The Corroboree
Bretloth

Coconut milk fertilizer

I saw in a few posts awhile back people where talking about using coconut milk to promote growth and pupping. Just wondering if anybody has any experiences with this?

I havent heard of this, but sounds interesting?

As far as I can tell coconut milk contains cytokinins which supposedly promote pupping in cacti. I've givin a 400 ml can of coconut milk diluted in 10 litres of water with a dash of seaweed and monster bud to all my bigger cacti today, will soon see in a few weeks I suppose :wink:

• Like 4

Cool keep us posted if you notice any extra growth I've just hacked into a few of mine so would love to get them pupping before spring cheers

I think it works. Applied the above four times over two months. Finally got my biggest pedro to throw pups, others have also that have been previously reluctant. Interestingly a few seedlings I tried it on also pupped. I think it's more pupping than normal, but it is far from conclusive. One thing for sure, it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by Bretloth
  • Like 1

Not sure about inducing pupping, but coconut milk is excellent for root growth and general plant growth due to phytohormones it contains.

Cool bit about pupping, will have to try that come spring time.

post-11691-0-21297700-1351380974_thumb.j

post-11691-0-21297700-1351380974_thumb.jpeg

post-11691-0-21297700-1351380974_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

So just to confirm this is about coconut milk in a can (made from the flesh) not the coconut 'milk' which is the juice from coconuts?

The clear liquid endosperm from a fresh coconut would contain the most hormones (cytokinins).

Okay thanks. I just used a tin on some, I will try and find a fresh one to give that a go too.