The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

Shaman's Guide

~~~The Shaman's Guide to being a Trip-Sitter~~~

*"Freak-outs", panic attacks, intense anxiety, etc. -

Calm them and be reassuring;

Explain that the feelings will pass;

Steer them clear of crowds, noisy music and bright lights; Put them in a quiet, dim but not completely dark area.

If they're hyperventilating (over-breathing) encourage them to relax, and take long, slow, deep breaths.

*It is common for many people to experience-

Ego-death

???

*Some words of Advice-

Always research the substance you plan on ingesting and know all the possible dangers and take the necessary precautions to stay safe.

Never mix various types of drugs. This includes mixing psychoactives with medicinal drugs such as pharmaceutical medications, etc.

When using a new substance which you have never before used, or a new batch, try a small dose first to see how your body will react, then proceed SLOWLY!

NEVER attempt to drive, operate machinery or perform other hazardous acts while under the influence of ANY psychoactive and/or drug.

Make your experience as positive as possible by choosing where, when and with who you trip with, this is especially important.

Do not trip during times of stress, depression or anger, wait until the time is right for you.

Women should NEVER use ANY substances when pregnant and/or lactating or breast feeding. Couples (both the male and the female) should not use any substances while trying to conceive a child.

Blatant public intoxication is unacceptable.

Drugs are NOT for children (people under 17 years of age).

Dosing another human with a drug, chemical or psychoactive without their knowledge and consent is considered a form of assault.

Habitual use of ANY substance is considered negative and unhealthy, all psychoactives should be used in moderation.

"This will be over very soon, you don't have very long to explore this state of mind."

"Anything that arises let it pass, be it euphoria or sorrow, contemplate your existence in this exact moment."

“Expect everything, expect nothing. Accept anything.”

*Precautions- ???

Take a tester "micro-dose" a few days before doing a true dose with any substance which you have never before ingested in your life to make sure they are no allergic or otherwise adverse effects.

Drink plenty of water during the experience.

*The Entheogenic Experience-

)Intro-

Trip-sitter should act as driver and a guide, change the music etc.

projecting a soothing presence. Set and setting.

)Prepare the area-

Whether you go camping or stay home, sit out on a beach or next to the fireplace in your living room, you need to prepare the area. Remove things that bind your to your normal, everyday scope of reality. Clean up your area, remove any clutter or much of anything to get distracted with and caught up in everyday reality. Get some pens, pencils, papers and such so you can draw, or your could ever paint. Have some relaxed enjoyable music. I think one of the best things to do while trippin' is to watch natural, if that's a campfire, or a sunset, some deer of in the distance, clouds, birds, whatever... I always find that very enlightening and comforting.

have some food, ready

losing all sense of time is very important., so cover all clocks

Turn off telephones

Burn sense incense, cleanse the area and make it into a holy space

)Prepare yourself-

Fasting- don't eat 3-7 hours before ingestion, empty stomach

Take off your clothes and put this lion cloth on

Dunk you in cold water

Massage

Steam bath

Mud bath

Clean you up and soap you

Shave head

Clip finger nails and toenails

Tuning Forks

Meditation

Yoga and stretching

Burn Incense

Write down a question, have a clear intent

Pray- say i am all yours, please don't hurt me, etc.

Follow the nessicery diet and fasting period required by the entheogen of your choosing.

read plant med.

)Ingestion-

Methods of Ingestion-

Sublingual/Buccal Administration- Absorbed through the mouth. Sublingual literally means "under the tongue". Buccal administration means that the actives are absorbed through the cheek or gums.

Oral Administration-Taken by mouth, ingested and absorbed by the stomach and intestines.

Rectal Administration- Absorbed through the anus

Transmucosal Administration or Insufflation- snorted or

Transdermal Administration- Topically applied to the skin or

Inhalational or Inspiration- Smoking absorbed by the lungs

Drop it in ya eye- This is dangerous and not recommended.

Vaginal Administration (Females Only)-

Everybody knows that good medicine always taste bad!

)Coming-Up (Take off)-

wait and hour then smoke some cannabis

use ginger and mint etc for nausea

Datura for nausea (DANGEROUS)

)The experience-

Singing, Music, Chanting and/or Drumming, etc.

Reading of Holy Scriptures from various faiths (the sober, sitter reads)

Absorb the stars, mists and moonlight

Find a Sacred place (Scared Grove).

Dress in strange costumes. Wear body paint.

Pretend your an animal of your choosing.

Fire dancing/Fire jumping

Make Music with instruments, singing or chanting. Listen to music.

Howl at the Moon

Meditate.

Spirit-Walk- Walk through the wilderness at night

Lie in comfortable, silent contemplation

Look out over a beautiful landscape.

Write, paint or draw.

Prayer

Burn Incense

)Peaking-

Silent darkness is best

)Coming-Down (Landing)-

have some food, ready

)Afterglow-

~~~Practices~~~

Communion (taking of bread and wine as the body of Jesus Christ)

Prayer (talking to God, both silently and out-loud)

Meditation (Silent quieting of the mind/emptying of the mind)

Entheogenic Ceremonies

Singing, Music, Chanting and/or Drumming, etc.

Reading of Holy Scriptures from various faiths- Mainly Christianity, Buddhism, Baha’i, Taoism, etc.

Absorb the stars, mists and moonlight

Minor services each Sunday and major services on the last weekend of each Moonth.

*Shamanic technique, Healing methods, etc.-

Sweat-Lodge

Water, Herb or Ayahuasca Enema

Pumice and Soap Scrubs, Hot Showers/Baths

Lots of Exercise

Ingestion of "Detoxifying" substances- Reishi mushrooms, Kombucha, Green/White Teas, Cranberry Juice, Chili Peppers, Citrus Fruits, etc. ??????

Waxing and/or Removal of Body Hair

*An Ethnobotanist/Shaman's Tool-Kit

Stainless Steel Pots (Large to small) [3-5]

Spoons, Cutting Board and other general kitchen equipment

Jars, Tins, Boxes and Bags (For storage) specifically amber glass jars

Knifes, Machete, Hachete, etc.

Fire

Hand-Grinders

Scales ( .1g)

Mortar and Pestle

Shot Glass

Special Cups (For drinking plant brews)

Metal Cigarette Case

Pure Drinkable Alcohol 95%+ (For extractions)

Strainers of all sorts and sizes (including cheese cloth)

Drying Rack and/or Dehydrator

“Infuser” French Press and/or Tea Pot

“Pint Glasses” Beer and Wine/Spirit Glasses

Washable Heavy Duty Machine Grinder (powerful enough to handle hard woody plants)

Intent focusing objects- crystals, rocks, gems, wands, feathers, rare/powerful plants or dried botanicals, Alters, Skulls, etc.

Smudging Herbs- Sage (Salvia species),

Burner diffuser, copal burner- incense, etc.

Tuning forks, Bongos, Didgeridoo, etc.

Basket, bucket or cloth bag for wildcrafting

Funnels of various shapes and sizes

Cheese cloth and other cloth filters

Sissors

Labels, labels of all sorts, plant labels, jar labels, paper labels, plastic labels, metal labels!

Dehydrator or some sorts

~~~Herbal Medical Kit~~~

Tweezers

Razor blades

Salve for wounds, burn, stings, etc. (disinfectant) - Thyme, myrrh, tea tree, oregono, yarrow, plaintain,

Linament for sore muscle, pain, etc. - Camphor, menthol, capsicum, myrrh, goldenseal, st. john's wort,

Milk Thistle extract for poisoning

Activated Charcoal for poisoning

Syrup of Ipecac as an emetic

Bandages of all sorts, cloth

Benedryl

Epi-pen

Ephedra sinica, Licorice, Lobelia inflata potent tincture

"Freak-Out" Formula- Valerian, Chamomile, Kava, Skullcap, Motherwort,

Pain killer - Willow, Meadowsweet, Myrrh, Lactuca virosa, Kratom, Poppy, Corydalis yanhusuo, Yellow Poppy, Salvia miltiorrhiza

Herbs for Nausea- Ginger, Mint, Cannabis, Datura

Organic clean solution- Vinegar, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, myrrh oil, wintergreen oil, camphor oil, citrus peel, citrus oil, lemon/lime juice, vodka/everclear,

Camphor, just pure Camphor for sinus problems, sedation, making a fire, keeping bugs away, etc.

Herbal Laxitive

Cold/Flu Syrup - Elderberry, honey, Encaneacia,

*Tools of Administration

Insufflation/Snuffing Equipment- Cohoba platter and blow tube

Smoking Equipment- Pipe, Papers, etc.

Enema Equipment- ???

Llipta, Edible Lime, etc. (For quids or chews)

*What Shamans Do-

Foretell the future

Heal the sick

Get information from the "Other-World"

Divine dreams

Travel to different planes of existence and through alternate dimensions

Channel energy

Trip sit

Calculate the moon calendar and such

Initiate

*Notes on how to work with Plants/Herbs-

*Grind materials just before use.

*Always purchase WHOLE plant material, never ground.

*Fresh plants are almost always better than dried.

*Make sure you herbs are fresh! Know exactly when they were harvested!

*Harvest when the energy is in that part of the plant, eg-root in winter.

Edited by Teotzlcoatl
  • Like 3

• I disagree that cannabis is good for nausea, whilst tripping. Many people I have talked to have only bad things to say about combining cannabis and psychedelics. It is certainly not something that would be advisable for a newcomer who is put off by nausea. If you are habituated to cannabis - then that's 99% alright, but if you are as new to the psychedelic as to cannabis - then I do not recommend it, and instead recommend to lie down and ride out the nausea, or just plain have a spew. Your stomach doesn't usually lie.

Vaginal Administration (Females Only) - lol

• And lastly, I notice you haven't written much about having "seemingly negative" experiences. This guide seems to have more of the "abstinence and avoidance" approach to this type of experience. In my experience, I usually achieve transcendence (the full-on spiritual rebirth) with an extremely difficult period prior (although the reverse is not always true). I find that it's best not to run from these difficult experiences, but to instead figure out why you are having them in the first place. It's not very responsible for me to write a quick and nasty guide to these experiences - so I won't. But I strongly believe that they are by far the most beneficial trips that you can experience, and that they are not to be feared.

Edit: And great guide otherwise. :)

Edited by βluntmuffin
  • Like 2

I know this is very incomplete and I figured people here would have good things to add!

I agree that smoking cannabis while tripping is too psychoactive to pretend you're taking it for nausea. A number of people generally advise against it while on some psychedelic, which is understandable in practice, even if you are habituated in pot. It might be more appropriate in the tail end of the experience though... or in very tiny amounts during a trip.

good idea on the list dude, could be worked up to be something...

*It is common for many people to experience-

Ego-death

???

here you might add

enhancement of all senses, binding of senses, sense of epiphany, apocalypsis, religious feelings, euphoria, stimulation

fear, agoraphobia, anxiety, bliss,

but you might wanna write a proper text instead of a list.

Precautions should not be list too I think.

precautions and what to expect could be given in bold

just saying

Take a tester "micro-dose" a few days before doing a true dose with any substance which you have never before ingested in your life to make sure they are no allergic or otherwise adverse effects

see i wonder about this; i often see it used in erowid reports. i am no expert but i am pretty sure that by definition an allergic response can only happen to something you have already been exposed to...it might just be a certain kind of allergic reaction. in any case when this happens it does so BECAUSE you have been exposed to it before. so technically i think you should do at least two 'allergy' tests.

i also strongly agree with the not using cannabis to quell nausea...of course everyone is different but it only ever makes me feel sicker :S

also you have said "don't combine drugs EVERRRRRR" and then later "use cannabis whilst coming up". ...bit inconsistent?

Great start to what could be a very useful list/guide. Well done! You could add separative funnel to your tool kit section (unless you covered that in funnels in general)

I find cannabis to be a stomach settler most times but also find it a kicker...

Great list man keep it up

I think cannabis is one of the best things for nausea if used as nausea starts and well before tripping. I however i try to avoid it as it can make a trip come on very quick and intense which can shock the body into a bad trip. It can also do the opposite and bring you down or stop a trip completely which i find weird.

Carl is right, cannabis can do unexpected things!

Certain sativa strains have some degree of ability to potentiate psychedelics. I learned that lesson rather abruptly once long ago while peaking on 3 hits of acid, a single hit of an odd-ball sativa strain I got amplified the acid by a factor of Ten almost instantaneously, rocketing me to gumby-land. Same exact thing happened to a friend who took his hit before I could even begin to recognize what was happening- no placebo. For a decade after that the strain name 'short 14' had profound meaning in my group :lol:

What I wouldnt pay to repeat that experience these days...

And for nausea- sugared bud can easily cause nausea.

If your a seasoned enough tripper to be ok with intense sensory experiences while tripping, crystallized ginger is much more reliable and benign for reducing nausea.

sugared bud can easily cause nausea.

WTF is sugared?

Will everyone be happy if I just add a note- "May cause a more intense experience, use with caution"

I find I have a hard time tripping unless I do smoke cannabis!

Sugared bud is bud sprayed with sugar solution to increase the weight and make it seem denser and stay moister.

Its one of many adulterants or 'bricking' agents used and it drove me nuts during the period I really did use cannabis medicinally lol.

Other agents used are stuff such as antifreeze, iron filings, dirt, broken glass, inventive mixes of hardware store chems, etc. Really sugar is one of the less offensive ones. There was a thread about it, have a cure ready for the nausea that will ensue when you read what some people do to the weed they sell.

Where do you live?

We don't get anything like that here. Our bud is 100% pure, some of it organic, we even know the strains and such.

"May cause a more intense experience, use with caution"

said the shotgun to the head :lol:

if i can offer anything i would say should be inversely proportionate to whatever else you've taken, just common sense if you're on a heroic dose it may not be a good idea, but at the same time it can show you how great a mild trip can be

Edited by bulls on parade
  • Like 1

Good point.

Does anybody have anything to add to the body of my guide? I know I'm missing lots!

3500th post!

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Where do you live?
For the sugared bud thing thats when I lived in seattle in the 90's, he was only my minor supplier tho, other was pristine. Really the adulterated crap shows up any place thats not a major production area. The link I posted shows some of the more blatant adulteration that goes on in some areas, in other areas its more just dirty shit weed. Right now I live in a one-gang town, all drugs are run by a mexican cartel, meth is more profitable so thats the main drug but they also use hydraulic presses to press seeded cannabis plants into drive shafts to drive up here- half stem and seeds pressed into a rock with bits of rust and dirt in.

Its all dependent on supply and presence or absence of competition.

Sugar is a good thing to have around, allthough not stuck to your bud. If you see a person starting to wig out, usually a hit of sugar, either a sugary drink or jelly beans or snakes or such. Really does help in a lot of cases

Sugar is a good thing to have around, allthough not stuck to your bud. If you see a person starting to wig out, usually a hit of sugar, either a sugary drink or jelly beans or snakes or such. Really does help in a lot of cases

Yep hypoglycemia is a bitch, those jelly beans that you get from the chemist are the best, both medicinally and tastewise.

SUGAR? ....stops a freak out?

Edited by Teotzlcoatl