The Corroboree
Green Osiris

Growing Morning Glory - a Question

I stumbled across a flowering vine that I think may be ipomoea violacea, but it was a little dark and I was in a hurry to catch my train - so I'm going back down to take another look in the next week or so, and get a better ID. (I dont have a camera, so no pics can be posted, regrettably).

Can anyone tell me if impomoea can be rooted from a cutting with success, or if it may be a better option to wait for some seed pods to appear - or even rip up some of it from its current locale, roots & all, then transplant into a pot?

BTW it's on public property.

It's more than likely, Ipomoea purpurea, or Ipomoea indica, as they both grow as weeds throughout Australia.

Check if it has 'hairy' stems. If so, then it isn't Ipomoea Violacea.

Ipomoea indica doesn't seem to set seed in Australia, but Ipomoea purpurea does.

Is it in flower yet?

If it is in flower, start looking for seed-pods in about 2 weeks. Then keep checking it weekly until you have some luck.

The shape of the seed-pods is also a good indicator of species, but I struggle to describe the difference, without using my hands to talk. :lol:

Can you get some photo's?

I have 4 different Ipomoea species growing in my yard at the moment, I could compare them....

edit: I didn't even answer the question. Duh. :blink:

These things are essentially a weed, an invasive weed in some areas. So, cuttings should take, seeds should germinate easily, just taking a memory away with you is likely to spread this plant! Seriously, they are dead-easy to grow. Try taking a cutting, but I think growing Ipomoea's from seed is the better way to go.

I grew mg once...dad found out about the content of the plant so he killed it....a few months later and some good hard rain has me checking the spot every afternoon for the past 3weeks constantly ripping out the little buggers...dont grow it unless your prepared to do alot of weeding :wink:

Yup, it's flowering now. Or it was a week and a half ago, so I'll keep my eye on it for seed pods.

Cheers also for the ID tips, I have alredy made a mental checklist on aspects to look out for (hairy stems, capsule shape, leaf shape, flower composition/colour etc) based on the discussions found in previous threads.

QUOTE: "just taking a memory away with you is likely to spread this plant!"

Not sure what you mean.... should I rip the thing out after Ive exploited it for my own selfish desires (hmm, Im sounding like GW Bush!) in order to contain the spread in the area ? If it's psychoactive, maybe I should share the love even further, and scatter some extra seeds around the suburbs - that is if it sets.

Although guerrilla gardening a weed doesn't sit comfortably with me, as I don't understand the potential havoc it may cause in future times.

QUOTE RE: PODS "but I struggle to describe the difference, without using my hands to talk"

Bet you tried to when responding :lol:

You'll have no problems with cuttings at all.

I recently found an interesting white non-seeding MG growing near the creek here and I pinched off some new growth with my fingernails, carried them home and stuck them in a jar of water and sphag-moss.

Checked them today and they're already intertwining with each other :)

I also picked up some other vine seeds recently-one called 'noah' which is an orange mg,chiliean glory vine and carolina moonvine all of which I planted this week so will share seeds when they start producing. B)

GO - look at the leaf shape for me please. ive seen a species that grows all long NSW,SA and parts of norther Vic all long the train lines. ive seen the real deal but there is one that has leaves that are not that of morning glory.but the seed pods, flowers and such are remanicant of MG

Who you asking Amulte?

I've seen two distinct leaf shapes for MG's one is like a spade(cards)and the other like a pigs hoof.

GO = Green Osiris. and im not even talking the 'pigs hoof'. ill dig up a pic next i see em and have a camera.

they grow feral along the train lines.

I can recall saying it wasnt a pigs hoof leaf which is what your showing me?

no thats not it, leaves are different. it has a minimum of 7-9 points on the leaf, each point is and individual finger of leaf all attached to the one leaf.

ok think of MJ leaf, now get two and melt them together.

same flower as your pics and same colour. still a vine, but absolutely different leaves. seed pods are still the same.

ill get some picks and post em up, youll see what i mean.

interesting...sounds like your describing passionflower leaves.

accually they are an almost spot on description

..... and im not even talking the 'pigs hoof'. ill dig up a pic next i see em and have a camera.

Not cockney slang, then ?

Haven't been down there to check on the MG, been too psychologically wasted 24/7 over the last few weeks. Maybe this weekend. But I remember them (the leaves) being more heart-shaped than swine-print.

It’s funny I was going to put up a thread similar to this one. All along my train line in Melbourne (Epping) is something that looks to me like a morning glory, I’ll have to put up a photo once I take one. The plant I’m seeing has predominantly purple with a tinge of blue flowers. I haven't gotten right up close to have a look at one yet.

Does anyone know of the plant I’m talking about? It seems to be everywhere.

My local imp is exactly like that shown in the thread Jack posted above http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...1&st=&p=entry Flower colour, leaf shape, stems, etch identical.

So, indica it is (based on T's comments on the above thread). Any psychoactive properties comparable to that of the violacea - either in the seeds/leaves/flowers ?

NOT that I'm planning on ingesting, Im not partucularly desperate for cheap, unreliable experiences simply because the material readily exists. However it might be a nice addition to the 'cosmic garden' as a controlled ornamental. CONTROLLED being the operative word, as it clearly has the propensity to take over.

Does anyone travel along the Werribee line? I think there may be some between Footscray and Spotswood, can anyone confirm this? I will try and get a pic in the next couple of weeks.

it has a minimum of 7-9 points on the leaf, each point is and individual finger of leaf all attached to the one leaf.

ok think of MJ leaf, now get two and melt them together.

Amulte - These are 2 poor quality mobile phone pics of a very similar looking plant, but the leaves only have 5 points, not 7-9. Same flower and everything, can't recall if the stem was hairy or not. They were taken in quite a remote town in SA, only like one road and I'd say not very much rain... and the plant seems quite happy. I went and had a look at another type of Imp. quite close to this and my aunty from behind me says, "You stay away from that! I know what's in it!" LOLz although i think it was a purpurea.

post-747-1135352562_thumb.jpg

post-747-1135352587_thumb.jpg

The wild one is most likely I.cairica.

Yes you can rooted Ipomea's aswell from seed and also from cuttings I have a lot of different specie's of the Ipomea and I take cutting as well seed , by a cutting you will have a haed start in growing it takes astabel soiltemp of 20c to let it root.

ferenc

I was able to take some pictures today, so here they are:

close16gd.th.jpg

bunch11ix.th.jpg

rowmg11vl.th.jpg

Can anyone help identify these for me, thanks.

That stuff is EVERYWHERE throughout Melbourne, all along every train line, in parks, and on peoples fences. I have been told by people on this site that this is I. purpurea. It's also similar to I. indica, but I'm no expert.

-Zac

Amulte - These are 2 poor quality mobile phone pics of a very similar looking plant, but the leaves only have 5 points, not 7-9...

Thats almost it! still got no pic. ill have to drag out danemacca with his digi cam after the camping trip.

chriscore - that almost looks like I. violacea to me. it loves the train lines here in mid centrl NSW too.

EDIT - it does look like I. purpurea too, didnt see your post BZ :blink: :D