The Corroboree
Dreamwalker.

eaten wattle gum or seeds?

the bark of acacia concurrens containing cyanide glucosides or some such is of interest. i do make infusion of that plant here and there. i concider it a powerfull medicine. so powerfull in fact, it is never seen as a "first line defence". i have not yet (thank gods) had a bad cyanide related reaction. it remains a tree of great medicinal value to me. can anyone confirm (through their own work / research this tree does in fact contain cyanide?) i have even decocted about 7 grams and drunk it. was noticed it may harm gut flora in that dose. now use les than 50mg bark to half cup water as medicine.

• Like 2

pick the lighter coloured gum dreamwalker :wink:

Darker, oxidised material doesn't dissolve as well. Trick is roll it on the tongue and suck it, rather than chew into it.

If/when it gets stuck up on the palate can freak some folk out......*laughing to myself at the look on some

folks faces when experiencing the sensation the first time.

you might also find this interesting as well:

http://acaciatreeproject.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Wattle-We-Eat-For-Dinner.pdf

Proceedings of the Wattle We Eat
for Dinner Workshop on Australian
Acacias for Food Security.
Alice Springs, Australia, 16–18 August 2011
  • Like 3

can also add that the frass (chewed up wood/shit) from the "wattle grub" down these parts was a useful tinder for fire (mostly A.dealbata but also A.verticillata and A.mearnsii).

The grubs also good eating raw (poke them in backwards or bite head off when live), or cooked if squeamish...lol...they "set" a bit like a cooked egg when cooked . Boiling is a good way for the squeamish to tackle them.

Grubs are getting harder to find as they are a popular and expensive fishing bait, and many do not know how to cut then out without killing the tree. It guts me to walk through an area to see a heap of dead/dying trees from someone going off with an axe, I use to make pocket money as a kid harvesting them for bait.

• Like 2

Wire hook gets em out safely, thos sometimes they tear in half if ur too anxious....

• Like 2

This is the brand that ive used in cooking before. It says they use acacia aneura or mulga. Upon further inspection it says on wiki they used to make seed cakes from these. http://www.herbies.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=10087&cat=6&page=6

Edited by Laila
  • Like 3