Auxin

Ferkin' Yank

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • Interests:sparkly things
  • Climate or location:USDA Zone 7a - Arid

Posted Today, 03:36 AM

Why is such an unsophisticated, almost infantile, search engine the dominant one?

Search for a string of words and it'll return tons of results missing the most important search term. No way to say 'all terms, damnit' or specify priority.

It ignores characters. When I say 90° I damn well mean 90°, if I say 90% no you can not remove the %!

It also changes words. If I say 'machine' I usually dont mean machinery or machining or machinations or macadamias or mangosteens, I mean machine!

Is there any search engine that will actually search for what you enter? Perhaps with function modifiers, like a + for 'you damn well better include this' or a # for 'ok, you can include purported synonyms on this word'.

• Evil Genius and paradox like this

#2 DiscoStu

DiscoStu

Jealous God

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Climate or location:temperate

Posted Today, 05:50 AM

include the search term in quotation ("") marks and it'll search exactly

What’s remarkable is that atoms have assembled into entities which are somehow able to ponder their origins.

#3 Auxin

Auxin

Ferkin' Yank

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • Interests:sparkly things
  • Climate or location:USDA Zone 7a - Arid

Posted Today, 07:04 AM

...well what the hell, I just tried quotations on individual words and special characters and that works properly now. Thanks for that.

Is there at least a list of google search options and how they work (better than what google provides) and directory of special google things like google scholar (which is almost impossible to stumble into unless you know its name)? The default google gateways really dont give much in terms of options.