The Corroboree
tipz

supposed deadly new drug hits adelaide

THE emergence of an illicit drug is causing concern for police in Adelaide, with one death and a number of overdoses already.

Methylenedioxypyrovalerone or MDPV has also been responsible for some users experiencing severe psychotic episodes.

"MDPV is particularly concerning as its effects are similar to methylamphetamine, but it is much more potent and therefore toxicity is much more likely," a police spokesman said.

"In South Australia, MDPV has recently been sold as methylamphetamine, but at a reduced price.

"Users are referring to the drug as Scat Cat, 666 and Meow-Meow."

While MDPV is active in small doses, larger amounts are often consumed, leading to a difficult comedown.

Users have reported massive urges to re-dose, followed by feeling extremely unwell.

Some have also engaged in bizarre behaviour, including ripping at their skin after hallucinating that they are covered in spiders or insects, or running around on rooftops.

The man who died in December came from Murray Bridge. Police say that area appears to be a hotspot for MDPV distribution.

There have been about 30 seizures of the drug in SA in recent weeks, mostly around Murray Bridge but also across Adelaide.

In each case, only small amounts were found.

No one has been caught trafficking or dealing in the drug, which sells for 60 to 75 per cent of the usual price of amphetamines.

Police are unsure if MDPV on the streets is being manufactured locally or has been sourced from interstate or overseas.

Drug Investigation Branch Detective Superintendent Des Bray said short-term effects included rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, nausea, stomach cramps, digestive problems, increased body temperature, chills, sweating headache and dizziness.

More severe effects can include paranoia, confusion, psychotic delusions, violent behaviour and suicidal thoughts.

"A lot of amphetamine users have said that, having used MDPV and with the effects on them, that they would not use it again," Supt Bray said.

"But that doesn't help the other drug users out there who are likely to consider it as a cheap alternative to amphetamines.

"A packet of white powder in this hand and a packet of white powder in the other hand. What are they? You don't know.

"You're accepting what a stranger has told you. You've got no idea where they've come from, you've got no idea what's in them. I think you'd be crazy to consider it."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/deadly-new-drug-methylenedioxypyrovalerone-worries-sa-police/story-e6frea83-1226237191668

I thought meow-meow was mephedrone ? anyone heard anything more about this one ? Just more hype ? or a real concern ?

sounds exactly like what a friend was telling me about on the gold coast. he said they called it super coat or something like that. only a small amount was needed for a big effect apparently. no mention of the ride though. sounds like something to stay away from.

Whats next, we just explode? :slap:

if pv became widely available my guess is it wouldn't make much difference to the cost of speed.

I thought meow-meow was mephedrone ? anyone heard anything more about this one ? Just more hype ? or a real concern ?

mdpv AKA ivory wave. maybe some adelaide locals ARE calling it scat cat, meow etc but it (used to be?) better known as ivory wave.

not hype. it's a cheap, nasty and shorter lasting alternative to speed. it might get you just as high but the nootropic effect doesn't compare or so i have heard.

speed is better by a long shot, especially when nobody can afford to take ridiculous amounts of speed.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

heard the police talking about this on the radio this afternoon, even he was stating he had only heard it was being called meow meow but that was a diff drug and of even more concern as now you had people buying something they think is something else. if this was indeed happening.

MDPV is dangerous, dangerous drug! Highly addictive and active when smoked in small amounts. I went through 4g of the stuff within a 2wk period, put myself into complete delirium and then got placed into a rehab for 7 days. This drug is not to be toyed with.. it will have you addicted after using only a small amount and you won't stop until it's gone! The experience I went through from using this chemical I hope to use what knowledge I gained to warn/scare others away from trying this stuff if they ever come across it. It is seriously a life-ruining drug guys.. I've never found anything in my life more addictive than what MDPV was..

I knew it wouldnt be long until this drug made the steets as a cheap alt. to amphetamines.. It will destroy every good thing you have going in your life!

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade
  • Like 1

i dunno how to say this nicely.

yes it is a dangerous, dangerous drug.

yes a lot of people would have done what you did.

but what were you thinking?

• Like 1

Probably the most addictive drug I am aware of.

Many intelligent and conscious people have become highly addicted to this, when *everything else* has remained somewhat of a curious passtime.

Much more addictive than meth or cocaine... it is up there with crack cocaine.

I also believe it is plain bad for you. And the payoff's/returns on habitual use are minimal... it is just "rating pushing a button" land.

A lot of psychedelic people stayed away from it, because psychedelics stop working for quite some days after doing it! But for the self destructive set - this stuff is real trouble.

for a MIMS-like chapter on drug effects and interactions, cunts have written the following entry for MDPV. cunts are quite impressed by the consistent reports of its morish properties and it does indeed appear to be very addictive.

MDPV (3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone)

Class. Stimulant.

Synonyms. Methylene dioxy pyrrolidine ketone (MDPK).

Last revised. 28 November, 2011.

200px-MDPV.svg.png

MDPV is a relatively uncommon stimulant with reports of use first emerging in the mid-2000s. MDPV’s stimulant effects are reminiscent of amphetamine and cocaine, and it appears to also possess aphrodisiac properties. Use may be characterised by compulsive re-dosing.

History. First developed by German pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim in 1969, but was never marketed to the public. Reports of recreational MDPV use first emerged in 2005.

Appearance. Hydrochloride salt presents as fine hygroscopic powder with a tendency to clump. Colour may range from white to yellow-tan with fish or bromine-like odour that increases with degradation.

Related compounds. Mephedrone; methylone.

Mechanism. Noradrenaline-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI).

Psychoactive effects. At low doses, possesses stimulant effects that have been likened to methylphenidate, and at higher doses, cocaine and amphetamine. Although used for its aphrodisiac effects, MDPV does not appear to possess any entactogenic properties.

Pharmacokinetics.

Oral. Approximately 5 mg. Onset up to 15-30 minutes, duration of 2-7 hours and hangover effects lasting 2-48 hours.

Intranasal. Approximately 3 mg. Onset within 5-20 minutes, duration of 2-3.5 hours and hangover effects lasting 2-48 hours.

Adverse reactions.

Limited data available. The following adverse reactions have been reported anecdotally, although the frequency with which they may occur is unknown: increased heart rate; anxiety; tremor; agitation; compulsive re-dosing; insomnia; abdominal pain; jaw-clenching; teeth grinding; panic reaction; psychosis.

Contraindications. Limited data available; as per other stimulants.

Drug interactions. Limited data available; as per cocaine.

Harm minimisation. Given its potency, doses of MDPV should be measured using an accurate scale. Anecdotal and clinical reports suggest MDPV to be strongly habituating, and may be characterised by compulsive re-dosing. Dosing should be closely monitored to prevent cumulative toxicity resulting from prolonged use. In the absence of sufficient toxicological data, abstinence from MDPV and other research chemicals is strongly advised.

Toxicology. LD50 unknown.

3mg intranasal? Wow, thats some strong stuff.

I haven't come across it myself but from what I have heard I would stay well away from it.

Research chems brought in to circumvent drug laws generally have a fairly limited history of use and in most respects can be far more dangerous than the drugs they are being sold to substitute. Stupid people taking substances without knowing the 1st thing about them is another big issue I have friends that have got them self in really bad places as a result of Research Chem use and these are very experienced users who do an huge amount of reaserch before taking anything the problem is compound by contamination of material and or potenial mislabelling as we saw a few years ago with the whole 2cb fly that was actually bromo still people will never learn

meow-meow is a wuzzem drug compared to woof-woof! :wink:

• Like 1

Recently, I smoked seven consecutive cones of potent mix from a high end addict, and it didn't really do anything.

This is the thing about it... it doesn't DO THAT MUCH. It is like Cocaine without the warmth and rounded corners.

when will people come with a SAFE, FUN, INTELLIGENCE, CREATIVITY, DISIPLINE & SPIRITUALITY BOOSTING, HEALTHY, PSYCHEDELIC CURE ALL DRUG FOR EVERYDAY USE which can also be used when operating heavy machinery, pregnant or nursing?????

That stuff I waaaaaaant!!!!!!

Few years back there was talk about a promising drug called dragibus. Very illusive drug. Now they are using that name as the name for an Entheogen mag. :-)

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LMAO :worship:

Recently, I smoked seven consecutive cones of potent mix from a high end addict, and it didn't really do anything.

This is the thing about it... it doesn't DO THAT MUCH. It is like Cocaine without the warmth and rounded corners.

what is a cone of potent mix?

i can't say for sure but if you ate a whole cone full of mdpv at once you might need a hospital or something

Doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Having experienced addiction issues before, I could see something like this really kicking my ass.

I suppose the main concern here, is that fuckwits are going to pass it on as something it is not, with no warning or disclosure of what it is they are really distributing. Anyone that does that - deserves some knee problems IMO.

Edited by tipz

MDPV is dangerous, dangerous drug! Highly addictive and active when smoked in small amounts. I went through 4g of the stuff within a 2wk period, put myself into complete delirium and then got placed into a rehab for 7 days. This drug is not to be toyed with.. it will have you addicted after using only a small amount and you won't stop until it's gone! The experience I went through from using this chemical I hope to use what knowledge I gained to warn/scare others away from trying this stuff if they ever come across it. It is seriously a life-ruining drug guys.. I've never found anything in my life more addictive than what MDPV was..

I knew it wouldnt be long until this drug made the steets as a cheap alt. to amphetamines.. It will destroy every good thing you have going in your life!

It’s cheap & nasty – feels good, motivating but something’s missing. Compulsive re-dosing makes it difficult to have any around. The slide toward psychosis is subtle and hard to see in oneself. I currently have a friend in psychiatric detention and he was using this substance.

Personally I shall be steering clear of this one and advising anyone else to do likewise.

• Like 1