian scientists. The real whacko evangelical "people don't get sick, they get possessed, and need to be exorcised" born-again type. The bible is gods word, and hence infallible and literal.

One thing my driving instuctor said to me many years ago was "now, when you are in the car and one of your parents is driving, there is one thing I don't want you to do: correct their driving. There is nothing worse than an over-zealous beginner!"

I find this true with many things, and "born-again" christians are not the exception to the rule.

Every person in the lab was that badly christian. I don't like to discriminate against anyones choices, but when my decisions are put down as worthy of hell-fire even though I found over those years that I am much more honest and kind than they even try to appear. My favourite retort when they mentioned I was living in sin with my girlfriend was "yeh, but its bloody good sin!" :lol:

They liked to argue evolution with me... it was like a trained kickboxer walking up behind someone much less prepared and kicking the crap out of them. I always assumed evolution was a fact, and had no real clue about creationism so I had never argued the point before nor did I know how to. They, on the other hand, had to defend creationism every single day. They already knew and had defenses for any point I could make. I started to think I should become a christian, because its correct, but there was always something in the back of my mind telling me to keep trying.

One day it hit me, while my butcher of a chiropractor was "fixing" my whiplash from a car accident. Starlight.

In that two and a half years I came up with one arguement they could not refute:

They agreed with me on some established facts first, the main one being that stars do exist millions of light years away and the "speed of light" to be correct and provable. I then concluded that as the light we are seeing from the stars has been "travelling" for millions of years then the stars it is coming from MUST be atleast that age for us to see it now. Therefore the universe that was created is not the 5,000 years of age they claimed it to be, unless of course god created the star-light mid-journey, but that would make him a liar, and the almighty doesn't create anything false. :wink:

At that point in time, someone in the next room dropped a pin. We all heard it. :lol:

Guest Warrioe-Sage
"The Supersane may be those who are already making this early breakthrough in human awareness somewhat ahead of the rest of humanity. The expansion of man’s ability to experience, assimilate and evaluate his present environment is imperative. If he doesn’t do this, the environment will overwhelm him. New dimensions of human perception may be the exhilarating and dynamic answer to the present stalemate in human life and culture. Humanity with new frontiers of personal abilities and capacities opening up before it can regain its sense of purpose about living.

The Supersane are not supermen or superwomen. They are normally intelligent human beings who are moving through the five sense barrier into a more expanded area of awareness. It has been customary to suppose that the five sense barrier was a limit beyond which man could not go, just as we thought the sound barrier was a boundary not to be crossed. Those who exhibit Higher Sense Perception abilities cannot be ignored or bypassed. They are already quietly making outstanding contributions in our world today. They may be the forerunners of a tremendous evolutionary mutation of the whole human race, or the beginnings of a more normal and slow evolutionary development which will produce a higher type of humanity.

We have moved through the twentieth century so completely enamored by man’s scientific discoveries that we have lost our perspective on man himself as the initiator and the perceiver. We must make a new evaluation of man’s potential for experiencing his environment. We must take into consideration aspects of environment of which we may have been totally unaware. Higher Sense Perception might be tentatively defined as a developing capacity to perceive hitherto unsuspected dimensions of environment.” ~ Breakthrough to Creativity, Your Higher Sense Perception by Shafica Karagulla, M.D .

And don't let the suckers grind you down

Edited by Warrioe-Sage

The greatest factors influencing the evolution of man:

- beer

- footy

- women

- avaliable shed space

- climate and environmental change

The greatest factors influencing the evolution of women:

- the amount of beer men drink

- the amount of footy men watch

- the amount of women men want

- avaliable wardrobe space

Edited by botanika

The greatest factors influencing the evolution of man:

- beer

- footy

- women

- avaliable shed space

The greatest factors influencing the evolution of women:

- the amount of beer men drink

- the amount of footy men watch

- the amount of women men want

- avaliable wardrobe space

Women are the stronger sex. They learnt how to say "no" to sex, and that put them "on top."

I think I prefer them on top. :wink:

Hey, this thread's been degenerating for a while now. :innocent_n:

Hey, this thread's been degenerating for a while now. :innocent_n:

Well it is the evolution of man thread... :P