#226 Etho

Etho

Psychonaut

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Climate or location:Temperate

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

Currently waiting on autumn rain for results, my region is hot and dry and harbours no native cubes, hoping for fruits early & late winter,

this is a privately owned paddock,

It seems to be a common way of operating in the states, 'Mycelium Running - Paul Stamets' is a great read for people wanting to spread mycelium,

• Schoey88 likes this

#227 seekingmeaning

seekingmeaning

Day Tripper

• Members2
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Climate or location:Tropic Qld

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

I was surprised to see some very baby shrooms in the cowshit in my garden this morning. I think they are the wrong variety but meh who cares.

My front yard has sprung up with a few dozen patches of different shrooms, I'm not sure on the species though. Don't wanna eat anything that contains death  :rolleyes:  

I'll be heading out in the morning to go for a pick, I'm lucky that I've found some paddocks only 20 minutes drive which are very secluded and harbor a lot of psychedelia.

The first time I went out I found 3 giant (like fucking huge) Cubes they weighed in at 186grams together fresh, I dried them out and I was left with 12grams dry. One dried out to 5.5 grams by itself which I still have haha.

I think I like going out and picking them and taking photos more than I like eating them haha. I want to try some fresh ones though, I've always dried mine out. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.  :lol:

#228 Responsible Choice

Responsible Choice

Cultivating the root

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness. BD gardening. Qi Gong & Tai Chi Chaun. Meditation. Drug law reform. Mycelium. Mantra and Kirtan.
  • Climate or location:The Void

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

If you know where to go you will find as many pans as you want to 'look' at...

They seem to be more prolific on flatter pastures than on those that are sloped, and on the slopes they seem to like it a bit higher up :huh:

Also they luurrv the shade of camphors :wink:

• Schoey88 likes this

:shroomer: Mushrooms are not medicine. Mushrooms are magic - Kilindi Iyi :shroomer:

Ever wonder why alcohol is legal in Australia and cannabis isn't? Me too! www.responsiblechoice.com.au :wink:

#229 seekingmeaning

seekingmeaning

Day Tripper

• Members2
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

It was nice walking around the paddock this morning, I think I find heaps of pans but I'm not confident in ID
bugger all cubes out unfortunately. 

20160206 092019
20160206 091134
20160206 083340
20160206 103351
20160206 094213

• Responsible Choice likes this

#230 Responsible Choice

Responsible Choice

Cultivating the root

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Consciousness. BD gardening. Qi Gong & Tai Chi Chaun. Meditation. Drug law reform. Mycelium. Mantra and Kirtan.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

They look the goods to me, but you've got a few cubes in that last pic though :wink:

• seekingmeaning likes this

:shroomer: Mushrooms are not medicine. Mushrooms are magic - Kilindi Iyi :shroomer:

Ever wonder why alcohol is legal in Australia and cannabis isn't? Me too! www.responsiblechoice.com.au :wink:

#231 seekingmeaning

seekingmeaning

Day Tripper

• Members2
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

Yeah they are they only ones I'm confident in grabbing Responsible Choice, I've only just started picking in the last 3 months haha, probably could have grabbed much more if I actually had some experience.  :lol: 

Currently doing my own internal debate (do this every time :wacko: )as to weather or not I should eat them. I usually overthink it way too much and bitch out haha

EDIT: Is that skinny little white one on top a pan or is it a cube also? (the one I'm taking a print of)

Edited by seekingmeaning, 06 February 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#232 Responsible Choice

Responsible Choice

Cultivating the root

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

In my opinion photos 3, 4 and 5 are of panaelous cyansecens aka copelandia cyanescens, pans, cyans, blue meanies. Black spore print and the stereotypical presentation are the sealer for me. The printed one looks like a mature one that has begun to degrade. The fresh ones look like mature ones that have just dropped their spores over the last 1 - 2 days, depending on exposure to full sun.

Pics 1, 2 and 4 look like they are mainly cubes (hard to tell without being able to magnify them, even then...) with a fews pans smattered around. Check out this post (about half way down the page at least) I made a while back to help confirm by comparing my descriptions of the environs and conditions that are IME conducive to finding them:

http://www.shaman-au...ic=38029&page=3

A couple of basic rules of thumb when trying to figure if it's a cube or pan (aside from obvious colour characteristics):

- Does it have a veil? Yes = cube, no = pan

- Does it have a thick stipe/stem compared to the cap? If it's a 70:30 cap:stem it's a pan. If it's a 60:40 to 50:50 it's more likely a cube.

- Does it bruise blue green or navy/inky blue? Blue green = cube, inky blue = pan.

They both can have just a hint of gold at the top/umbo, and I've seen quite few pans that would give cubes a run in the ID stakes, but with these further criteria you should be right. Cyans will usually fruit much earlier as well. :wink:

BTW if you can, snap them off at the base and leave the mycellium in the ground to encourage further fruiting.

Edited by Responsible Choice, 06 February 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#233 seekingmeaning

seekingmeaning

Day Tripper

• Members2
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

In my opinion photos 3, 4 and 5 are of panaelous cyansecens aka copelandia cyanescens, pans, cyans, blue meanies. Black spore print and the stereotypical presentation are the sealer for me. The printed one looks like a mature one that has begun to degrade. The fresh ones look like mature ones that have just dropped their spores over the last 1 - 2 days, depending on exposure to full sun.

Pics 1, 2 and 4 look like they are mainly cubes (hard to tell without being able to magnify them, even then...) with a fews pans smattered around. Check out this post (about half way down the page at least) I made a while back to help confirm by comparing my descriptions of the environs and conditions that are IME conducive to finding them:

http://www.shaman-au...ic=38029&page=3

A couple of basic rules of thumb when trying to figure if it's a cube or pan (aside from obvious colour characteristics):

- Does it have a veil? Yes = cube, no = pan

- Does it have a thick stipe/stem compared to the cap? If it's a 70:30 cap:stem it's a pan. If it's a 60:40 to 50:50 it's more likely a cube.

- Does it bruise blue green or navy/inky blue? Blue green = cube, inky blue = pan.

They both can have just a hint of gold at the top/umbo, and I've seen quite few pans that would give cubes a run in the ID stakes, but with these further criteria you should be right. Cyans will usually fruit much earlier as well. :wink:

BTW if you can, snap them off at the base and leave the mycellium in the ground to encourage further fruiting.

Awesome info, thanks mate, I will definitely be snapping them at the stem now. I probably saw a few hundred pans without realizing it then. At least I know for next time I go out.

I hear they are a bit more of a smoother journey so I am really interested to find out what they are like.

20160207 081832
20160207 081826
20160207 082108

These popped up in the garden overnight. Hopefully it's the start if many to come. :lol:

Edit, The first 2 pics in my other post are just random patches of mushrooms(probably some uneatable maybe?), I saw probably close to 20 different species of mushroom in that paddock.

Edited by seekingmeaning, 07 February 2016 - 09:32 AM.

• Responsible Choice and Schoey88 like this

#234 Responsible Choice

Responsible Choice

Cultivating the root

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

Not that I condone or necessarily practice the consumption of such mushrooms ( :rolleyes: ), but I feel it is pertinent to mention that pans are considered to be about 2 and a bit times more potent than cubes, generally.

Worth bearing in mind. :shroomer: