Common Name-

"Diviner's Sage"

Botanical Description-

Origin & Native Habitat-

Mexico

History & Traditional Use-

Germination-

Cultivation-

Water when the top of the soil becomes dry (Once a week at the least). Mist often in addition to watering (Bi-weekly at the least).

Use fish emulsion, seaweed extract and other organic fertilizers 1-3 times per month during the growing season.

Salvia divinorum requires diffused, mottled indirect sunlight and part shade for most of the day, but likes a bit of direct sunlight at dawn and/or dusk or in cooler periods or climates.

Soil for Salvia species-

Organic Potting Mix (Compost)

Bark and Twigs

Coco coir (as a soil admixture and a top dressing)

Perlite

Pumice (at the bottom for drainage)

Propagation-

Propagated by cuttings which can be rooted in water.

Harvest-

To harvest Salvia divinorum snap leaves off at the base of the leaf near the main stem of the plant.

Fresh green leaf is harvested just before use.

Preparation & Storage-

Leaf is prepared by removing the central vein and stem of each leaf. The leaves should not be stored but chewed as fresh as possible. Leaf may be dried and chewed or smoked at a later date but offers a markedly different experience once dried.

Active Constitutes-

Safety & Precautions-

Ingestion-

Effects from Salvia divinorum are best obtained by picking leafs directly from the plants, quickly preparing and immediately chewing 7-33 large leafs.

Remove the main vein in the stem and then rolls the leaf halfs into a "cigar", chew this "cigar" and hold the chew wad of leafs in your mouth for about an hour.

The Experience-

Summary (Outré)-

[Notes-]

Salvias which may be related to S. divniorum-

Salvia cyanea (a synonym for Salvia concolor)

Salvia divinorum Clones or Cultivars-

Salvia divinorum "Bret Blosser #2" clone

Salvia divinorum "Catalina" clone

Salvia divinorum "Delicious" clone

Salvia divinorum "Luna" clone

Salvia divinorum "Wasson & Hofmann" or "Bunnell" clone

Salvia divinorum "Standard Blosser" or "Palatable" clone

Salvia divinorum "Cerro Quemado" clone

Salvia divinorum "Julieta" clone

Salvia divinorum "La Fuerza" clone

Salvia divinorum "Owens" clone

Paradox

Resilience

Salvia divinorum strains collected in the Sierra Mazateca and vegetatively propagated-

Salvia divinorum "Wasson & Hofmann" or "Bunnell" clone

Salvia divinorum "Standard Blosser" or "Palatable" clone

Salvia divinorum "Cerro Quemado" clone

Salvia divinorum "Julieta" clone

Salvia divinorum "La Fuerza" clone

Salvia divinorum "Catalina" clone

Salvia divinorum "Bret Blosser #2" clone

Salvia divinorum "Delicious" clone

(Reputed) Salvia divinorum Clones or Cultivars-

Paradox

Resilience

Green Witch Queen

Echo

Oracle

Enigma

Mystique

Sacred Spring

Appaloosa

Hanau

Maka

Salvia divinorum clones I already have in cultivation-

Salvia divinorum "Luna" clone

Salvia divinorum "Unknown" clone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~From sally source~~~

Paradoxic has kindly made me a knowledge contributor and asked me to compile some information about Salvia divinorum clones.

I know there are lots of various clones (also sometimes referred to as "strains") of Salvia divinorum, I'm trying to make a complete list of all of them and their origins and distinguishing characteristics.

Salvia divinorum Clones-

Salvia divinorum "Wasson and Hofmann" or "Bunnell" clone-

The original clone brought back to the United States and distributed around the world. The name "Wasson and Hofmann" was first applied to the clone in 1992 by the now-defunct ethnobotanical company "…Of the jungle". They began listing it in their catalog as the 'Wasson and Hofmann' clone to differentiate it from another clone they introduced the same year, "Blosser" or the "Palatable" clone. As it turns out, the "Wasson and Hofmann" clone is misnamed. This strain was not propagated from Wasson’s specimens—it was propagated from specimens that were obtained by another remarkable man, psychiatrist and ecologist Sterling Bunnell. It is quite clear from Wasson’s correspondence with Epling and others that he never brought live specimens of S. divinorum to the United States. The specimens that he obtained were all dried and pressed in Mexico. This clone is known to be both potent and reliable.

Salvia divinorum "Blosser" or "Palatable"clone-

A clone which was collected by anthropologist Bret Blosser in December 1991 and sold by the now defunct ...Of the Jungle ethnobotanical company.

Salvia divinorum "Cerro Quemado" clone-

A descendant of a Salvia divinorum plant collected by L.J. Valdes,III, (the first person to isolate Salvinorin A, the active chemical in Salvia divinorum) near the village of Cerro Quemado, Mexico in the 1990s.

Salvia divinorum "Luna" clone-

This is an unusual clone was discovered growing in a patch of the "Wasson/Hofmann" clone. It is either a sport of the "Wasson/Hofmann" clone that sprung up from the base of the surrounding plants, or it may have originated from a seed that fell from the neighboring plants. Given that it is extremely rare for Salvia divinorum to produce viable seeds and that any seedlings produced tend to be very weak, it is most likely that this is actually a sport, possibly some type of polyploid. The leaf morphology is distinctive. The margin is more deeply serrated and the leaf is more roundish than ovate. This is a morphologically distinct clone.

Salvia divinorum "Julieta" clone-

A strain collected by Daniel Siebert from a Mazatec shaman in Huautla de Jimenez (in the Sierra Mazateca, Mexico) in 1999.

Salvia divinorum "La Fuerza" (The Force) clone-

A strain collected by Kathleen Harrison, ethnobotanist and former wife of Terence McKenna, in January, 2001.

Salvia divinorum "Owens" clone-

A strain collected by Jack Owens on Cerro Rabon (in the Sierra Mazateca, Mexico) in June, 2003. Jack Owens was a major supplier of dried Salvia divinorum leaves to the US from Mexico. He died at the beginning of September, 2004 and this strain is named in his honor.

Salvia divinorum "Paradox" clone-

A cutting from a seed-grown clone raised by Daniel Siebert in 1994. Salvia divinorum derived from seed grown plants is difficult to find and should contain valuable genetics. Of all of the seed-raised clones known, this is the only one that is visibly unique. The leaves have a slightly mottled appearance. This is a morphologically distinct clone.

Salvia divinorum "Resilience" clone-

A cutting from a seed-grown strain raised by Daniel Siebert in 2002. Salvia divinorum derived from seed grown plants is almost impossible to find and should contain valuable genetics.

Salvia divinorum "Appaloosa" clone-

This is a variegated clone that was discovered by "Sage Student" in 1999. It originated as a sport on an otherwise normal specimen in his collection. The clonal identity of the plant that produced it is unknown because it was purchased from a source that did not identify it (most likely it was the Wasson/Hofmann clone). The cause of the variegation has not been positively identified. It is probably a chimera (an individual containing genetically different tissues) that resulted from a somatic mutation. It does not appear to be caused by a pathological condition. The leaves are marked with patchy white or pale-green areas and the stems have white striping. The amount of variegation is quite variable: some leaves are heavily variegated, while others appear completely normal. Growth of the pigment-free cells is stunted, causing leaf and stem deformations. "Sage Student" describes how this clone was nearly destroyed soon after it was discovered-

"The original plant was nearly destroyed, because when I first noticed it I thought it was diseased. Fearing it would infect my healthy Salvia plants, I hurled it into the woods to die far away from my healthy Salvias. But I then had second thoughts about what I had done, and realized it might not be sick after all but could be a rare mutant worth saving. I had to crawl on hands and knees through poison ivy to retrieve it!"

This is a morphologically distinct clone.

Salvia divinorum "Phoenix" clone- Ph?enix (raised from seed in 2006 by Siebert; seed was from Carl's plants)

Huh?

Salvia divinorum "Moon Maiden" clone-

Raised from seed in 2006 by Siebert; seed was from Carl's plants

Salvia divinorum "Jupiter" clone-

Jupiter (raised from seed in 2007 by Siebert; seed was from Jupe's plants)

Salvia divinorum "Aquarian" clone-

This clone was raised from seed in 2006 by Siebert; seed was from Carl's plants.

Salvia divinorum clones collected in the Sierra Mazateca and vegetatively propagated-

Salvia divinorum "Wasson & Hofmann" or "Bunnell" (Collected by Bunnell in 19??)

Salvia divinorum "Palatable" (Collected by Bret Blosser)

Salvia divinorum "Cerro Quemado" (Collected by L.J. Valdés III in 198?)

Salvia divinorum "Julieta" (DS9902 - Collected by Daniel Siebert February 14, 1999)

Salvia divinorum "La Fuerza" (Collected by Kathleen Harrison in January, 2001)

Salvia divinorum "Owens" (Collected by Jack Owens in June, 2003)

Salvia divinorum "Catalina" (KH96 - Collected by Kathleen Harrison July 1996)

Salvia divinorum "Bret Blosser #2" (Collected by Bret Blosser in Huh?)

Salvia divinorum "Delicious" (DS9901 - Collected by Daniel Siebert February 11, 1999)

Salvia divinorum (Other) Clones-

Echo (#DS9401 - Siebert 1994 seed raised)

Oracle (#DS9402 - Siebert 1994 seed raised)

Paradox (#DS9403)

Enigma (#DS9404 - Siebert 1994 seed raised)

Mystique (#DS9405 - Siebert 1994 seed raised)

Sacred Spring (#DS9408 - Siebert 1994 seed raised)

Hanau (#DS9903 - Siebert 1999 seed raised)

Maka (#DS9904 - Siebert 1999 seed raised)

Ph?enix

Moon Maiden

Jupiter

Andromeda

Appaloosa

Luna- (#DS9401L)

Resilience

Green Witch Queen

Aquarian

Salvia divinorum "Lost Clones"-

Andromeda

Appaloosa

Valdés #1

Valdés #2

If you have any to add please let me know!

Rough draft... more tomorrow...

If anybody that has produced a Salvia clone (Jupe, Sea Mac, others) could please make an ID number for it, that would be great.

Some links with information about Salvia divinorum Clones-

Daniel Siebert's Info on Salvia divinorum clones-

http://www.sagewisdom.org/clones.html

Salvia divinorum Clone pictures-

http://sagewisdom.org/salviaphotos.html

Here we have an analysis of a few Salvia divinorum clones showing "Wasson and Hofmann" to be the most potent-

http://sagewisdom.org/phytochemical.html

Information on the Salvia divinorum "Andromeda" clone-

http://www.evenmo.com/seedling-cuttings.html

Quotes from Salvia divinorum Experts-

Daniel Siebert-

I am interested in determining whether or not some of the Mazatec's immediately contiguous neighbors, the Cuicatecs and Chinantecs, also utilize Salvia divinorum. I would also very much like to determine the identity of a plant called "Yerba de la Virgen," which according to a 1952 paper by Weitlaner was used by the Otomí people in the somewhat distant region of Tulancingo, Hidalgo in the same manner as Salvia divinorum. It would be fascinating if this turned out to in fact be Salvia divinorum; but even if it is not, it would be quite interesting to discover its identity.

I am also planning to look into the genetic diversity of Salvia divinorum. This plant very rarely produces seed, and even on the infrequent occasions when seed has been obtained, their viability has been quite low. Because of this, the plant is virtually always propagated asexually from cuttings. Truly wild, genetically diverse, seed-producing populations of Salvia divinorum have never been observed by botanists. At first glance, many populations of Salvia divinorum appear wild, but one must realize that the Mazatecs deliberately choose to plant it in out-of-the-way locations. They believe that it should not be grown where it will be seen by passers-by, lest it lose its power. In a humid environment, such as the wooded ravines in the Mazatec Sierras, stem sections quickly root when they make contact with moist soil. Once planted in such a location, the plant spreads asexually on its own within the immediate environment, propagating itself from branches that break off or fall over. After many years the plants becomes completely naturalized in that location, appearing quite wild. It is certainly possible that truly wild populations of Salvia divinorum exist somewhere. However, as I said, such populations have never been observed by botanists, and the Mazatecs I spoke with assured me that it does not grow wild, but is always introduced to a location through human effort. Therefore, it appears that this plant is a cultigen with very limited genetic diversity. It may be that there are relatively few genetically different clones of Salvia divinorum growing in the entire region, and it is entirely possible that this species is predominately monoclonal. I would like to collect more live specimens from a wide variety of locations throughout the region so that we can see if they appear to be genetically identical or not. This could be done using isozyme analysis or DNA fingerprinting techniques.

Salvia species which may be closely related to Salvia divinorum-

Salvia cyanea

Salvia concolor

Salvia

• Like 1

Got any citations for that post? I recognize a couple parts as direct copy-pasting from some published materials; representing it as your own work is dishonest. Also, when you don't cite sources for some of the types of information presented above, a conscientious reader has a difficult time knowing how seriously to take the information.

All I'm seeing is plagiarism and hearsay, and I know you're capable of better than that.

Also, a relatively minor quibble: Why title this post "Sage Genus" when you're only covering a single species in that very diverse genus?

Edited by entropymancer
  • Like 1

hearsay can be good info, and text's by sientists with reference can be absolut crap.

worse, this "crap" can be republished again and again, and often stopps the newer a more correct finding, from getting a brething space ( for example the coleus & sage saga).

i don't say this to defend totally the above post, i mention this just as food for thought.

teotz definately has put a lot of effort into this and has a lot of enthusiasm for sally research, and for this he ought to get at least some credit.

allowe me a selfpromoting sidetrack, which i only share because it tells how some things work out in out field of ethnbotany.

one of the few people who managed to produce salvia divinorum seeds and germinated them, had gotten the plants from me, when it was still legal to grow them in australia, and i'm proud of that....

Edited by planthelper

hearsay can be good info, and texts by scientists with reference can be absolute crap.

Yes, hearsay can be good info. But it still helps to know whether it comes from the authors personal experience, from their personal communications with other individuals (and if so, who those individuals are). This way you can actually take the reliability of the informant into account. And yes, scholarly articles can be full of crap... but it's good to be able to consult the original paper to get a sense of where it came from. One can get an idea of what sort of crap may slip out from a particular author, and what sorts of things they tend to be reliable on.

Citing sources is important. This allows the reader to trace back the information to its origins. And if the information turns out to be flawed, the responsibility for that is duly placed on the originator of the error rather than the one who took the information in good faith. Citing is especially important when posting copy-pasta, because without citations it's outright fraud.

teotz definately has put a lot of effort into this and has a lot of enthusiasm for sally research, and for this he ought to get at least some credit.

I believe that teotz has put a substantial amount of effort in and is capable of producing good work... which is why I'm so disappointed that he isn't citing sources. That's what separates quality research from simply collecting scraps of anonymous information: with quality research, the information is mounted onto the author's own framework, but serves also as a guide to the groundwork on which the research is based. We all stand on the shoulders of giants; so much the better if we acknowledge them.

I know how tempting it can be to take the lazy way and just write from memory, or add bits of info from a variety of sources without taking all the extra time to take down bibliography info from each source. But lazy habits lead to inferior results. If you're trying to be truly informative (as I believe teotz is), it's so much better to take the extra bit of effort to do things properly.

Edited by entropymancer

Not relevant, but Salvia elegens is a beautiful plant - one of my favourite in the garden. And the hummingbird type little guys hover by its flowers all the time.

salvia splendens extraxts are well worth researching :)

incog, did you do any salvia apiana work, as you said you would?

Thanks guys!

Yeah I def. need to site sources... I'll try to start doing that.

not yet ph these things take time :)