The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

A little sub story

That rain last night sure sped things up!

th_85390_DSC03124.JPGth_85394_DSC03109.JPGth_85402_DSC03113.JPGth_85407_DSC03117.JPG

th_85412_DSC03114.JPG

Edited by naja naja

Wicked stuff :D

omg man! the most pristine subs ever!

we should give you a prize of some sort

I was thinking that, but then I realised that he already had one :)

That's incredibly awesome Naja, most hearty congratulations to you.

Here's a great example of why to check the I.d. of each mushroom, not just assume they r because they r growing next to each other. Can anybody spot the imposter?th_34982_DSC03145.JPG

Here it is(on Right):th_34989_DSC03127.JPGth_34994_DSC03131.JPG

the dirty little fukka. It looked too dark as a pin and has grown way too fast. Also notice the diff in stem and cap texture. Is this a gallerina?

And just a few pics for ur pleasure:

th_34998_DSC03152.JPGth_35005_DSC03149.JPG

Notice the distict white margin. I have never noticed this on any I've seen in the wild.

th_35644_DSC03153.JPGth_35652_DSC03143.JPGth_35656_DSC03140.JPG

Enjoy :D

Edited by naja naja

thats all just plain bewdifull man!

congratulations, tis stylish procuring of the fungal fineness :wub::wub::wub::worship::worship:

This is a potentially dangerous immitation sub mushroom. An experienced person should be able to tell the diff, but an inexperienced hunter could easily key this to a sub. The main diff I noticed r the texture and lack of blueing.

But goes to show, that when picking from the wild it is vatally important to make sure every mushroom blues. As u can see this immatation and a real sub are actually growing, touching each other.

Notice the whitish stem, caramel cap, same coloured gills and a brownish/purple spore print.

th_23664_DSC03158.JPGth_23674_DSC03161.JPGth_23681_DSC03176.JPGth_23686_DSC03177.JPG

th_23691_DSC03181.JPG

And a few pics for ur enjoyment.

th_24927_DSC03156.JPGth_24077_DSC03160.JPGth_24920_DSC03159.JPGth_24083_DSC03163.JPG

th_24089_DSC03164.JPG

Edited by naja naja

Great pictures Naja!

What in you opinion are the most important points for positively identifying the subs? (Other than blueing of course).

Also, has anyone positively identified the imposter mushroom?

Gill/stem colour and smell are the main things I look for (besides shape/colour of cap).

If the gills are white or yellow, or the stem is yellow - throw it away.

That "imposter" may be of the Hypholoma genus.

Hypholoma sublateritium maybe.

a wood lover with purple brown to puprle black spore print.

Have seen alot of these this season. Another member of this genus, Hypholoma australe, is also confused with psilocybes, alot of people i have taken out come back with them by mistake but they have a more green tinge than any blue staining.

That "imposter" may be of the Hypholoma genus.

Hypholoma sublateritium maybe.

Do you know of anyone who has mistakenly (or intentionally) consumed any hypholomas? H. capnoides is a north american woodlover of highly reputable culinary quality.

No, i have never tasted them, nor has anyone that i know. The Brick cap mushroom (Hypholoma sublateritium) is suspected of being midly poisonous and apparently has a bitter taste. Hypholoma fasciculare is also recorded as having a repulsively bitter taste.

Hypholoma Fasciculare

I do see how some pople may get them confused, but the trained eye should easily pick the difference.

The Astrale and the Sublateritium look nothing like Subaeruginosa or Cubensis..

Edited by alkatrope

Hypholoma Fasciculare

I do see how some pople may get them confused, but the trained eye should easily pick the difference.

The Astrale and the Sublateritium look nothing like Subaeruginosa or Cubensis..

Hypholoma australe.

post-1464-1148200654_thumb.jpg

It is not mistaken to the extent that it is collected and comsumed. Alot of people i have taken out mistake these different mushies for psilocybes because the are only learning to identify. The first thing they notice is any mushie that has a orange, brown, caramel or honey coloured caps. The brick cap has caught my eye a few times this season, there has been nil rain since the first flush of subs and things have almost ground to a halt, so any little glimpse of the familiar colour in the undergrowth warrants investigation.

and i forgot to mention,

that is awsome naja, keep the pics comming. Lets see how long "your" season goes for.

well done.

Hypholoma_australe.jpg

Hypholoma_australe.jpg

Edited by phleb

awesome subs naja! amping!~

The last pin from the first flush, finally mature. Largest one yet from this tray.

th_50739_DSC03260.JPGth_50744_DSC03261.JPG

th_50750_DSC03262.JPGth_50757_DSC03272.JPG

th_50762_DSC03274.JPG

And.... I could tell quite sum time ago that the pins under the tray were not subs or the previous weed species.

URL=http://img153.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc300ℑ=51141_DSC03266.JPG]th_51141_DSC03266.JPG[/url]th_51146_DSC03269.JPGth_51150_DSC03269.JPGth_51155_DSC03270.JPG

These look like a corprinus species to me.

And the second flush is just starting. I can count about 30-50 pins which should be photo worthy in a couple o days.

But these fuckin weed shrooms keep popping up and seem to be getting more prolific. There is a bunch in the centre under the tray and more keep popping up. Can I cut the caps off as pins to stop them developing into mature rooms?and hopefully, eventually eradicate them.

Sub pin on left, weed shroom on right.

th_51411_DSC03271.JPG

Nice, they're looking great :D

Let us know how the potency goes.

Your imposters have pretty gills ^_^

Those weedy ones appear to be present at a few Sydney sub patches too...good indicator species?

Reading through the great Bluemeanie's archives of lookalikes I would guess that the reddish brown one is Stropharia aurantiaca. Maybe :)

As for the weed mushrooms, I seen quite a bit of that variety my self, they seem to do well. I like seeing any fungi grow, a bit unfair to label them a weed.

Amazing stuff naja!

As for the weed mushrooms, I seen quite a bit of that variety my self, they seem to do well. I like seeing any fungi grow, a bit unfair to label them a weed.

Amazing stuff naja!

Sorry, but horticulturally speaking, "any plant growing where it is not wanted can automatically be declared a weed to that person" So anything can be a weed. It is not derogetory, just accurate.

And I grow prickly pear at home and consider it a prized garden plant and not a weed.(Although I think it is classed as a noxious weed) It's not a weed to me.

But I see where ur comin from, I love to see them grow too. That is why I have left them to mature rather than pull 'em.

thanks all for ur kind words

Naja

Oh and as for potency, I'm sorry to report, but that is up shit creek! Hardly blue and hardly taste.

Edited by naja naja

But I see where ur comin from, I love to see them grow too. That is why I have left them to mature rather than pull 'em.

Pulling them up won't do much. The mycelium will all still be there and that's what will be competing with the desirable species. It would be just like pulling the fruit off a weedy plant and leaving the whole root system and vegetative parts to compete with your crops.