Shroom-Aura

locations of active mushroom species

location of a copelandia found off the mainland

Copelandia

the location of bluemeanies in north Northern Territory

Copelandia cyanescens

this Gymnopilus is aka G. spectabilis

Gymnopilus pampeanus

heres the location of an active pan that no australian shroomer actively seeks out, found in vic

Panaeolus fimicola

if newbie hunters, or anyone else is having trouble finding subs in victoria, this page shows 4 locations.

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Edited by Trich-Aura

Very interesting however...none near me! :ana:

is there like an internet database with all the locations of active fungi? that would.......make very interesting reading!

The panaeolus listed that is apparently active and found in Victoria, looks to be closer to Canberra judging by the map. I have seen heaps of panaeolus where i live, although i have never taken the time to have a GOOD look at them, i think this season i will.

Arent they one of the ones recently ID'd in Melbourne by the local gardens or council or something?

Was in an old SAB thread, there were a couple of new sounding ones I think.

Im pretty sure that pan is synonymous with another species and isnt found in victoria - more like NSW and QLD.

As for subs, there spread is a little wider than the map might indicate.

As fo Gyms - we have a species in aussie that is similar to Spectabilis but it lacks activity and is slightly different. We do have another known active gym - purpurtus

Panaeolus fimicola is synonymous with Panaeolus ater. Is my geography really that bad? It looked like the north border of vic to me. I posted a link to a site a while back which was called the perth urban bushland fungi website, which had P. fimicola listed as being found in Perth, so I don't think that it's impossible for it to grow in temperate climates like vic. Do you have a reference for P. fimicola/ater growing in NSW or QLD? I don't think the map is meant to indicate the full geographical distribution, I think it just indicates locations of reported finds. Yes we do have many Gymnopilus species, this database lists 11 other species, but I'm pretty sure we get spectabilis as well (which I beleive is inactive in some collections). Tony Youngs latest field guide has Gymnopilus junonious (synonymous with G. spectabilis) listed as growing in SA, NSW, QLD and VIC. It also says that in early literature G. junonious was reffered to as G. pampeanus. And yes I know we get G. purpuratus but these were the only active mushrooms listed in the database, if it was there I would of included it.

Edited by Trich-Aura

yeah looking into it a bit more i realise i was thinking of a different pan - my mistake.

I had never heard that it was in australia before - It looks like it could handle the cold a lot more than the pans we are commonly looking at - so this could be interesting if anyone can find them. I think they are pretty low in potency but worth a look.

I have also heard that people have found Pan Subbalt. in Victoria - but ive never seen them. Cool post either way mate.

A thought has constantly been occuring, when I read of new species bing found in Oz. All the new finds seem to occur over there on the east coast. But I live on the west coast, in the S.W. corner.

Should I be keeping an eye out for new species over here too? The Karri forrests at certain times of the year are just smothered in various fungi. And there is surely enough pine/eucalypt forrests for for the woodlovers. The closest I know of wild subs growing is 65 km away, which isn't that far.

Any ideas on ones that I could possibly keep an eye out for? Cold wheather varieties only ofcourse, we don't do tropical here.

All the best

:ph34r:

P.S. I don't think a location map is good, but a distribution map, like the ones used for animal species would be fine. u know, the map of australia with a shaded portion showing there known range limits.

I know a place in Qld where Psilocybe subaeruginosa exist but that isn't on the map. Although they aren't very common in that particular area.

I know a place in Qld where Psilocybe subaeruginosa exist but that isn't on the map. Although they aren't very common in that particular area.

i've been wondering where they may occur in Qld, i have plans to check out some of the cooler mountain spots this winter. my inspiration was brought on by the 'toxic fungi of SE Qld' poster i managed to score, kindly supplied by Queensland Government which shows both subs and amanita muscaria as local Qld residents... :ph34r: