The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
matty

peyote eating caterpillar

the very first night i received my peyote i put him in a safe spot outside. in the morning was very upset to discover he had been attacked! :(:(:( i have inspected the wounds and beleive a caterpilla is the culprit.

do bugs get affected by halucinagenic plants like we do ? :rolleyes:

Id like to spend a day as a peyote muchin caterpillar...

Think of all the crazy adventures you could have. :D

PS. Sorry to hear about your cactus...

[ 21. November 2004, 14:38: Message edited by: philistine ]

no insects are very very different from mammals... thats why insect sprays and the like dont kill us... but kill bugs (not to say they are good for us tho)

dont forget drugs like those found in peyote effect neurotransmitters... usually of more complex processes that a caterpilla probably doesnt have

like feeling happy and sad fox example

:)

although when it was legal my salvia got attacked by a bunch of snails... which were dead all around it

heh heh

Guest electro

yea.. something ate the growing tip of one of my pedros and ate a 1cm cube out of my peyote ..

stupid slugs & catiepillerz

other than laying bait i dont know what else to do so i cant offer any advice .. sorry

if you put a ring of sawdust around your plants that should protect them.... they dont like to cross it because it dries them out too much

maybee it could be birds??I had to cover my lophs with bird wire as small sparrows and the like persisted in uprooting them,they took little chunks out but obviously didnt approve of the tasete or effects????? and left them uprooted in my pots minus some small potions.

make that 'portions' doh

hey look guys, im just an innocent cactus caterpillar gettin about doin his thing.... :D

Thanks for the imput guys, the loph is in rehabilitation and hers doing much better!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

As for the Catterpillar, he better not come back for more or I'l make him eat the whole thing, and my acacia!

Mmmm…

Grab the offender and chuck it in some good tequila, fore the authentic experience.

:wink:

Mmmm…

Grab the offender and chuck it in some good tequila, fore the authentic experience.

:wink:

so whats the real story with the tequila worm? did it originate from a mescal cactus?

All I know is: good Tequila does not have the worm in it, I think that is really something that has only been added in recent years, to cash in on Tequila's infamy.

I'm told that good brands of Tequila are just bottle's of liquid. They don't feature any creepy-crawlies.

I'm not sure the snail/slug would carry the alkaloids, and even if they did imagine the number of plants in the collection that would have to be eaten by such a large number of caterpillars. And then imagine the number of caterpillars you would have to eat. Yuk!

A relative of mine, who I past a T. huanucoensis, had a slug eat a straight hole from one side to the other, a good 3 inches. The plant is doing fine by the way. Rot doesn't seem to set in due to the slime that is left on the exposed flesh. It acts as some sort of anti-fungal/bacterial agent.

The larvae (of which sort I am uncertain - not a worm) is in tequila for the sole purpose of showing that the grade of tequila is good. If the larvae rots then it's poor tequila. Should it stay preserved it is good tequila. It doesn't absorb the alcohol to any significant degree.

~Michael~

Yah Benz, as far as I know (probably need to check wikipedia) tequila worms are just a marketing scam perpetrated in the 50's by some US companies.

i've heard (can't remember were) that in Peru there is a type of snail that is heavily saturated with mescaline. What i read was that it's food source was Trich's, and that as a predator defense it had special pockets near it's skin which it would fill with the bitter stuff so as to be unpallatable. I also read that some peoople beleive indiginous people to have worshipped or eaten the snails as a sacrament, can anyone corroborate this?

I believe that this was also referenced in one of Ott's books

It's likely to be one of the native american snails vs the invasive french snails

that were imported into the americas to satisfy french ex patriots [belch].

Secondly, "The Worm" or mescal worm is not a worm but a caterpillar or grub

there's always been a bit of confusion rising from mescal bean (red bean cult/ Sophora Secundiflora),

mescal buttons (peyote) and Mescal (distilled drink). This was the result of pre turn of the century (victorian)

over generalization and sloppy work on part of the english speaking american researchers and officials.

further re-enforced in modern times by the proper name of Mescaline for the main active in Peyote.

(ref source. "Peyote Religion" by Omer C Stewart)

The wiki entry sates that proper Tequila is not allowed to contain the insects (Nor should it have any to begin with IMHO).

"Mescal" denotes the distilled drink although it may be produced by the same succulent agave species.

Mescal is generally "cheap" and both the reasons for the denoting strength are accurate as well as a modern gimic for sales.

lastly the problem with your cacti is with a snail or slug

it may return in a few days time, best to lay down some bait vs them eating holes into your plant.

check under the pot in the drain holes for them to hiding in.

The larvae (of which sort I am uncertain - not a worm) is in tequila for the sole purpose of showing that the grade of tequila is good. If the larvae rots then it's poor tequila. Should it stay preserved it is good tequila. It doesn't absorb the alcohol to any significant degree.

~Michael~

Also something about how the larvae proved that the alcohol came from fermenting the correct plant, not just sugar cane, as the grub ate the plant of question. And yes I have never seen a “worm” in Tequila only in Mescal. Wasn’t really being serious…but I bet the caterpillar would prefer to die happy than of bug poison (on no there I go again) :rolleyes: .