The Corroboree
klip247

brugmansia & bees

I was wondering if bees collecting nectar from brugmansia flowers often would cause the honey to be toxic?

I'm not sure what the science is behind it, but I know that that particular issue has been a matter of concern in some honey-producing regions of Europe. I recall reading somewhere of a region of Germany where Brugmansia cultivation was prohibited because of the strong local honey industry.

Yeah, Iv definitely heard of people being poisoned by honey made from datura and brugmansia pollen. All parts of the plant contain tropanes including the pollen, so it makes sense.

Yes it can produce toxic honey, would depend on the location of the plants and degree of reliance on nectar feeding.

Oleander is another to be aware of, there are a few other notable cases - typically the nectar in non-toxic to the bees.

hives

Beehives are removed from agricultural areas when poppy crops are grown broadacre :wink:

Cheers

WB

Hmmm.. excellent feedback this is quite risky business, looks like I'm going to have to do some brainstorming.

"Beehives are removed from agricultural areas when poppy crops are grown broadacre :wink:"

Really? Does the resulting honey from an almost exclusively poppy colelcted hive have any effects on people?

I once watched a episode of the hairy bikers and they where in a county (cant remember where) which had psychoactive honey.

So its defiantly possible that the poppy honey might give some opiate like effects.

• Like 1

I once watched a episode of the hairy bikers and they where in a county (cant remember where) which had psychoactive honey.

So its defiantly possible that the poppy honey might give some opiate like effects.

Thats pretty cool, should start a hive in my garden, who knows what the honey will do evil2.gif

• Like 2

This isn't really related, but i remember reading somewhere that in some parts of the middle east they would grow Cannabis plants next to bee hives and enjoy the THC ridden honey. Sounds like an interesting concept if you ask me.

Is there any scientific data proving that there are indeed tropanes present in both the nectar and pollen of Brugmansia or is it all just hearsay?

EDIT: - just realized I'v already posted pretty much what i was going to say :slap: I shouldnt post things first thing in the morning

Edited by poisonshroom

And maybe this one too;

Attraction, deterrence or intoxication of bees (Apis mellifera) by plant allelochemicals.pdf

peace

cornilius maximus

Attraction, deterrence or intoxication of bees (Apis mellifera) by plant allelochemicals.pdf

need shit loads of brugz growing like shit loads and no other flowers in tha area!! 4 tha honey to b toxic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would think, but the tropanes in brugmansia and datura are very potent (a couple of mg could kill you)

• Like 1