The Corroboree
tripsis

Eulychnia castanea forma varispiralis

Just discovered this amazing cactus, so thought I'd share it with others if they hadn't seen it.

Eulychnia castanea forma varispiralis

Spiral form:

e_castanea_spiralis_d_600.jpg

e_castanea_spiralis_c_600.jpg

e_castanea_spiralis_b_600.jpg

Discoid form:

Eulychnia_mostruosa_disc_shaped_810.jpg

Eulychnia_varispiralis_disc_shaped_apex_540.jpg

Crested form:

Eulychnia_castanea_varispispiralis_cristata_810.jpg

Eulychnia_mostruosa_crestata_540.jpg

Monstrose form:

Eulychnia_mostruosa_810.jpg

Eulychnia_castanea_varispiralis_mostruosa_03_810.jpg

Amazing! I would love a few of these plants, though I suppose it's unlikely it's in Australia. Found this particularly interesting:

NOTE: All this form are only growing variant of the same clone, each new branch must show one (or a mix) of the four growing mode and each plant is unique and different.

Fuck! The spines poking out from the crease look evil!

There are Eulychnia castanea about, i'm sure if one was to put in enough seed chances are you would get the odd funky one.

Although treating the seed with a mutagen would probably help things along.

awsome thanks for shareing

"NOTE: All this form are only growing variant of the same clone, each new branch must show one (or a mix) of the four growing mode and each plant is unique and different."

Similar to the monstrose/cresting T. pachanoi and T. bridgesii no doubt. I wish some of this other growth could be found in Trichocereus.

~Michael~

Does anyone have any experience with this plant ?

I have a discoid form and am keen to induce pupping ( most likely via the application of BAP)

Where exactly are the areoles on this species ? Is it just anywhere the spines are protruding ?

Also does anyone know how they normally pup, or what size they grow to, or anything about this species ? I am finding it very hard to find detailed information.

I've had no experience with any of the abnormal forms Tipz

If there is a spine it is coming from an areole.

Its a clump forming species, more of a low rambling shrub than anything. Always branching from the ground, i've not seen one get taller than about 40cm but they could well get a bit taller over time. Its one of the few south americans with really prickly fruit which is quite sour, about on par with a lemon.

They are/were one of the species utilized as a food plant before missionary's arrived and their basic culture is similar to most other cacti from the region, I dont remember anything more ATM, needz coffee

• Like 2