#1 dragonfly

dragonfly

Day Tripper

• Members2
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Climate or location:tropical north

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

What are some herbs that can stop or reduce bleeding immediately when taken. I am not talking about serious bleeding, just minor things such as nosebleeding or menstruation. I have tried shepherds purse but it had little effect.

#2 poisonshroom

poisonshroom

Senior Psychonaut

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Climate or location:Dry tropics

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

For cuts and things coca leaves are traditionally used because they constrict the blood vessels around the area and also act like a local anesthetic - they are crushed up and put on the wound rather than used externally. Shame the trees are illegal in almost all countries :angry:

#3 Zen Peddler

Zen Peddler

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Climate or location:Orbit

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Sheppard's purse is supposed to be good and some sources suggest this is due to ergot-like fungi that grow on it causing vasoconstriction. I read also that stinging nettle aint bad at reducing bleeding.

#4 mescalito

mescalito

needs to cool off for a while

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Music,philosophy,spiritualism,sacred and medicinal plants and ultimately healing through to the next realm of consciousness.
  • Climate or location:Two Story Town

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

I can't remember off hand, but there is a leaf you can roll and stick up the nostril that's bleeding........Yarrow?
Also Amalaki,Cayenne (yeah it hurts but works,but can be drank with warm water),Goldenseal,Chinese Wormwood....as for cuts tobacco applied and taped over or stuffed into the wound works wonders.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves

Abraham Lincoln

1832-1865

#5 prioritise

prioritise

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Climate or location:USDA 10

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Tobacco...? I gotta look this up sounds interesting!

#6 Sally

Sally

Conquistador

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Climate or location:Temperate

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

Mescalito said it before - Yarrow, it has been used to staunch bleeding for centuries.
When I was pregnant I was showing signs of miscarriage (bleeding) and the hospital basically told me to go home as there was nothing they could do.
Magicdirt said there is no way we are letting them go without a fight and he made me eat yarrow every hour until the bleeding stopped (about 5 hours) and then for another 3 hours after that. The babies both survived.
The yarrow that had been living happily on our verandah for 4 years died within days of the incident, we like to think it gave its life so the kids could survive.
Yarrow goes OK in a smoking mix too.
  • random likes this

Out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade, and yet the menace of the years, finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,how charged with punishments the scroll

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

Invictus - William Earnest Henly

#7 planthelper

planthelper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Climate or location:oz dry 240m, zone 10

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

we like to think it gave its life so the kids could survive.

:worship:
My Didgeridoo song

the mediator between head and hands must be the heart.

#8 shortly

shortly

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Interests:You can guess but you'd probably still be wrong
  • Climate or location:sub-tropical

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Not sure about any other herbs for stopping bleeding but i can say from bitter experience to definitely NOT take reishi if you are cut and or bleeding.
Reshi is a wonderful "herb" with lots of benefits including being a terrific anticoagulant.

#9 Zen Peddler

Zen Peddler

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Climate or location:Orbit

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Not sure about any other herbs for stopping bleeding but i can say from bitter experience to definitely NOT take reishi if you are cut and or bleeding.
Reshi is a wonderful "herb" with lots of benefits including being a terrific anticoagulant.

ive also found that panax ginseng, ashwaghanda and perhaps Rhodiloa rosea tend to make one bleed longer.

#10 Alchemica

Alchemica

Senior Psychonaut

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Climate or location:Temperate Tablelands

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

Can't help with the plants - there are surely some that would probably help. If you need other options:

The amino acid glycine (with added calcium salt source), applied as a concentrated topical solution, was found to be very effective in speeding up the blood coagulation process. Alum (aluminium potassium sulfate) is also effective: "It is frequently used topically and internally in traditional systems of medicine including Ayurveda, where it is called phitkari or saurashtri, and Traditional Chinese Medicine, where it is called ming fa"
[Link]

Chitosan rapidly clots blood. As does calcium-loaded zeolite (aluminosilicate mineral)

Anyone happen to know what an old product called Stype-Wool (sp?) was made of? Looked like cellulose... Might be mostly plant-origin but I can't find out anything else.
Extremely effective for stopping low-level bleeding from what I can remember, don't think they sell it these days though.