The Corroboree

I have this Toshiba Satellite Laptop which was given to me by me uncle. it just shuts down without warning, i tried plugging it in without the battery (which was not much of a help since it lasted for less than an hour) but the problem's still there.

What can I do? Is there something wrong with the laptop?

1. why is this in spirituality and philosophy

2. its ether a virus or hardware problems most probably a virus

God did it.

• Like 6

very interesting.

i have never thought about that before.

Bizzare

• Like 1

there notorious for over heating and shutting down, you could try running a laptop fan, i had one and summer months on hot days it would do this just switch off and die in the ass like it blew up, give it 5 mins and it would switch on again...

Edited by applesnail
  • Like 1

there notorious for over heating and shutting down, you could try running a laptop fan, i had one and summer months on hot days it would do this just switch off and die in the ass like it blew up, give it 5 mins and it would switch on again...

oh lol i should have thought of that as well as my computer used to do that all the time :P

The satelites also have a terrible glitch with the display driver crashing, i could never figure that out or fix it, but if yr not getting that message when it crashes then thats not yr problem...

the run on windows right? so if it was hardware he should get the blue screen of death otherwise its probably over heating or a virus

yeah thats what i got the blue screen of death and the display driver was never the same ...always crashing...like the first week i brought it brand new,,think it was caused by a windows update or some shit...yeah the one had was windows vista and found it ran better on windows 7

Edited by applesnail

aww man windows xp is still the best in my opinion lol... could you not just get the driver for it and reinstall it or even just roll back the driver?

i tried reinstalling drivers, but i was somewhat confused as to what was the specific driver to be installed, as i could never find on the toshiba site my specific model model of laptop,.. and when did install what assumed was the right driver it still crashed, im pretty sure there is a windows update that conflicts with it thus causing it, i use to know the number of the update and if you formatted and didnt install this specific update, it didnt crash, thus making wonder if the devil or the horned goat of pentagram fire and brimstone sulphur is really controlling the internet...since this is posted in spirituality...does beezlebub control the WWW or microsoft with there xbox mass droning? :scratchhead:Oh then i just realised toshiba satelites are shit there webcam sucks for lighting if trying to chat up pussy on skype and toshiba is much more suited as a microwave to heat a meat pie thus toshiba microwave has never failed!

Edited by applesnail

does windows have some sort of hardware test?

i'd say it's some sort of hardware, bad ram or cpu maybe. take it to a pc store and get them to check it over.

does windows have some sort of hardware test?

i'd say it's some sort of hardware, bad ram or cpu maybe. take it to a pc store and get them to check it over.

Windows is some sort of hardware test these days. It seems like it's been designed to waste as many system resources as possible.

The bios normally has a section that monitors the temp of the CPU and some programs can be used view the CPU temp and speed of the fan. I've never had much need for that sort of thing so I can't really suggest any software to use.

You can download a bootable image that you burn to a disk or make a bootable USB drive with to diagnose memory problems and all sorts of other problems. After you make your bootable disk/USB drive you set the bios to boot from that and then you can run all sorts of tests.

There are plenty around, The ultimate boot disk is one.

Unetbootin is a good little program that simplifies making a bootable USB drive.

its probably over heating or a virus

think it was caused by a windows update or some shit

windows is the perfect growing medium for many strains of virus, and may even be one itself.

but sounds like a hardware or tryptamine related intervention in electronics via an electrical surge or some shit.

• Like 1

Toshiba

Edited by Psylo Dread

Edit: I dont really see a problem with the help offered. Lets not forget this is a rather non descript problm posted in the Spirituality & Philosophy forum.

Edited by eatfoo

Toshiba

Edited by Psylo Dread

If he didn't have previous posts I woulda guessed this as spam lol.

I don't know why it's in the philosophy section either.

Follow advice - load the BIOS up and see if it's a got a diagnostic program. This does sound terribly like an overheating issue. If there is no diagnostic program in the BIOS then get out your Toshiba recovery CD (or download and burn it one the toshiba support page). The diagnostic may take a while.

Everything comes out okay??? Then follow the traditional windows procedure:

Reformat. Re-install windows. Backup regularly.

Repeat every 3-6 months.

• Like 1

If he didn't have previous posts I woulda guessed this as spam lol.

I don't know why it's in the philosophy section either.

Follow advice - load the BIOS up and see if it's a got a diagnostic program. This does sound terribly like an overheating issue. If there is no diagnostic program in the BIOS then get out your Toshiba recovery CD (or download and burn it one the toshiba support page). The diagnostic may take a while.

Everything comes out okay??? Then follow the traditional windows procedure:

Reformat. Re-install windows. Backup regularly.

Repeat every 3-6 months.

good advice :)

I would probably just reformat it and reinstall windows only problem would be you might not know what drivers you need

Or you could fuck windows off and install Linux, you won't be caught up in an endless cycle of worthless upgrades and all the other pitfalls of bloatware.

It really does sound like an overheating problem or a faulty memory module.

If the computer has been used in a dusty environment the CPU heatsink can get a lot of dust in its fins which greatly reduces the efficiency of the heatsink and will cause the machine turn off when it gets too hot.

Most times you can remove the back cover on a laptop and not void your warranty, so if you are getting high CPU temps it could be worth investigating.

Just take note of the length of the screws when you remove them, you don't want to screw a long screw into a hole where a short one came from or you could fuck something up.

• Like 1

Or you could fuck windows off and install Linux, you won't be caught up in an endless cycle of worthless upgrades and all the other pitfalls of bloatware.

or you could just get a mac :uzi::wave-finger:

• Like 1

or you could just get a mac :uzi::wave-finger:

Some people don't want a $2k Facebook machine :P

*Edit And/or have issues with the walled garden approach Apple takes.

Edited by at0m
  • Like 5

SallyD beat me to the dust.

Checking for dust would be one of the first things I'd try, run a air compressor through it etc.

Why get a mac when you can dual boot windows 7 and OSX on the same machine? :P

• Like 1