Philocacti

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Climate or location:Sub-desert

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

POPULAR

I've known this guy through his generosity.

A year ago I asked this guy if he has a huanucoensis cutting. He said yes and before he sent it, he asked me if there's something else on my wish list, as he knows that where I live there are no Trichocereus available. I've always wanted a PC cutting (I find it very attractive). He sent me a cutting of each. However, both of them weighted 3.something kg. And what was really a bummer is that at that time, the government here started applying the laws that were "dormant"  for as long as I know.

The cuttings got confiscated and I tried my best to get them out. I even payed bribes every other day to get into a restricted area in the airport to try to convince the official that was responsible for not letting the package pass. Long story short, after a month trying to get it out. I even got a copy of the law that says I can have the package since it contains less than 10 cuttings the official told me that whatever I do, it will get destroyed, he won't even let me extend it back. I got really mad Before I left his office I told him that I'll have these cacti, maybe not these but the same genetics either way.

So last month a friend went to the states and I contacted this generous guy. He sent my friend a big fat PC with a flower bud and 3 1 year old open pollinated huanucoensis seedlings.

I picked them up a few days ago. I found the flower bud fell off cuz of the trip but another one is forming and it seems like 3 more areols are showing some fuzz.

I usually don't write long posts but I'm really amazed with such generosity.

Thank you Zelly. :)
I really appreciate all what you done so I can get these.

Attached File  _20150603_055250.JPG   146.37KB   0 downloads

Attached File  _20150604_091528.JPG   136.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  _20150603_070516.JPG   108.11KB   0 downloads
  • Fenris, Evil Genius, mutant and 15 others like this

#2 BigHeart13

BigHeart13

Day Tripper

• Members2
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Climate or location:PNW

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

Loved reading this story :)  I also find PC pachanoi to be quite attractive and feel they get too much negative attention considering how hardy and fast growing they are they more than make up for their shortcomings in some areas.

• mutant likes this

#3 Philocacti

Philocacti

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

Thanks man,

Yeah to each his own but most of who give it a negative review are probably following some hype or they're searching for something specific.

Just like you, I find it a very attractive Trichocereus but I still haven't tried growing it yet and I don't know if it'll do well in my environment ;)

#4 Philocacti

Philocacti

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:59 AM

Once it put this stump in the sun it started growing and it still haven't rooted yet.

Attached File  _20150612_205608.JPG   123.53KB   0 downloads

#5 M S Smith

M S Smith

Cactiphile Extraordinaire

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Take a wild guess.
  • Climate or location:flickr.com/msscacti

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

Loved reading this story :)  I also find PC pachanoi to be quite attractive and feel they get too much negative attention considering how hardy and fast growing they are they more than make up for their shortcomings in some areas.

Yeah, the PC is hardy as hell, which is the reason it has been spread so widely in the American southwest.  Far more hardy in extremely hot temps than proper T. pachanoi.

I don't dislike the PC, and my own personal feelings towards it are not due to any presumed shortcomings, but rather that it was the first in my collection and has become overly familiar and is a bit on the plain side of things relatively speaking.

~Michael~

#6 Philocacti

Philocacti

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

I covered the 3 seedlings with thick paper towels to introduce them to the intense sun here, but after 2 weeks I noticed they're very squishy.

I uprooted them to find one was rotting from the roots and the other 2 were fine. I made 2 grafts from the one that had its roots gone to rot and the other 2 I placed them in this container and added tap water and in a place that gets 2 hours of morning sun. I still don't know if both grafts took or not but they're looking good until now.

These 2 seedlings are still squishy but they're showing new growth so it's a good sign.

Attached File  _20150620_120705.JPG   150.61KB   0 downloads

What's really amazing is that zelly's 1 year old seedlings are the same size as my 2 year old seedlings :0

#7 Philocacti

Philocacti

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

The 2 grafts took

Here's one that looks all shrunken, should pump up in the coming days

Attached File  _20150623_215824.JPG   199.89KB   0 downloads

#8 mutant

mutant

multi-talented MF

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts
  • Interests:a lot
  • Climate or location:mediterranean

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:24 AM

cacti people: a special kind of people, somewhat eccentric, but certainly people that are not afraid of a couple spikings. Fine people.

PC is awesome for grafting but not especially handsoce compared to other pachanoids

• bogfrog likes this
He stole from me because he was afraid I was not gonna be generous enough.

#9 incognito

incognito

Goober

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with my mum,
    Walking my dog,
    Watching sunsets and sunrises,
    Playing with Hillbilly,
    Meeting sweet people who restore my faith in humanity :)
  • Climate or location:Central West Nsw

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the grafter :)
"What the thinker thinks, the prover proves." - RAW

#10 Mrcuriouscacti

Mrcuriouscacti

Day Tripper

• Members2
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Climate or location:Southern USA

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the post Philocacti!

I am fairly new here, but I've met some really awesome and generous people here so far. In all honesty, I had lost a good amount of faith in humanity b/c most people I meet in life seem very self centered. The people that I speak of would never think to give away or even pay money to gift something to a stranger. Kindness and generosity seem to be quite common with cacti folks and it has changed my perception of people as a whole.

I suppose I just wanted to say that it's really awesome to know there are good people out there in the world, and even better that I'm getting to know some of them. Zelly has been super nice to me, as well as just about everyone else that I've met that grows cacti. Here's a big ol cheers to everyone on here and I hope to get to know some of you better.

:)

• mutant, interbeing and pimento like this

#11 mutant

mutant

multi-talented MF

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts
  • Interests:a lot
  • Climate or location:mediterranean

Posted Today, 01:59 AM

welcome to the forums mate, this is a cactalicious forum to be!

He stole from me because he was afraid I was not gonna be generous enough.