The Corroboree

My Fave of late has been kangaroo fillet marinated in charsiu and hoisin sauce

grill on hight geat on bbq till medium/m rare

rest...

slice and serve with anything else nice

lately i havent wanted anything else but kangaroo as a meat- save for eggs and a bit of fish

beef is so lame compared to well cooked roo :D

anyone growing habaneros?

they are the best ive found for chilli tahini

Yoghurt 4/5

Tahini 1/5-1/3

heap teaspoon tomato paste - for colour

lemon juice

sea salt to taste

pinch powdered dried deseeded habanero chilli to taste

- habanero and aji type chillis have a great complex flavour that makes them so much more than the heat they add

:)

any good simple recipes for roat duckling? the cooler weather has me eyeing off the one we have in the freezer....

Edited by Rev

REV! good to see you!!! :) :) :)

hmm it might not suit but i'd peri-peri it. I accidentally added cardamom to the ingredients and it's a great addition IMO

Else all I can think of with duck is roast peking on chinese cabbage and white rice with lots of juice, I think a local restaurant corrupted my duck thinking a long time ago :)

My Fave of late has been kangaroo fillet marinated in charsiu and hoisin sauce

grill on hight geat on bbq till medium/m rare

rest...

slice and serve with anything else nice

lately i havent wanted anything else but kangaroo as a meat- save for eggs and a bit of fish

beef is so lame compared to well cooked roo :D

I knew you'd convert :) great to see you back Rev expect an order soon too,everythings ready to go!

My fave is slowly steamed until the blood disappears, then a quick pan sear in mustard seed oil.

When selecting your cuts go for the long thin backstraps and tail cuts(usually when the kg price goes up by 4 bucks a kg :wink: )not the big chunks of thigh as they are tougher and need pounding or raking out.

anyone growing habaneros?

Not this year unfortunately but plenty of dried ones in the freezer from last year.

any good simple recipes for roat duckling? the cooler weather has me eyeing off the one we have in the freezer....

I'd go with citric acid/lime juice or balsamic vinegar mixed with a nice aromatic omega-3 rich oil,Celtic sea-salt basting, and stuff with a 'sagey' type stuffing even rosemary would be nice.

A side-dish of baked taters and some steamed bok-choy and life never tasted so good :wub:

Rev have you tried PC'ing a whole fowl or rabbit?

Spatchcocks are delicious too mmmmm.

Beer can chicken:-)

i was given this recipe by my boss last week, and after much procrastination as to whether the aluminium may leach through the chicken, i finally gave it a go last night and i can tell u this is delish!!! the meat just falls of the bones,,sooooooo nice.

First of all u need a barbie with a hood, preheated to 160degrees (will be tricky if u dont have a thermometer on ur hood.

ok, put 3cm of water in the bottom of a roasting dish. massage oil(i used canola) into ur chicken.

then sprinkle 'masterfoods' portugese seasoning over ur chicken, massage in.

now comes the fun part. get a can of beer,(i used tooheys new) drink EXACTLY half of it, then stick the beer can up the chooks cavity.

place chook and can on baking dish, so that the chook is sitting upright ontop of the can ontop of the dish,making sure chook is not touching water.

put dish ontop of barbie, close the hood.

U MUST watch the chook making sure water doesnt run out, let that happen and its all over.

there should be beer left over so drink that while u watch the chook.

No need to touch the chook while its cooking.

Cooking time is 1/3/4 of an hour, when this time is up, out she comes!!! the best beercan potugese chicken u will ever eat. i shit u not.

p.s what a great thread!!!! im really just starting to learn and appreciate how to cook,

im keen to have a crak at all these recipes-keep em coming!!!!

Edited by jono

HA! :lol: Mustve been piri beer can heaven last few nights!! We did the piri bird too last night!! Yep dam nice., As i was almost too scared to infuse my chicken with aluminium too, i opted to spend $50.00 on a webber poultry cooker(cast ali but coated too, still good!). Basically its a beercan, thick ali dish and infuser. Expensie little gem but should last a lifetime...

I must say it was delish,best BBQ chook in ages and the carcas had all but colapsed it was that tender! 1 hour in the weber was enough.

I love my webber and nothing beats it..... ah meat, salt and charcoal :):drool2:

while we are on cookin the chookin heres another ripper:

gallery_1274_18_30209.jpg

CHAR GRILLED TIKA-DOORI CHICKEN with NAAN and goodies

Bread machine Naan

Ok, so you or your parents may have an old bread machine around the place that hasnt been used in ages? This is a ripper naan that does all the hard work in the bread machine. I spose you could get your hands dirty and mix and knead all the ingredients if you like... :rolleyes:

Serves 2-3

Chuck into bread machine, in no particular order:

1/3 cup warm skim milk

1 teaspoon melted butter or ghee

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

225g bread/pizza flour or similar type(all porpose)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teasppon baking power

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/3 cup plain low fat yogurt

1/2 egg combined

1 teaspoon sugar

Select mix/knead for pizza dough, or similar 45 min dough runtime.

Allow to rest/rise for1-2 hours after program has stopped.

Rip dough into small palmsize balls, and roll out falt on a floured board, till around 2-3mm thick. Oval shape or whatever... Nice and thin..

Place thick bottom frypan on stovetop, set heat to med-high and allow to heat up dry.

When hot, cook flat dough till puffs up on one side(a little burnt bit is ok) then flip over and finish off on the other side till goldenbrown blotches appear. Cook one at a time. Brush a little melted ghee over the bread while hot if you like. Repeat with the leftover dough....

This is the best Naan i have had yet!! Yummmmm....

And now for the chicken :)

TIKA-DOORI CHICKEN

Ive called it Tika-doori chicken, cause ita basically a mix of both tikka chicken and tandoori chicken..... :blink:

Serves 2

2 large chicken breasts

Juice 1 lime or lemon

1 teaspoon cayenne chilli powder

Salt

125ml yogurt

1/2 teaspoon corriander powder

1/2 teaspooon cumin powder

1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder

1/2 teaspoon tandoor colour(anatto red)

1 1/2 tablespoons garam marsala

1/2 teaspoon cinammon or cassia powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic

1/2 teaspoon ginger powder or 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon cayene chilli powder

Ghee

Ok,

Cut the breasts into medium pieces. Place into a glass bowl with the juice of a lime and cayenne, and a pich of salt.

Allow to marinade for 10-20 min at room temp.

Mix yogurt and all other spices and combine with the chicken pieces.

Allow to marinade for 1-3 hours.

After the chookin is swimming in the spiced yogurt for an hour or so, set up your fav charcoal grill and fire it up. Or you can also set the oven to 250dC.

Melt some ghee for basting the skewers.

Place chicken on skewers reasonably tightly and using paper towel and pat the excess yogurt off the chicken.

When max temp has just rolled off the char, place skewers on grill and grill till just hints of char are showing on one side. Baste with melted ghee well, turn the skewers, baste again and place the lid on, dropping the temp down a bit. Cook until just cooked thru. Wrap the cooked hot chicken skewers in foil and allow to rest for about 5 min.

Serve with Naan, jasmine or white rice, Mint Sauce and Mango chuckney(Sharwoods is great)

Quick mint sauce.

2 tablespoons yogurt

pinch of cumin powder,paprika, salt and pepper and sugar

5-10pair mint leaves, cut fine.

water or buttermilk to thin to a nice consisitency.

Allow to rest in fridge for 1-3 hours if possible.

Hope you enjoy!! :drool2::drool2:

Edited by BlackDragon

mice 1 bd i will be trying that one out this weekend, we have a bread cooker we hardly ever use!!!

did u add beer to ur 'can' whilst doing ur peri chicken??? and where did u get ur 'can' from?

The weber poultry cooker link here is what i used... you can see that it has a built in "can', the hoder thing (infuser) and the top plug for the neck ole :)

You should be able to get them at BBQs Galore, and other weber stockists. I think the one i linked was a US weber site tho.

I half filled it with water, put in a bit of lemon peel/zest, some fresh thyme,oregano and sage.

Just finished the tika-doori chicken... that pic was live!! :drool2: yumm. Coopers premium light went rather well with it(im no beer drinker, trust me!)

*** Just noticed on that link it has a video tutorial on beercan chicken!!***

Edited by BlackDragon

The weber poultry cooker link here is what i used... you can see that it has a built in "can', the hoder thing (infuser) and the top plug for the neck ole :)

You should be able to get them at BBQs Galore, and other weber stockists. I think the one i linked was a US weber site tho.

I half filled it with water, put in a bit of lemon peel/zest, some fresh thyme,oregano and sage.

Just finished the tika-doori chicken... that pic was live!! :drool2: yumm. Coopers premium light went rather well with it(im no beer drinker, trust me!)

*** Just noticed on that link it has a video tutorial on beercan chicken!!***

sweet!!! u rock BD! :worship: