The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mindperformer

Entheogen Lotus- species and Nuphar lutea

Nymphaea caerulea, the blue lotus or Ninfa, is the psychoactive plant of the old egyptians. It has no really narcotic properties but rather neuroleptic and vitalizing actions. The flowers were pickled in wine. In egypt-collections (like the art-historic-museum KHM in vienna) you find a vast number of steles, reliefs and artifacts displaying lotus-flowers, together with other psychoactive plants like mandrake and poppy. The blue lotus is known to relieve pain, increase memory and circulation, promote sexual desire, create feelings of well-being, euphoria and ecstasy. The active alkaloid is Aporphine which acts as 5-HT1A partial agonist, 5-HT7-antagonist and a dopamine-D1/D2-antagonist, which explains its hypnotic, sedative, anti-spasmodic effect and opiate-like intoxication.

In China the use of pistils and seeds from the white lotus (Nymphaea lotus) as tea (in asia- stores) is a very famous tranquilizer, aphrodisiac and antidepressant.

Nymphaea caerulea- seed (24-fold enlarged):

25q4v46.jpg

Nymphaea caerulea- petal (24-times):

250r2ib.jpg

Nymphaea caerulea- petal (24-times with transmitted light):

1628nk.jpg

Nymphaea ampla, the Maya-Lotus held a similar importance to central american cultures as did the blue lotus to the egyptians. It is also found in meso-american art in association with jaguars and visionary scenes. It is a calming sedative and mild trance-inducer and possibly an additive to the inebriating balché-drink of the maya (see my Lonchocarpus- topic).

Nymphaea ampla- flowers (dried):

2epo5e0.jpg

Edited by mindperformer

Lotus is a funny thing. The first time I ever tried it I smoked the stamens and couldn't get the smile off my face. Everything felt as it should be in the world & I truly thought I had found a new favorite entheogen so I ordered an ounce of Nucifera stamens but could never replicate the feeling I got that first time. I really want to try the 100x extract but am a little worried about customs regulations. Does anyone here have any experience smoking lotus extracts??

I only macerated it in sweet white wine. Tastes delicious and works very balancing. A friend gave me a glass of vodka with the pure essential oil (very expensive). This was more than balancing and had a very sedative effect, but without tiredness.

The related Nuphar lutea is also very sedative. I was growing one in the pond of my parents:

The fruit:

15z2ii9.jpg

The flowers in alcohol:

2z7hbbq.jpg

a very concentrated elixir from the rootstock:

6p3pg0.jpg

The fragrance of the flower is really narcotic, the tincture from it too.

The traditionally used rootstock increases power to the sexual organs (but also called an anaphrodisiac), acts against digestive disorders and chronic diarrhoea, helps with sleep-problems and acts as a antimicrobial. It is trance-inducing.

The main constituent, a quinolizidine alkaloid, Nupharine has spasmolytic and antihypertensive actions. Desoxinupharidine has tonic and hypertensive effects.

It has also sulphur-containing molecules: Thionuphlutin-A, Thiobinupharidine and Neothiobinupharidine sulfoxide, among others

It also contains the piperidine alkaloid 3-Epinuphamine and Nuphamine, the furylquinolizidine Nupharolutine and steroids.

The flowers and leaves contain tocopheryl esters.

Dioskurides reported about the use in an ancient witch-cult in Thessalia.

I smoked the leaves and they are mild intoxicating, comparable to the blue lotus.

i wonder how one could make an alcohol free tincture of the blue lilly, maybe with glycerine?

one of the most under rated ethnos, and definately one of the most attractive. :)

this is an old pic.

gallery_70_2_725087.jpg

Edited by planthelper

I absolutely agree with you, its underestimated...

I'm looking for a good alcohol-alternative too ...glycerine may not be a good equivalent solvent, but for conservation it could be fine

somebody tried an oil-extraction of the finly grinded flowers?

the surface of a Nymphaea caerulea- flower petal, 24-fold:

...the yellow spots are pollen, I think

2v1uoad.jpg