The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

The BLOG feature

Blogs ..... you either hate them or you love them. I haven't made up my mind yet.

However, for the purpose of this site please discard your preconceptions about blogs and think back to the root of the term: weblog.

The reason I installed this feature is not so we can keep track of CS's sordid sex and drug life :P , but rather to enable members to create permanent records of certain events, processes and situations.

Things to put in blogs would be:

Trade List

Grow logs

Methods - pictorials

Artwork (eg personal gallery)

Research projects

Field trips

Obviously you can put in your blog what you want (non-incriminating!!), but the popularity of your blog will very much depend on how relevant your contributions is to others.

Each blog appears to have a block function that should allow the creation of different topics within the blog. I haven't worked this out yet, so please start experimenting. eg, you could maintain a mushroom grow log as well as a research project in the same blog. I don't think any user can have more than one blog though.

Good stuff I like it.

Have only had a quick play but one thing that came up was if someone does a growlog can you get better resolution for the pics? 'cause they look a lot smaller in the blog.

the pics are set to 100x100px for the thumbnails and I think I will leave it at that size (larger pics should be clickable from the thumb).

I think the reason why the pic in your blog is so crap is because you uploaded a thumbnail rather than the full size pic. This is the link for the image you uploaded - which as 'th' in the filename :P

http://photobucket.com/albums/v335/mescali..._Fly_Agaric.jpg

Very nice Apo, good idea including the links in your sig.

Thanks for sharing too! :D

Excellent idea. I am going to try and merge this topic with the pinned Blog topic so that it can inspire others.

Oh right sorry, didn't know of this thread ;)

Yeah I think everyone who can should try and put a trade list in their sig, that'd be fuckin awesome, you could search the blogs looking for what you want!

Hmmm just tested it and it appears the blog search doesn't work :(

Error:

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: blog_search in /home/shaman/public_html/forum/modules/mod_blog.php on line 251

Owned :(

Uh I'm at uni right now, so using IE to check the forums, notice that IE slices off the right hand side of images that don't fit in the box.

Fine I guess, as long as someone can tell me how to use imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835 tags to resize the buggers.

So yeah, if you're using IE then you probably missed some of my garden :P

Owned

Pwned, do you mean? :P

And you call yourself |_33+ :rolleyes:

Isn't the img tags just (img src="blah" height="x" width="y")?

I haven't done HTML in years, I'm a bit rusty...

Test image

Yeah in the blog there is no "File Attachments" so you cant have thumbnails (i.e. there is no "Add into Post")and I don't think imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835 supports height and width attributes :(

EDIT: Yah benz, but I prefer using the local markup, which is in this case the forums default BB code.

If possible, I'd prefer thumbnails (for easier viewing by dialup users) but if nothing comes, I'll just switch from imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835 to >img>

EDIT: Uh looks like the HTML img tags don't work at all. :(

I am trying to work out a way to deal with this. For security reasons it is recommended to keep html turned off for the forums, blogs and gallery, so that's why html tags won't work.

Member albums make maintenance extremely messy, so I prefer to keep them closed too.

So the best option I can see is to upload a pic to the gallery. The gallery then produces a thumbnail and the larger pic. You can use the URL of the thumb to post into the blog and link it to the full size pic in the gallery. Sorry, not ideal, but the best I can come up with at this point.

Error:

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: blog_search in /home/shaman/public_html/forum/modules/mod_blog.php on line 251

Owned :(

Just a reminder of something to look at if you get bored :bootyshake:

thanks, I had actually forgotten.

<.>

>.>

Forgot again huh? :P:bootyshake:

apparently this has been fixed in an upgrade. I have not dared to do the upgrade yet :blush:

:unsure:

:bootyshake:

:P

hmmm, I did the upgrade.....

but I think there is another one out now.