The Corroboree

I cant se any other place on the forum to share this so il put it under creativity

it contains no characterise psychoactive compnds yet ist has teh ability to turn diners to a drooling mess

ingredients

1 chicken, whole

1-2 Tbsp Cumin (whole and then freshly ground in coffee grinder- mandatory )

4 Dried red chillis (deseeded)

2 tsp raw sugar

juice of a whole lemon

salt (pref Seasalt) to season

pepper (pref whole or cracked) to season

1 Tbsp Oil - i prefer grapeseed or olive

all optional

1/2 Tbsp Fresh ground coriander pods

1- 2 Tbsp tomato paste

grind whole dry spices in coffee grinder

mix dry ingrediants with liquid ingredients in a wide bowl

cut chicken down the backbone so it lays flat

rub spice miture all over chicken , inside and out

allow to marinate 1/2 to 1 hour

roast with insides down flat on a tray doe 30 - 45 min or till done

serve on jasmine rice with juices and a glass of preferred beer or wine

expect fights over second helpings

my 2 1/2 year old eats over 1/4 nearer a half chicken when we make this. normally she doesnt like meat.

Edited by Rev

Another recipe...

Lamb kofte

500g mince lamb

1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs

2 medium brown onions grated or choppe very finely

a good dose of fine chopped parsley

1/2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp fresh ground cumin

1/2 tsp chilli powder or 1-2 deseeded fresh ground dry chillis

2 tsp turmeric

1 tsp ground allspice

mix all together

shape 1/4 cup of lamb mix around a skewer ( or form to chevaps)

cook until done on bbq or hot pan, turning as needed

serve with sauce and a salad

sauce

either chilli tahini saice or tahini sauce

Tahini sauce

greek yoghurt

lemon juice

tahini

seasalt

optional of fresh ground desseded chili

mix to taste

blend and serve over hot Kofte with salad side

salad

Fresh butterhead lettuce 50%

fresh rocket leaves 50%

+ other salad bits- any

dressing

balsamic vinegar

walnut oil

I cant se any other place on the forum to share this so il put it under creativity

it contains no characterise psychoactive compnds yet ist has teh ability to turn diners to a drooling mess

ingredients

1 chicken, whole

1-2 Tbsp Cumin (whole and then freshly ground in coffee grinder- mandatory )

4 Dried red chillis (deseeded)

2 tsp raw sugar

juice of a whole lemon

salt (pref Seasalt) to season

pepper (pref whole or cracked) to season

1 Tbsp Oil - i prefer grapeseed or olive

all optional

1/2 Tbsp Fresh ground coriander pods

1- 2 Tbsp tomato paste

grind whole dry spices in coffee grinder

mix dry ingrediants with liquid ingredients in a wide bowl

cut chicken down the backbone so it lays flat

rub spice miture all over chicken , inside and out

allow to marinate 1/2 to 1 hour

roast with insides down flat on a tray doe 30 - 45 min or till done

serve on jasmine rice with juices and a glass of preferred beer or wine

expect fights over second helpings

my 2 1/2 year old eats over 1/4 nearer a half chicken when we make this. normally she doesnt like meat.

Maybe mint? Might got pork.

Lamb isn't in the U.S. except for NZ.

U.S wants AUSTRALIAN lamb cuts.

Its very expensive to buy prime beef.

:P

My most secret recipe which beer based chicken.

Some how long ago I got a glaze using coors beer that I I have never been able to reproduce.

balsamic vinegar

It definity the magic ingredient in any pot recipe.

Trying your peri peri chicken recipe right now Rev.

Will let you know how it turns out.

OK I got give it to you your peri peri chicken recipe is pretty special.

At first I just had about a quarter and thought it was pretty nice. I went out for a few drinks. When I came home about 3 hours later I devoured the rest of it and was one of the nicest things I have ever tasted :)

LOl

yeah

(insert Homer J simpsons famous arghh/drooling noise ;) :D)

prickly pear, optunia spp. (eat the pest!), entire cactus is edible. between spring and the end of summer, harvest smaller pads (10-15cm pads). remove the thorns and eyes. grill on barbeque until tender or in oven at high temp. cool and slice into strips lengthwise. (strips no bigger than 5mm or so).

nopales (no-PAR-les) or nopalitos (no-par-LEE-toes) -man, converting spanish into australian phonetics from a californian brain is something else entirely- :blink: are what you have when you have sliced the pads into strips. check out google for a heap of nopales or nopalitos recipes.

ensalada de nopales

3 cups chilled nopales

1 purple onion

1 large avocado

1 fresh tomato (if you're into that :puke:)

1/2 cup cilantro (coriander)

1/2 cup queso fresco crumbled (or use crumbled colby if there's no queso fresco in your area :P)

1 small jar jalapenos

1 small lime

salt to taste

oregano to taste

mix together nopales, cilantro, cheese, jalapenos, lime juice, salt and oregano in a bowl and let set in fridge for thirty minutes. remove and toss. add avocado and tomato, mix gently and serve.

(if you're game you can add prickly pear fruit bits to the salad as well)

prickly pear buds (tunas -tooNARS- en espanol)

yellow, white and purple 'pears' are eaten. i like the purple pears. soak them in cold water. peel them thoroughly (after soaking slice the peel off one side and just peel as you would any other fruit like avocado) but don't get hurt. chill them in cold water. slice them and serve. you can also make jam from these as per any standard jam recipe.

Edited by evolutionNth

I once ate hash tacos...dont know the recipe but it wasnt too bad...after an hour EVERYONE wanted second, third, and fourth helpings...dunno why >_>

Cool evolution, I always wondered how to traditionally process Opuntia but was too lazy to look it up.

Can you describe for us the taste/texture/etc?

Can you describe for us the taste/texture/etc?

do i get a special badge or hat if i do? secret decoder ring? uncensored posting allowance?

do i get a special badge or hat if i do? secret decoder ring? uncensored posting allowance?

HEY ! No baiting the Moderators ! Or ELSE !

I'll trade ya some shredded betel and a chunk of bridgesii that I didn't have enough pottage for?

Is someone censoring your posting allowance? What does that even mean?

I'll trade ya some shredded betel and a chunk of bridgesii that I didn't have enough pottage for?

that's ok but thanks for the generous offer, i don't need a bribe this week although a bridgesii sounds cool i've never chewed any betel :). the cactus tastes just like cactus, kinda nondescript but it takes on the flavours you mix with it. it can get slimy and isn't incredibly delicious. roasted is best. a lot of folks boil it which makes it hideously slimey. the "pears" are actually sweet and reminiscent of dragonfruit. the 'pears' of barrel cactus, though, are quite delicious steamed and reminiscent of the flavour of brussels sprouts with the texture of the choke section of artichoke.

I've yet to taste or partake of the slime of cacti.

How does it compare to okra or gumbo in terms of sliminess?

Hey guys/gals - nice recipes so far!

Quick question, I purchased a half of a dragonfruit yesterday - nice and really dark red/purple - but I'm not sure how to consume it. I remember once many years ago my mum got one or two from the markets and we just chomped it down kinda like a mango or passionfruit - scooped the centre out with a spoon and didnt eat the skin. Is this right?

Also, how would one go about harvesting the seeds from a fruit? Would the ones from a market contain viable seeds? Would picking some out and drying them on a windowsill, then later planting like a loph/trich be worth while? Has anyone had any luck trying this? Sorry for the thread hijack - I added a recipe for Swiss Chicken in one of the other threads :P Very nice and worth a look :)

Thanks for any help!!

Ace

Hey guys/gals - nice recipes so far!

Quick question, I purchased a half of a dragonfruit yesterday - nice and really dark red/purple - but I'm not sure how to consume it. I remember once many years ago my mum got one or two from the markets and we just chomped it down kinda like a mango or passionfruit - scooped the centre out with a spoon and didnt eat the skin. Is this right?

Also, how would one go about harvesting the seeds from a fruit? Would the ones from a market contain viable seeds? Would picking some out and drying them on a windowsill, then later planting like a loph/trich be worth while? Has anyone had any luck trying this? Sorry for the thread hijack - I added a recipe for Swiss Chicken in one of the other threads :P Very nice and worth a look :)

Thanks for any help!!

Ace

I just eat them by peeling like an avocado (use a large spoon to scoop out the flesh. Its a uniform white gelatinous mass with the seeds scattered all through the substance. You can slice it up much like ram's testicle (popular in Afghanistan) with a slight diagonal or elliptical cut, or cut into bite size pieces and serve with toothpicks.

Two ways with the seeds. You'll eat so many that if you shit on a piece of newspaper about 24 hours later and put it in the garden you should have plenty of new plants in several weeks.

Or you can just run one of the small slices or portions into a sieve macerating it and collecting the material that gets through and drying it. Your sieve's coarseness will determine what you'll get - the seeds may get trapped on the inside which is even better - my sieve lets it all through like a macerated paste which I just put on a piece of kitchen paper and put out in the sun. They're dry in a day or three.

Awesome - thanks 'username'! I'll give it a shot - well perhaps not the shit in the garden tek :wink:

Dragonfruit also come in a rich red colour. I prefer the red. I love it blended in a morning/breakie smoothie, with assorted berries and grape or fruit juice to make a drinkable slurry! Yum, and great brain food to boot!

prickly pear, optunia spp. (eat the pest!), entire cactus is edible. between spring and the end of summer, harvest smaller pads (10-15cm pads). remove the thorns and eyes. grill on barbeque until tender or in oven at high temp. cool and slice into strips lengthwise. (strips no bigger than 5mm or so).

nopales (no-PAR-les) or nopalitos (no-par-LEE-toes) -man, converting spanish into australian phonetics from a californian brain is something else entirely- :blink: are what you have when you have sliced the pads into strips. check out google for a heap of nopales or nopalitos recipes.

ensalada de nopales

3 cups chilled nopales

1 purple onion

1 large avocado

1 fresh tomato (if you're into that :puke:)

1/2 cup cilantro (coriander)

1/2 cup queso fresco crumbled (or use crumbled colby if there's no queso fresco in your area :P)

1 small jar jalapenos

1 small lime

salt to taste

oregano to taste

mix together nopales, cilantro, cheese, jalapenos, lime juice, salt and oregano in a bowl and let set in fridge for thirty minutes. remove and toss. add avocado and tomato, mix gently and serve.

(if you're game you can add prickly pear fruit bits to the salad as well)

prickly pear buds (tunas -tooNARS- en espanol)

yellow, white and purple 'pears' are eaten. i like the purple pears. soak them in cold water. peel them thoroughly (after soaking slice the peel off one side and just peel as you would any other fruit like avocado) but don't get hurt. chill them in cold water. slice them and serve. you can also make jam from these as per any standard jam recipe.

Ive eaten red, will I die?

obviously you're already dead and experiencing all of this from another plane of existence. go to the light, man, go to the light....

The prickly pear is a surprisingly palatable cacti, and one which i know of at least two unrelated Italian families grow specifically for purposes of consumption. I wonder if this might be a medeterranian culinary custom ?

A word of warning to those who don't generally handle cactii, the prickly pear has some nasty little spikes that are near impossible to remove once embedded into the body (Ive previously found that the only way to alleviate the sting is to shed several layers of skin - effective but inconvenient, especially if its on your fingertips and you play guitar)

They are an invasive species, so there should be no hesitation to cull them if you have an opportunity to do so. We can blame the introduction of this species on the first fleet, and subsequent widespread usage as a cattle-food in NSW since the 1800's.

Ok, heres one of my fav fish dishes. Taken and adapted from good ol "fish mongers" at byron, but that was a looong time ago...

POPPY AND SPICE ENCRUSTED SALMON FILLETS with ROAST SWEET POTATO & PESTO.

gallery_1274_18_33359.jpg

(hope you like my dodgy pic)

Serves 2

Ingredients.

2X Salmon fillets, deboned and skin ON

*CRUST*

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp fennel powder

1 tsp dill weed tips

1 tblsp white poppy seeds

1 tblsp blue/black poppy seed

Salt(flaked sea or murray) and pepper to taste

Olive oil to moisten fillets.

*ROAST SPUDS*

1X sweet potato, gold, orange or whatever

2X medium normal potato(insert your fav spud here!)

1 tsp paprika, sweet

1/2 tsp dill tips

Salt and pepper to taste

Olive oil to coat.

*PESTO*

Your fav pesto in the jar or whip up some fresh basil and rocket pesto

Instructions.

*ROAST SPUDS*

Get the spuds going first, peel the sweet spud if ya like, i dont bother peeling normal spuds. Chop up into 1/4 or managable pieces. Par-boil or microwave with tiny bit of water for 4 min on high. Turn on the oven to 200dC. Remove any water from spuds and allow them to dry in the air for a min or two. Add paprika and dill, salt, pepper and tablespoon or two of olive oil to coat the spunds thoroughly. Roast for 20 min at 200, then drop it down to 150 or so. Sweet spuds burn quickly due to their high sugar content. You want a little few burnt tips on the sweet spuds when they are done.

*SALMON*

Check there are no bones in the fillets. coat the fillets in a "little" olive oil, even though they are naturally oily, it helps hold the crust on. Sprinkle over the dill, fennel, cumin, and finally both types of poppy seed. Pat firmly to insure that it sticks all around, except the skin side. Turn the fillets over and salt and pepper the skin.

HEAT up your pan, and get it very hot.

Add a few drops of olive oil to the pan and place the salmon skin side down first, and give it plenty of heat till you see that skin start to get nice and crispy. Turn the salmon to the side, cook for min or two each of the remaining 3 sides. Re-crisp the skin if needed near the end.

I know a few fisheaters that dont like their fish overcooked. If you do this correctly, you will have crunchy skin, and crispy browned all over and melt in the mouth center. Not overcooked :)

Plate up with the roast sweet and normal spuds, and a dollop of pesto. It a rich meal, a bit of crunchy italian bread goes well with it.

Hope you enjoy!!

BD :drool2: