The Corroboree
Dolos

The most dangerous drug in the world

The most dangerous drug in the world: 'Devil's Breath' chemical from Colombia can block free will, wipe memory and even kill

A hazardous drug that eliminates free will and can wipe the memory of its victims is currently being dealt on the streets of Colombia.

The drug is called scopolamine, but is colloquially known as ‘The Devil’s Breath,' and is derived from a particular type of tree common to South America.

Stories surrounding the drug are the stuff of urban legends, with some telling horror stories of how people were raped, forced to empty their bank accounts, and even coerced into giving up an organ.

• Scopolamine often blown into faces of victims or added to drinks

• Within minutes, victims are like 'zombies' - coherent, but with no free will

• Some victims report emptying bank accounts to robbers or helping them pillage own house

• Drug is made from borrachero tree, which is common in Colombia

More here...

http://www.dailymail...-free-will.html

I like this line myself...

In ancient times, the drug was given to the mistresses of dead Colombian leaders – they were told to enter their master’s grave, where they were buried alive.

Edited by Dolos

Yeah - I'd never heard Brugmansia (you wanna hear how they pronounce it!) called "Devil's Breath" before amongst its over 200 synonyms. (Rule of thumb ethnobots - generally the more names a herb has, the longer and more exclusively, it has been in human use)

The show is like one of those half warning/half promotion that western journalists take - taking a "moral" editorial stance in their media, yet see them sleazing around every rave, drugfuked and chatting up schoolies.

We are ALL well aware of the dangers of the Solanaceae tropanes I think on this forumwith some oldies actually experienced with their poisonous strain to use it carefully as medicine. (It is used to counter nausea)

Scopolamine or Hyoscine is an ancient "Mickey Finn".- and hence facilitates robberies, rapes, etc. and is reckless assault without regard for life. Self-administered as medicine, you become largely immune to the side-effects- but don't try it at home!. It's quicker and shorter lasting than atropine.

The "practise" has put a lot of curious kids in hospital. When Carlos Castaneda wrote "The Teachings of Don Juan" (a "must read" book, ethnobots) loads of wanna-be-shaman ended up there over datura. Hence you'll get no end of warnings about it!

(His books got pretty way-out - but - wonders of the internet - he sounds so lucid in this radio interview:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ihfeOpyTDc )

If you just got to try it, the safest, legal way, in Australia anyway, is to go to the Pharmacist where they'll be happy to sell you DonnaTab - the alkaloid profile of Belladonna "Deadly Nightshade" made by "Big Pharm". You see it is very important in the quest for knowledge that you take your "drug" in your social context. This would be the western experience - you can read the accompanying literature for doses. Even your pharmacist/shaman will be delighted to tell you the effects of abuse, and what that would be to your body weight.

A medico friend recently was amazed when I explained the atropine he used all the time, on patients, was the main active of Solanaceae. Back days, they extracted it from that source.

Of course for ruining a victim's recollection of a crime, nothing beats Lorazepam - another Big Pharm speciality!

Then again - get too cheeky and you can be held down and given a forced lobotomy - not much recollection there either!

Set of sunglasses for a week and sell you off to a brothel - or back to work at the Public Service.

Happens in Russia! Where they have "krokodile" now that is SHIT! And "Vice" do a good show on that!

Oddly they claim there "it's the world's most dangerous drug" too.

Keep Very Very Well! Friends!

• Like 1

yeh i posted a thread about this aswell after hearing an ABC all in the mind segment on it a year ago http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=28583 , if the podcast is up there's some pretty interesting stuff.

Edited by bulls on parade

I believe datura / brug extracts were employed by the " Thuggee " " cult " to incapacitate their victims , giving rise to the word " thug " in our language . More recently a villain in Asia , Charles Sobraj [ ? ] was also using it for similar purposes . Sobraj [? ] had quite a long reign of such crime , but was arrested several years ago .

I believe datura / brug extracts were employed by the " Thuggee " " cult " to incapacitate their victims , giving rise to the word " thug " in our language .

Kevin Rushby wrote a really good book on this subject, concluding that the notion of a mass 'thugee cult' in India was a beat up story so a particular officer in the British Army could get more funding and attention for his work. He covers a few other things as well. "Children of Kali" . Worth a read, as are his other books

http://www.kevinrushby.com/kali.php

• Like 1

This is really weird i was reading about this the other week then a few days later there was a law and order episode about it now this i swear this story is following me

• Like 1

Been used as "truth serum" since antiquity and compiments opiates well to confuse pain signals in child birth - extreme taumatic pain. Midwives got all sorts of confessions from mums! Ancients could use it as anaesthetic in trepanning. Psychology of pain/agony/trauma very complex, but they could tap in and control their patient.

I've strain Datura metel var Kali fatuosa - the blackest Datura you ever saw! Sacred to Kali, sampled from one of Her temples, it is the one recognised officially as pharmaceutical grade. Not in seed at the mo' Profiles complete scopolamine - probably used by Thugee as is THE Kali variety. Not just for victims, they smoked the flowers, hash, to counter the opium, tobacco. Hare Kali! Bom Shankar!

Flowers are spot on for smoking, they're bred for perfect cigars. Great in shisha! I'm making a shisha exculsively of flowers! Gonna call it Xochopilli!

Hey folk gotta go - internet playin up something fierce!

• Like 1

A colleague advises me that " beedies " [ Indian cigarettes made from a rolled - up leaf and tied with cotton ] are made from datura . Personally , I am sceptical of this claim . Can anyone confirm ? Tom

• Like 1

A colleague advises me that " beedies " [ Indian cigarettes made from a rolled - up leaf and tied with cotton ] are made from datura . Personally , I am sceptical of this claim . Can anyone confirm ? Tom

They're seldom made from Datura, but they often have Datura in them. So your friend is partly true.

My folks used to buy East German datura cigarettes in Poland. They were commercially manufactured cigarettes used to treat asthma and other lung ailments. I remember Planthelper mentioned that kids would make a tea from the cigarettes and go to "different places" (my quotes).

But yeah, wow. The internet's a-buzz with talk of Brugs and Datura as "new danger drugs" at the moment. What gives?

• Like 2

Not true - thanks for bringing it up. Bidi are homegrown tobacco wrapped in Tendu leaf - a relative of Ebony - and handmade by ma and pa sized producers.

Real Political Leaders instantly found out about the Global Tobacco Conspiracy run by the "Royal" Families and immediately after Revolution nationalised their industries.

Gandhi smashed Imperial Control of that addictive drug by giving it to the people - often making something more commonplace brings better control than prohibition. British wouldn't let Indians have cigarette making technology - including paper - but Ayurvedic medicine found Tendu leaf the flavorsome wrapper.

Smoking bidi, bidhi, etcc. (after a curry dinner) is your way of announcing to the world your love of India and your support of its domestic small market - and your libertine exhilarations in nicotine hits!

Smoked me first one watching Police Cadets parade - oh what a mistake! You know what Tendu smells like when it burns! I didn't know whether to continue smoking it or put it out - but I got some glares of their commanding officers!

Bidi tobacco is near hand reared, very good, very strong. Bidi's are great value - but a rare treat they are very harsh on the lungs. The tendu leaf creates a blow torch effect on the tobacco fill vaporising lots of nicotine quickly - hence the unique head spin. But it is just nicotine.

Any sadhu, especially aghori, devoted to Kali will of course be absolutely familiar with Her datura.

Smoking is one form of their use, many others, some secret - you are often warned do not consume anything they offer you to eat or drink for their use of it in fact.

Such will be presented hand rolled, wrapped in newspaper or corn husk.

Bidhi are totally different in construction.

(Watch! I stopped importing them when I copped a lot full of hookworm eggs!)

Edited by Pat Uri
  • Like 1

I friggen hate hysterical journalism like this. I was flooded with complaints about selling brugs the last few weeks. Dogooder mums that are worried about their children getting raped. Most of the idiots weren't aware just how common this genus is in australia as they assumed I was the only supplier and hence was the devil incarnate. Also, the fact that scopolamine is in hundreds of plant species [and various OTC medications] seemed to have completely escaped these numbnuts.

Pat Uri, Christian Raetsch spent a lot of time in india and writes extensively about the datura content of the bidies he smoked there. I have no first hand experience, but knowing Christian and his passion for smokables I doubt he got this wrong. Maybe it is a regional thing?

• Like 1

I friggen hate hysterical journalism like this. I was flooded with complaints about selling brugs the last few weeks. Dogooder mums that are worried about their children getting raped. Most of the idiots weren't aware just how common this genus is in australia as they assumed I was the only supplier and hence was the devil incarnate. Also, the fact that scopolamine is in hundreds of plant species [and various OTC medications] seemed to have completely escaped these numbnuts.

I'm sorry you have to deal with such misinformed people :(

I don't actually blame the people. I mostly blame the journalists. Not everyone can be expected to know all this stuff or to even be interested, but a journalist has an obligation to present a balanced story. yes, I know that's pie in the sky, but that doesn't mean it makes it right. I think one of the things we as a society need to focus on if we want to grow is the way we consume news. There are no more standards to uphold so everyone is outdoing each other in entertainment style news. This is corrosive.

• Like 2

According to the Vamana Purana, the thorn apple grew from the chest of the Hindu god Shiva, the lord of inebriants. In Garuda Purana, it is said that Datura flowers were offered to the god Yogashwara (a.k.a. Shiva), on the thirteenth day of the waxing moon in January. In Nepal the plant is considered sacred to Shiva. Thorn apple flowers and fruits are among the most important offering gifts of the Newari tribe of Nepal. At every puja, meaning an offering service or ceremony, Shiva is offered Datura fruits in order to please the god.

In Varanasi, Shiva’s sacred city, metel fruits and rose flowers are made into sacrificial ceremonial garlands for the lord of inebriation and sold to pilgrims, then left as offering at the entryways to his temples. These Datura chains are then devoutly placed around the lingam, the deity’s phallic-shaped image, as fresh flowers are tossed over the top of it. The lingam is normally placed in a yoni, the cosmic vulva. Fresh metel fruits are placed into it as offerings.

We were able to convince the guards at the Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Varanasi, that we were sincere in our wish to honour Lord Siva & gain access.

We offered those Datura chains to the jyotirlinga & were allowed to pour water from the Ganges over it.

I've smoked a ton ov bidis in India, but never come across any manufactured w/anything other than tobacco, though i have heard ov it.

The saddhu i once stayed w/said datura paste made from the seeds was especially useful for keeping out the cold, especially on the trek to see the Amarnath ice lingam.

Edited by nabraxas
  • Like 1

I should have clarified that the datura bidhi thing is not current, but rather soem time ago. I'd guess 80's at the latest. Raetsch talked about it in more traditional terms rather than current commercial ones.

Dogooder mums

Took me a few seconds to comprehend that one.lol.

:)