niggles

Plant Boy

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Climate or location:southern Victoria

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

http://permaculture....-nsw-australia/

What a super idea! I'd love to shop at a community supermarket.
  • Yawning Man, satyr and ∂an like this

#2 Psylo

Psylo

Permanently banned

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • Climate or location:NSW

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Great initiative and there should be more of it. Hope they can keep the pricing competitive.

Niggles, don't you have food Co-Ops in your city ? There are a few withing coo-ee of Sydney (Newtown, Katoomba, maybe Manly), and it works in a way that you pay a membership fee, do a little bit of work to chip in, or do a lot of volunteer hours and get a big discount. The products are ethically sourced and packaging considerations are paramount.

The only problem is limited buying power compared to the major supermarkets, so the items are often 3 times more expensive. Not a good situation when your clientelle are often students and new-gen hippies, But what else can they do ? They dont pay many salaries, and they aren't making profit..........

I was in driving all around the the Southern Highlands yesterday and stopped in at Picton, a small town of 3000 people. Despite this, they have a Coles AND an IGA, as well as a McDonalds. It made me so angry that the shire council would allow such developments, and forsaking the traditional community model of having bakery, butcher, greengrocer, cobbler & candlestick maker. The retail face of this country is a mirror image of the corporate USA model, and the impact is far-reaching to even the smallest of townships.
  • Yawning Man, vual and pete34 like this
Received Trades, Sales or Freebies from Psylo? - Leave some feedback in the Trading Rep subforum !

#3 ThunderIdeal

ThunderIdeal

like an unfinished analogy,

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts
  • Interests:wrangling this raging life-on
  • Climate or location:Brisbane

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

not even the USA, or anywhere that i'm aware of, has just two companies taking the lions share of grocery sales.

can't wait to visit mullumbimby, the shy sibling of byron :D
-just because replies haven't been thick n fast in the affirmative to your theorizing , doesn't necessaily mean no-one here cares or understands you , or even that they're asleep because they're not arguing your point the way you see the world and how each paradigm fits into that. I've read so many wondefully worded and DEEP shit on sab over the years, that it rivals published works in some cases.....bloody not as dry that's for shiz. Personally, i'd say, some people here know what you are saying, have probably explored the presented ideas in their own time previously but naturally, would rather, skip, run, twirl and dance to the beat of their own drum when it comes to these matters. So just because someone for example, does not want to fill in a space on your dance card, does not mean that you should stop airing your views for discussion. How many times does a thread metamorphosize like some organic creature flapping it's wings for the first time here in sabland.... and in the end -the seeker finds at the very least- some answers to their question. Alot of the time you need to knead that dough thoroughly before it's ready for the oven tin. -quote from etherealdrifter

#4 Chef's Foreskin

Chef's Foreskin

can't post, but can PM

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Cacti, Cacti and Cacti, Bush Doof's, Fishing, Self Sufficiency, Water Sports, Trail Bikes
  • Climate or location:Far North Coast

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

can't wait to visit mullumbimby, the shy sibling of byron :D

I gotta head down to Wanjina soon :) I love the Mullumbimby pub, awsome camping area's too!
Today's student can put dope in their veins or hope in their brains, If they can conceive it and believe it, They can achieve it. They must know it is not their aptitude but their attitude that will determine their altitude.

#5 Marcel

Marcel

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Poetry and Dance.
    Poetry and Dance.
  • Climate or location:Coastal Sydney

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Nice to see a photo of Mount Torsten there in the link :P

I don't know about your local co-op Psylo, but my local (Manly) is cheap as chips. You don't have to work there, but if you do, the discounts are even greater. Things like coffee and fruit and veg are more expensive than Coles, but rice and sugar and flour and lentils and basic foods are cheaper and better and all ethical and mostly organic.

Thanks for the link Niggles. Great story. But doesn't Mullum have a Woolies/Coles as well?

A bird does not sing because it has an answer.
It sings because it has a song.

#6 Chef's Foreskin

Chef's Foreskin

can't post, but can PM

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Cacti, Cacti and Cacti, Bush Doof's, Fishing, Self Sufficiency, Water Sports, Trail Bikes
  • Climate or location:Far North Coast

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Nice to see a photo of Mount Torsten there in the link :P

That's awsome! I didn't even notice it until you said that Marcel
Today's student can put dope in their veins or hope in their brains, If they can conceive it and believe it, They can achieve it. They must know it is not their aptitude but their attitude that will determine their altitude.