The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mud

Periwinkle (Vinca minor)

I went for one of my usual twilight walks.

The plants speak loudest to me on the edge. At the edge too. Where nature trails lead into sunset,

and divide suburbs from bushland.

My neck was bloody sore. Migraine style. Thumping headaches, twisted vision. X-rays showed the cause.

And nature showed the solution.

some random links and info:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Vinca_minor

http://www.aussiegar...ant/Vinca_minor

http://www.allrarehe...le,-Lesser.html

It's a cerebral stimulant. Sedative. Antispasmodic.

It helped me get my nerves right.. relaxed me..actually, 2 blooms and I knew i'd had enough. A bit of a knockout punch actually.

It's working to help restore signals between my brain and spine after some intensive chiropractic work. Kills some pain..and sets some things straight.

worth looking into. Quite common and enjoyable effects.

Edited by mud
  • Like 4

Did you just eat the flowers?

Have you ever pulled all the petals off and stripped it down to the beautiful little fairy wand in the centre of the flower? Something to behold.

• Like 1

Vinca minor has a great range of components:

Vincamine was found to be "psycho-activating"

Vinpocetine is a brain tonic and an antagonist at quisqualate / AMPA receptors (against dementia), an activator of Ca-channels and an inhibitor/activator on Na-channels (depends on dose) and PDE1-inhibitor.

Vincristin and Vinblastin are inhibitors of apoptosis and used against dementia. Vinblastin is also promising in HIV- infection

Quebrachamine (also found in Aspidosperma), Reserpine (Rauwolfia) and 12-dehydroaspidospermidine were also found

The compound intybin is a synonym for Lactucopicrine, a compound of lactucarium (endorphine enhancer and other actions)

It is used as analgesic, antibiotic, antibacterial, cardiotonic, hypotensive and brain tonic.

The dose should not be too high (a teaspoon to 10g of the dried herb).

my plants:

2lm4fua.jpg

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

Fairy wand hey? Cool.

Plenny of ppl tell me theyre 'honesuckle'. Or at least, that as kids they slurped the wand for a little nectar treat.

How cool.

Nootropic.

mindperformer, hi,

is 10g dried, fresh, tincture?

This is why I love this forum.

The wealth of information is incredibly.

I noticed these growing along my driveway a few weeks ago but didn't really think anything of it. Today, I noticed this thread and the pictures on wikipedia and such and I'm pretty certain this is what it is. I'll get some pictures up later for an ID :)

• Like 1

Hey!!! Our primary school was covered with that - I've sucked that sweet sweet nectar a million times! We always called them honeysuckles and I've tried to search for them before but 'honeysuckle' in the search engine comes up with anything but that plant... Thanks for the botanical name, i've been hunting it down for years. We used to strip the leaves off the vines and weave little rugs, tied kids up, and we even tried to tie enough together to make a rope swing... that failed but was fun anyway.

• Like 1

I have a Madagascar Periwinkle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharanthus_roseus (formerly Vinca roseus) in the garden (not my picture).

Catharanthus_roseus.jpg

I vaguely recall reading that it is active, but in a dangerous manner more akin to the tropanes (but not actually tropane).

Also, this is quoted in the article: Catharanthus lanceus contains up to 6% yohimbine in its leaves.

Sounds legit :D

• Like 1

Had a Tiphareth style moment today.

Went to a local flower festival. Trusted my feet..walked my walk..

and sat down by an awesome, huge pine. Looking up at it.. my spirit soared..

So I lay down and stretch my spine.. as my eyes climb..and my back lengthened..and my breath grew deeper and deeper,

I felt the urge to get up and walk behind myself. I did just that, and found a secret garden. In the middle of the middle..lol..

there was a circle of Oak, and a small clearing covered in periwinkle.

My 'first'..and and most recent (last) allies since truly giving over to the tree thing. To my 'me tree' thing.

"Alpha and Omega", my mind echoed as I sat eating salad in silence. While the hover flies looked like fairies in the broken light, I felt at centre in my self : )

and just because it somehow relates. Check out the face, in the violet part of the rainbow spectrum ; )

Holy wow coolness!

Majik is real!

post-7023-0-01696700-1349246997_thumb.jp

post-7023-0-76256400-1349247024_thumb.jp

post-7023-0-80182200-1349247058_thumb.jp

post-7023-0-01696700-1349246997_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-76256400-1349247024_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-80182200-1349247058_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-01696700-1349246997_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-76256400-1349247024_thumb.jpg

post-7023-0-80182200-1349247058_thumb.jpg

Edited by mud

I had a little taste test of these flowers today.

I came across a patch of periwinkle on my walk home, ate one flower, the first taste was lovely and sweet, became more bitter as i chewed.

I thought to myself i would only take one flower from this bush and if i came across another plant i would have one more.

After 20mins of walking, i see another and eat one more flower.

I feel very still, like a large body of water on a calm day, relaxed, thoughts flowing easily, also have a warm, indescribable expansive feeling in my chest :-)

• Like 3

We used to pick the flower off and suck the base of the flower - you get nice sweet burst of nectar. Haven't tried eating the flowers though...

it also causes destruction of blood components, because of this, the public health office cancelled the approval for it 1987