The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet

Fijian Kava

I recently obtained some fijian kava from fiji. Someone i know bought it for me while they were in fiji and I have brewed several batches but can't notice much of an effect. I can feel some numbness in the mouth and back of the throat when i drink it but that is about all. This was from drinking a batch of about 200 grams left to brew overnight in 1/2 - 1 litre of water.

why am i not getting sufficient effects? i was hoping it would help me sleep :(

Is fijian kava very low potency?

A lot of people report that when using Kava for the first time it can be difficult to notice full

effects(also reported with cannabis and others?). I've never had this problem.

I dont believe Fijian kava is the most potent

available but keep at it and you will enjoy Yaqona. B)

Are you sure the kava you got was powdery?

A friend of mine was also given kava by a samoan guy and he didn't notice any effects either, so I had a look of what was left in the snappy, and it was mainly the rougher pieces and some larger residue.

In comparison to the kava I have bought from Herbalistics it looked like what I had left in my nylon-stocking filter after 5-10 minutes of squezing the wet kava. -_-

Anyway, giving used kava to people as gifts is not very nice, so lets hope your friend is good friend... :P

Bula

wau, waht a scoop! Bodo loves the love monkey

Edited by darcy

then chewing the left over fibres to extract any residues.

Yeaaargghghghgh.

I wish you could just smoke the stuff.

I brought back some Fijian at the same time as my parents brought back some Vanuatuan a couple of years ago. 25g was enough to get me to where I wanted to be, and my stuff which was what the locals drank blew away the tourist-trap stuff my parents had been sold. So it's not so much the country of origin, but the freshness and quality of the powder. Basically, if it numbs the lips, it should eventually numb the brain :wink: The main wildcard seems to be the euphoria vis a vis sedative quotient.

Also, as I have mentioned before, I don't think the process should be thought of as one of water extraction. There is a possibility you threw some goodies away by not doing the knead-in-the-bag thing.

I was once kneed in the bag :huh:

speak of the devil, yesterday I found and bought a sack of Waka grade Kava at a store just off North East Road (Dernamcourt) in Adelaide. It was in a supermarket which sold Indian, Islander, Fijian, and Sri Lankan groceries. I made a batch last night (about 4 tablespoons medium-well heaped, in 1 litre of cold water. I had drunk 1 beer and had 1 glass of champagne whilst sipping some of the kava. I'm sure the combination was very beautiful and enhanced by the alcohol, as mentioned in information on the internet. I felt chilled out, more positively than the usual effects of alcohol. *note, by the end of the bowl of kava all the sediment had been consumed, and no filtering through a teatowel or such occured at all. I believe if one is brave enough to do so, that consuming some of the sediment definitely gets more of the effects of the kava. Overall, with the small amount of kava I dished out, I was pleased with the effects and enhancement of the alcohol combination. Bring on the Waka anyday!! :D

I tried it again, let it soak for ages and was kneading it like a loaf of bread.... still nothing. Maybe it is just a bad batch or just not fresh enough. The only thing i experienced was numbing of the mouth and back of throat, nothing more which is disappointing. I'll give it one last go and see what happens.

I tried it again, let it soak for ages and was kneading it like a loaf of bread.... still nothing. Maybe it is just a bad batch or just not fresh enough. The only thing i experienced was numbing of the mouth and back of throat, nothing more which is disappointing. I'll give it one last go and see what happens.

did you try and get up to walk around? i never notice it until i start to stumble around the place with a goofy grin :)

but i use milk, instead of water. milk + milo + kava = yum.

I've been drinking tongan kava lately is definitley stronger than the fijian stuff.

I mix a desert spoon with half a cup of milk, a quarter of a cup of pineapple juice and a quarter of a cup of water. Tastes delicious and works pretty well. Even knocks me out after a night of heavy partying.

i'll be getting some tongan kava pretty soon, what's a good dose for a first timer? and does it mix well with other stuff (mj, nitrous) ?

I will just have to wait a few years till my own kava plants have grown. I'm sure they will be alot more potent. They are the black variety. I think i was reading the black variety is one of the most potent.