The Corroboree
Philocacti

The life of a grafted button

Nice dude!

• Like 1

Yeah I somehow missed this until now too. Awesome job philo, absolutely stunning plant.

• Like 1

Thanks hh

I like your creativity with experimenting with grafts ;)

is a monster!

• Like 1

It is :)

I'm planning to get as much Stenocereus as I can and graft as many lophophoras as I can

I already have 2 on cuszco and according to they're age as grafts they seem to be on their way as this one ;)

• Like 2

What species of stenocereus do you like the best for grafting?

S. griseus, but I haven't tried any other species

• Like 1

I always wanted to try cuzco for grafting, seems like it could be a champ

Mutant I have 2 cusco varieties

One is really good as a stock, which I bought as seeds from koehres as T. Peruvianus

The other variety isn't that good. Although it grows really fast on its own, but every time I graft on it, it keeps on pupping from the base and the scion grows a little bit then stalls and eventually shrivels and dies

Dayumn! That's a fatty loph.

• Like 1

Very impressive plant mate! Great colour too.

• Like 1

Wow. Very cool!

What's going on in the pot underneath are those grafts or seedlings?

I'm curious to know if the spiral is growing to the Fibonacci sequence like a pine cone or the centre of a sunflower?

I'm curious to know if the spiral is growing to the Fibonacci sequence like a pine cone or the centre of a sunflower?

Yeah, all northern form williamsii do. They have 5,8 or 13 (stable) ribs. with this one in every 5 full (spiral) turns you cover 13 consecutive areoles; if you pick any areole as a reference point then the one above it on the same rib is the 14th and the one touching it on the next rib is the 9th.

• Like 3

What's going on in the pot underneath are those grafts or seedlings?

These are grafts on pereskiopsis

Yeah, all northern form williamsii do. They have 5,8 or 13 (stable) ribs. with this one in every 5 full (spiral) turns you cover 13 consecutive areoles; if you pick any areole as a reference point then the one above it on the same rib is the 14th and the one touching it on the next rib is the 9th.

This is very valuable info. Do you have a link with info like this, like the different growing pattern of different population? Edited by Philocacti
  • Like 1

Just a few quotes from Kaktusy Lophophora ed.:

Re williamsii

"The ribs are distinct, straight or spiralled in a maximum number of 13. Typically, horizontal notches form in the ribs. Sometimes the areolae merge into a nearly unbroken line."

"Among all the forms of L. williamsii, the Huizache form is the most variable in the regularity of ribbing. Heads with 5, 7 and 10 ribs can be found in a single cluster, and heads with 5, 8 or 13 ribs on another. Such variability in the rib count is unique, and no other form does this."

Re Koehresii

"The initially distinct ribs later breakdown, sometimes almost disappearing and transforming into low podaria."

"Young plants have five ribs, often straight, reminiscent of L. williamsii. The number of ribs increases to eight with age, when they also start showing the characteristic undulation. Adult plants typically grow up to around 6 cm in diameter and have 13 ribs ( up to 10 cm and 21 ribs in quite exceptional cases). The ribs break down into separate podaria in some specimens so that the ribs are no longer discernible."

Re Diffusae

"The ribs are often diffuse or indistinct. If ribs are produced, they may reach up to 21 in old plants. No shallow podaria are formed on the ribs separated by transverse horizontal notches."

I reckon even with plants that don't strictly follow the pattern, 5,8,13 and 21 should still be the dominant rib counts.

The book cactus primer also has a pretty neat explanation for these patterns and to get a more general idea look up the golden ratio in nature.

• Like 4