The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

7cm lopho with pup on Ebay, starting cheap.

Shaman, someone may outbid you, there's still 8 days to go!! If you're looking for a L Williamsii why don't you try bidding on THIS ONE which was put up last night, and there's two to bid on aswell :)

Hmmm.......... That guy offered me a private sale and when I asked about the age of his cacti he said they were all 9 months old grown from seed. I then questioned him saying he had told me they were 3-4 and he got rather pissed asking me to show him where he had written that, now he's put them up for auction. :huh:

SaBReT00tH, I'm confused... the link you offered sent me to an ebay item marked "*RARE* Lophophora Button Cactus 3 - 4 Years Old", the seller being one 'kid_lucky'. Also on your post is a link to your ebay items for sale, also with a "*RARE* Lophophora Button Cactus 3 - 4 Years Old", the seller being again 'kid_lucky'. The item number for both these items is '7764007108'. If you want to advertise your shop & items then why not just be up-front about it? Can you explain your response to blangschpeer please? Just wanting to clear things up :) Cheers all and have a good one,

DQD

shaman --> Yes the Lophophora for sale is Williamsii. Scandals of ebay? What scandals? I have excellent positive feedback on ebay and although I've just begun selling a few items on ebay for the first time, I've only received positive feedback again on sent items.

Blangschpeer --> I was never rude, I just said to you in a message 'tell me where I said that' after you were misquoting me and accusing me of saying different things. I know any messages through phone SMS, instant messenger or any online form can be very hard to interpret if the person is actually being rude or not as you can't hear the tones of a person's voice or see the actions on their face through an online message, so please believe me when I say I never had any intention of being rude, I was just merely informing you that you had your facts from me confused. You're confused because you originally asked me several questions about the HBWR I had for sale and my reply was they're 9 months old grown from seed but you must've thought that answer was in relation to the Loph, as maybe you asked how many years old that is also. The private sale I offered you was for the Gotu Kola as I had a second one with no bids and again wanted to get rid of it, I didn't offer you a private sale of the Loph. I think what has happened is you've asked and replied several questions about several items and the answers etc have been getting mixed up. When you reply with the ebay ask question function can you please include the sent message please, or the subject or name of the item that you're talking about, that way we won't get confused. I will do the same also. Any questions you have on anything feel free to PM me through the forum, or send me an email if you like. :)

De Quinceys Dream --> I only just put that Loph up for auction, I've never denied they weren't mine anywhere or denied my username on ebay, if I wanted to deny I wouldn't have put the link up in my SAB signature :)

Creach ---> Yes my friend, I'm studying Marketing, hehe, trying to implement the tools of the trade really. :) Doing a bit of practical experience in my spare time (ebay), as I'm studying the subject of Marketing Communications (Advertising) also. Yes the word 'rare' is overused on ebay and that is why I use it on things which are harder for the everyday person to find. For example most nurseries or bunnings etc will not have a Gotu Kola or really any ethnobotanicals for sale there. For example a modem I'm selling I would not call rare because they can be bought anywhere. To tell you the truth I'm not actually trying to profit heaps or make a business out of it, I just needed to get rid of a few plants (due to insufficient room in the garden) and thought Ebay would be a good way to recouperate the value of the plant. Again, the title and the included accentuated description of the features of the plant is really just to get a bid at all. You have much more chance of creating a bidder's interest if you provide a photo, interesting description of the uses of the plant and word your title attractively. The title of an item in essence if your advertisement, as it's what people see when they search a category, or input certain words. The 'miracle' bit in the title was really the same idea in the way that the Hoodia marketers advertise Hoodia as a 'miracle diet cactus' so I have been looking at a couple of marketing techniques.

Edited by SaBReT00tH

IMO ebay is full of people making outrageous claims about their products, which is problematic both ethically and pragmatically as it makes it harder to find real information about the thing you are buying. Perhaps I am taking this way too seriously but it really bugs me when people misrepresent what they are selling.

Gotu kola is not rare, around here you can get it from nurseries or your local wetland as it is native. Perhaps it is harder to get in your area, but I don't think rare is an appropriate word. It propagates very easily by runners and IMO shouldn't be sold for more than the cost of the soil it's in and the time-value of the 10 seconds it might take to grow it.

Misrepresenting a product is not something that requires knowledge of marketing, anyone can do it. I would think/hope that if you are studying marketing you would realise that making unrealistic claims about the qualities of your product is not only unethical but would be detrimental to business in the long run, because customers will figure out that gotu kola is not actually miraculous or rare and choose not to do business with someone who uses deception to sell.

Anyway, sorry for the flaming, you are welcome to market your products in any way you want :). Just don't expect me to buy them :wink:. Good luck in your venture into ebay commerce.

I think shaman was just having a little joke about my earlier comment when he said 'the scandals of ebay'.

Edited by creach

dude, I could say the same about cactus, it's easy to propagate, no water, no care, can take harsh amounts of sunlight and heat and it thrives, and even in the winter it continues to grow. Then you cutoff a piece or a pup and it grows its own roots!! And look how much people are selling them for on the net!!! I didn't even try to sell the Gotu Kola on this forum or even mention it so I don't know what you're complaining about. Nothing in the Gotu Kola description in the body of the item is untrue either. You say it's harder to find real information about the thing you are buying?? Do you go into a used car yard and ask them for information on a car?? Personally I'd research it a little myself. The information I used in the body of my item description is actually sourced from an encyclopedia. Rare is an opinionated word and the interpretation differes from person to person. I'm the only person selling Gotu Kola on ebay also. If other ebay users are selling Gotu Kola dried material for $4.50 - $12.90 then why isn't a VERY LARGE plant worth $9.99 on ebay? If I was selling something privately then yes I would charge a lower price but with ebay the market is price competitive. And no you can't get Gotu Kola down here anywhere that I know of, I go into every plant shop I can find and browse around. It may grow wild in some places but so does native Erythroxylum and Syrian Rue, and they sell for at least the same price, with some Erythroxylum species selling for at least $20 US. I've also found it quite hard in summer to propagate Gotu Kola because there are so many days with 44 degree harsh sun which through the heat or the intensity causes the newly transplanted leaves to droop and then shrivel up. I've found it much easier in winter time to propagate it. Also how is that misrepresenting at all? Gotu Kola IS a memory herb and DOES work, and IMO is a miracle herb from Indian Ayurvedic medicine. Lookat some of the other prices people are selling plants on ebay for, more than $9.99, and Creach you do know about ebay fees don't you? Yes, ebay puts a fee on for listing your item, the design of your page and then takes a % of your final sale figure, which actually leaves you a small amount left, considering all the time you put into petrol, driving to the post office, packing the item, waiting in line, sending it, and also typing out the item description and making the page look attractive. Like I also said, I'm not trying to do business, just sell a few spare plants (3-4 really) and have only mentioned the Loph in this thread, as they are definitely rare, and the price I have listed it for is slightly under the common value that Lophs of that size and age are sold for. Creach, you automatically stereotype an entire seller due to one item yet if you look at my others they are being offered for way below their worth yet you seem to focus on trying to portray me in a negative image rather than including any positives. Do you call an 'as new' barely used ADSL modem router being sold for $50 as misrepresenting and unethical? Or a D-Link DSL-10MF ADSL modem which was retailing for $92.88 being offered for $20 with bonus cords, instructions and software included as unethical?

Edited by SaBReT00tH

Looks like I hit a nerve :blink:

As I said, I may be taking this way too seriously, but this is something that particularly bugs me. You have some good points, and I'm sure you're not making a killing out of your $9.99 centella.

My point is just that ebay is full of exaggeration and misinformation. Personally I view this as a problem, and I think it's a safe bet to say I'm not the only one. So why add to it? Particularly if you are studying marketing and advertising.

I haven't stereotyped you or judged you, I never said anything about your other items. Your loph looks like good value, and I would agree that 'rare' is an appropriate descriptor for lophophora (as is 'miracle' :wink:). I was sincere when I said good luck in your ebay ventures. Peace :).

Nine lophs have just been put up for auction on Ebay. Looks like the same seller that sold the 7cm specimen.

There is also some loph seeds for auction. two packets of 100+ seeds and one packet of 200+ seeds!

Edited by phleb

just saw that as well. four days to go on some cheap, great looking loph specimens. i got one of the lophs from the same seller last time and it is a nice fat little plant - well worth the $28

40_2.JPG

one of them looks like it's rotted around it's side and being covered by the centimetre measurer? Or does that loph just have a very small amount of vertical growth and a huge amount of taproot? Also, why does the dude that sells these keep naming them 'Lohophora's' when it's 'Lophophora's'? Lots of people successfully seem to sell their Lophs labelled Lophophora on ebay without getting them pulled down so you'd think that changing the name would make it almost impossible for anyone to find the items if they're searching for 'lophophora'. I guess he gets most of his customers from just browsing through the main cactus categories.

Edited by SaBReT00tH

one of them looks like it's rotted around it's side and being covered by the centimetre measurer? Or does that loph just have a very small amount of vertical growth and a huge amount of taproot?

Yeah I thought a lot of them looked a bit manky...

Damn no message titles! I apologise for having a go at your ebay alter ego sabertooth and wish you all the best with that sale :)

Yeah I thought a lot of them looked a bit manky...

ill have to have another look, i only had a quick glance at two as i was late for work

ive seen a loph that grew upwards, had enough light and the growth below it would go brown and hard, it was about 3-4 cm high at the time, the guy grew other lophs which were normal.

New lots of seed on ebay.

T bridgesii

T pachanoi

T peruvianus

T terscheckii

All starting at $4.50 for 25 seeds.

there are also some T. pach and T. peru seeds(100 each pack) for $15.

There was Bridgesii but i snatched them up.

Edited by phleb

Just got my Loph off ebay today...:D:D its about 1cm

Since its winter i shouldnt do much just leave it yeah?

I'm no expert but IMO two that I've recently bought from ebay I just planted with no water. I've read that no water is required in winter. IMO if my lophs looked like they were starting to shrivel I would give them a small saucer of water undeneath their pot (which is situated indoors, near a windowsill, on an electric blanket). I believe if the loph was outside in winter then a saucer wouldn't be a good idea as the cold breezes could chill the roots and the loph would probably not like this.

I've read that no water is required in winter. IMO if my lophs looked like they were starting to shrivel I would give them a small saucer of water undeneath their pot (which is situated indoors, near a windowsill, on an electric blanket).

As Planthelper always says: Be a little bit careful because shrivelling can also be caused by too much water due to root rot. If it shrivels, and you haven't watered it for a while (weeks to months in winter) then water it and see what happens. If the shrivelling does not go away in a couple of days, dig the lophs up and put them in a dry warm place with bare roots for a while before planting them again in dry soil.

There was a 42yr old loph on ebay that had another 7 days to go... Seems they pulled it last night/today! :(

WHAT!! :o thats fucked!! I didnt know they could do that.. How is it an auction if they do that... I was watchin that and waiting til the last day...Grrrr :ana:

Woah $305 for a 42yr old loph..

i dont think it went for $305 perhaps the seller got a better private offer and pulled it because it would make no sense to pull it early at such a price.